Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hand soap--roll yer own

Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands---
one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general
purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one separately.

Jerry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:57:35 GMT, Jerry Wass
wrote:

Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands---
one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general
purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one separately.

Jerry

Dawn dish soap does a good job for me.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:57:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Jerry
Wass quickly quoth:

Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands---
one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general
purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Dollar store GP liquid hand soaps?

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one separately.

Have you mixed them in a single bottle yet?

I've found that before doing greasy mechanical work, if I squirt a bit
of diswashing detergent on my hands and rub them together, then wipe
them off, it leaves soap in the pores and makes it a whole lot easier
to get any further grime off them later that day.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 8, 7:57 pm, Jerry Wass wrote:
Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands---
one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general
purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one separately.

Jerry

Cheapest no-scent shampoo the drugstore sells (or whatever you can
cage from SWMBO). Shampoo, after all, is made for getting oily dirt
out. Works like a charm for shop crud, too. One of the few things
I've found that works for getting polishing residue off your hands
without scrubbing with a brush.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 9, 12:20 am, Larry Jaques
I've found that before doing greasy mechanical work, if I squirt a bit
of diswashing detergent on my hands and rub them together, then wipe
them off, it leaves soap in the pores and makes it a whole lot easier
to get any further grime off them later that day.

That also works well when installing fiberglass insulation.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Jim Wilkins wrote in article
On Dec 9, 12:20 am, Larry Jaques
I've found that before doing greasy mechanical work, if I squirt a bit
of diswashing detergent on my hands and rub them together, then wipe
them off, it leaves soap in the pores and makes it a whole lot easier
to get any further grime off them later that day.

That also works well when installing fiberglass insulation.

Pre-treatment with spray-on aniti-perspirant blocks the pores and helps
keep the glass strands from catching onto the skin in the first place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy
hands---
one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap
(general
purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one
separately.

Jerry

Cheapest no-scent shampoo the drugstore sells (or whatever you can
cage from SWMBO). Shampoo, after all, is made for getting oily dirt
out. Works like a charm for shop crud, too. One of the few things
I've found that works for getting polishing residue off your hands
without scrubbing with a brush.

I'll definitely give the cheap soap/Lava a try. One thing to check with
your favorite soap is whether it wants water or not. We use TKO from
ZEP at work and it always cuts greasy dirt best if I wet my hands before
putting on the soap, while a mechanic friend uses the big yellow bottles
(sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the brand) and it cuts grease way better
if you start with the soap, scrub away, and then only add water at the
end to rinse. Dawn doesn't seem to care either way. I always seem to
remember the gloves or pretreatment with soap trick just after I've
touched the first really greasy, grungy part I have to work on, sigh
:-). I definitely second the shampoo, as well. It seems that no matter
how much I scrub and brush under my fingernails they don't really finish
getting clean until the next time I shampoo my hair.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jerry Wass wrote:

Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands---
one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general
purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one separately.

Best I've found is Boraxo powdered hand soap. Wet hands first, sprinkle
power on hands, wring hands together for awhile, rinse.

I bought a powered soap dispenser and mounted it to the wall over the
utility sink.

SWMBO also likes it for cleaning her hands after a hard day of gardening.

http://www.amazon.com/Boraxo-Model-P...5DIAL/dp/B0002
ZWMRW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1197225081&sr=8-16 and

http://www.amazon.com/Boraxo-Origina...03/dp/B000638I
S2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1197225081&sr=8-2.

Or, the in-a-can version, also available in most grocery stores:
http://www.amazon.com/Boraxo-Powdere...WCM/ref=pd_bbs
_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1197225081&sr=8-1.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:07:07 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

I'll definitely give the cheap soap/Lava a try. One thing to check with
your favorite soap is whether it wants water or not. We use TKO from
ZEP at work and it always cuts greasy dirt best if I wet my hands before
putting on the soap, while a mechanic friend uses the big yellow bottles
(sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the brand) and it cuts grease way better
if you start with the soap, scrub away, and then only add water at the
end to rinse. Dawn doesn't seem to care either way. I always seem to
remember the gloves or pretreatment with soap trick just after I've
touched the first really greasy, grungy part I have to work on, sigh
:-). I definitely second the shampoo, as well. It seems that no matter
how much I scrub and brush under my fingernails they don't really finish
getting clean until the next time I shampoo my hair.

Hi Carl,

To get under the nails, try using the brush that surgeons use:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...59&cat=2,42551
I bought a pack of a dozen, kept one in the shop, the lab, each
bathroom, the kitchen, gave one to each of the girls to use in school,
and gave a few away. Liked 'em so much that I bought two more packs a
few months ago.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 08:20:29 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm,
Jim Wilkins quickly quoth:

On Dec 9, 12:20 am, Larry Jaques
I've found that before doing greasy mechanical work, if I squirt a bit
of diswashing detergent on my hands and rub them together, then wipe
them off, it leaves soap in the pores and makes it a whole lot easier
to get any further grime off them later that day.

That also works well when installing fiberglass insulation.

Ah, good tip. I'll have to remember to soap up me whole bod before
doing any insulation installations in the future.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
--John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To get under the nails, try using the brush that surgeons use:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...59&cat=2,42551
I bought a pack of a dozen, kept one in the shop, the lab, each
bathroom, the kitchen, gave one to each of the girls to use in school,
and gave a few away. Liked 'em so much that I bought two more packs a
few months ago.

Thanks for the tip, Terry. I've ordered a dozen and after I test one
I'll use some as door prizes at our next Buick car club meeting :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net
(remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jerry Wass wrote:
Quite by accident I discovered a really good cleaner for greasy hands---
one squirt Lava (w/pumice) plus one squirt Cheap glycerine soap (general
purpose soap found in Dollar stores & the like)

Works a whole lot better than 2 0r 3 squirts of either one separately.

Jerry

plain baking soda works great for getting grease off hands, if you get it
just wet enough to make a paste that doesn't run. Finish off with whatever
soap you prefer. It doesn't dry your skin, or tear into it, and has no
smell that lingers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Lava is good. I generally use Dawn at home, but I recently scored
about 5 gallon dispensers of GoJo Orange...

Gunner

Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal [email protected] Home Repair 168 July 14th 17 08:05 PM
Hand/Bath Soap jaygreg Home Ownership 1 December 23rd 06 08:37 PM
Dassault.Systemes.P3.CATIA.V5R17, GibbsCAM.2006.v8.0.17, Copra Roll Forming v2007, Ubeco Profil Roll Form v4.3, Mazak CPC, FANUC Robotics Simulation, Lantek, AMADA, other ... kashumoto_tokugawa UK diy 1 November 10th 06 07:18 PM
Building the roll part of a roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 24th 06 02:26 PM
Refinishing roll part of roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 June 2nd 06 02:31 PM