Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A couple of these on an ultralight for border patrol should do it.

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/galle...oto=15895&si=7

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/galle...oto=15895&si=7

The ideal sport hunting gun - kills, skins and cooks, slices as well by the
looks of it. No doubt the helicopter cant be bought off the shelf whilst the
gun can be?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/galle...oto=15895&si=7

The only problem with that is the gun and ammo would be more than twice
the weight of the airframe. Excellent thought though. I still like the
idea of setting up Barrett .50s every mile or so (so you could have
overlapping coverage) and when you see one set foot across the border
you plant a round between their legs. If that doesn't deter them plant
the next one center mass!

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 9, 2:07 pm, "Roger" wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

No doubt the helicopter cant be bought off the shelf whilst the
gun can be?

I've heard that Dillon has the ONLY license for machinegun armed
aircraft in the US.

I heard it from a fellow who imported several MiG-15's and found them
*fully* equipped on delivery. They were Chinese made and the
workmanship was exquisite.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GatherNoMoss wrote:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"GatherNoMoss" wrote in message
To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Stembridges had for sale/sold a 5.56 GE Minigun within the
last few years.
Advertised as legally registered on the NFA registry and
fully transferable.
Came with blank and live fire barrels, spare parts, training
etc. It was supposed
to be the gun used in the original "Predator" movie.

$125,000 was the asking price.

Still want one?

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Davenport's wrote:
To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

Naw. He meant AC-47.

DC-3 with the guns pointed out the side of the fusellage.

It was where the idea to build the C-130 gunships came from.

http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?id=123037200

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Davenport's wrote:
To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

The AC-47D was first used in about 1963 as a test. It worked so well
that the guy that came up with the idea convinced the Air Force to make
more of them. No, I DO NOT mean Spectre. The C-130 gun ship came after
Spooky and was stationed in Thailand. I have about 1200 hours on spooky
during my year in RVN in 1967-1968 and I DO know the difference between
a C-47 and a C-130 (I have over 2000 hours on the C-130 also.

Do a websearch for AC-47D and you'll find a BUNCH of information
regarding Spooks.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Davenport's wrote:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

The one I saw there was plain old C 47 (civilan DC 3 )
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:

The Davenport's wrote:

[...]

I had over 1200 hours on Spooky during my year ('67-'68) in RVN at Bien
Hoa. Check out www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/ac47.asp for a
fairly factual story on them. John Levitow was a friend of mine and a
fellow loadmaster. His actions to win the CMH happened shortly after I
left. He died of cancer a few years ago in Seattle. Some of the facts
in the "factsheet" are slightly erroneous, such as, we actually carried
24,000 rounds as stated before and we almost NEVER fired at 6,00 rpm.
It was too hard on the guns. Burned barrel clamps off and such. We
most often fired short bursts at the "slow fire" rate of 3,500 rpm. I
have some cool memories of those missions, including the one where a
bunch of APCs were being over run and the radio operatio said "We're
buttoned up. Go ahead and fire directly on us." We did and we could
hear the bullets bouncing off the armor and the VC screaming when they
got hit.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:01:58 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "The
Davenport's" quickly quoth:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

I thought the C-130s were nicknamed "Puff", as in Puff the Magic
Dragon, but that was the AC-47/DC-3.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...pooky-puff.htm

Dad flew C-123s over Nam in '66, dropping crates of chickens/pigs, and
cows from 1,000 feet on parachutes. It took several airmen to dump the
cow out of the aircraft. They were intended as stock for raising food
animals but most ended up slaughtered the minute they hit the ground.

--
My future starts when I wake up every morning...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:06:11 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"BillM" quickly quoth:

"GatherNoMoss" wrote in message
To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Stembridges had for sale/sold a 5.56 GE Minigun within the
last few years.
Advertised as legally registered on the NFA registry and
fully transferable.
Came with blank and live fire barrels, spare parts, training
etc. It was supposed
to be the gun used in the original "Predator" movie.

$125,000 was the asking price.

Still want one?

Hell yes! Thanks. I'd like one for Christmas, please.
The rest of you can send ammo. Got my address?

--
My future starts when I wake up every morning...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
-- Miles Davis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:16:18 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

GatherNoMoss wrote:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

And I love you for your service..and saving my young ass more than
once.

Spooky is a Life Saver (mine) and a widow maker (theirs)

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:01:58 -0600, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

Puff the Magic Dragon.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

do a google search for 'puff the magic dragon and vietnam'

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GatherNoMoss wrote:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

And I love you for your service..and saving my young ass more than
once.

Spooky is a Life Saver (mine) and a widow maker (theirs)

Gunner

I love telling the kids in school, I'm a substitute teacher, when they
ask me if I ever killed anybody, "Yes, three or four thousand" You can
almost hear their jaws thud on the floor. :-) I do it with such a
straight face and matter-of-fact manner. It was my pleasure to assist
our guys on the ground.
Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

Puff the Magic Dragon.

Gunner

That's the one. "Puff" was one of the names we carried. "Spooky" was
the tactical radio call sign we used. I flew on "Spooky 52" out of Bien
Hoa.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Davenport's" wrote:

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

I think he ment Puff the Magic Dragon,
http://www.1stcavmedic.com/glossary-...ac-47-puff.htm

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

$125,000 was the asking price.

Still want one?

Hell yes! Thanks. I'd like one for Christmas, please.
The rest of you can send ammo. Got my address?

I'm going to have to settle for building a gattling gun (hand cranked) from
RG-G plans. At least I will be able to afford to feed it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
Puff the Magic Dragon.
Gunner

That's the one. "Puff" was one of the names we carried. "Spooky" was
the tactical radio call sign we used. I flew on "Spooky 52" out of Bien
Hoa.

Jim

When were you there? I was there as a Civilian (tech rep) in the fall
of 65 for about 3 months.
Very intresting place. Saw Puff and the only place I ever saw a U2
take off. WOW talk about "homesick angles". :-)
Have some pictures of the hutches etc and a lot of Saigon I look
at once in a while. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Puff the Magic Dragon. Gunner

That's the one. "Puff" was one of the names we carried. "Spooky" was
the tactical radio call sign we used. I flew on "Spooky 52" out of
Bien Hoa.

Jim

When were you there? I was there as a Civilian (tech rep) in the fall
of 65 for about 3 months.
Very intresting place. Saw Puff and the only place I ever saw a U2
take off. WOW talk about "homesick angles". :-)
Have some pictures of the hutches etc and a lot of Saigon I look
at once in a while. :-)
...lew...

I was there from December of 1967 to November of 1968. I actually
started off at Nha Trang on "Bull**** Bombers" (psywar C-47s) but after
two flights with them and throwing nothing at Charlie but my frigging
lunch I went to Spook when they asked for volunteers. I figured that if
I was going to get my ass shot at, at the very least, I wanted to be
able to shoot back.

I've seen a couple of U-2s and you're right. I often wished that hte
skydiving planes that I jumped from could do that. It would have made
more jumps per day possible. :-) I also saw the SR-71 blast out of
Mildenhal England in 1982. It's no slouch either.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Have some pictures of the hutches etc and a lot of Saigon I look
at once in a while. :-)
...lew...

That's "hooch".

( that depends on wether you are from Boston, NJ, OK, or the
rest of the country) :-)
...lew...