Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with poem

Something today triggered a line from a poem read as a
kid MANY years ago.
" The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl"

OK ! What is the name of the poem and where can I find
the rest of it? I've done the Google and Wikepidea bit
with absolutely no hits.
It's things like this that bug me about gettin old. :-(
Thanks for any clues.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl

http://www.mothergoosecaboose.com/JustforFunPoems.pdf

p53. Likely not it but I gave it a shot.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl

http://www.mothergoosecaboose.com/JustforFunPoems.pdf

p53. Likely not it but I gave it a shot.

Wes

Sounds kinda like Ogden Nash---but I don't have his book anymore-- Jerry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl

http://www.mothergoosecaboose.com/JustforFunPoems.pdf

p53. Likely not it but I gave it a shot.

Wes

Nope not it but a lot of others I remember. :-)
thanks.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:34:27 GMT, Jerry Wass wrote:
Wes wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl

http://www.mothergoosecaboose.com/JustforFunPoems.pdf

Sounds kinda like Ogden Nash---but I don't have his book anymore-- Jerry

Not Nash's style I don't think, something more Victorian. What context
do you know what you know of it from, Wes?

It's interesting that putting the words "puffin muffin griffin tiffen
owl" into google gets nothing useful at all.

Dave "WTF is a 'tiffen', anyway?" Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl

Ah, found something:

Goldstone, Bruce. The Beastly Feast, 1998.

The table is all arranged for the beasts to have their feast and
each creature brings a dish that rhymes. Puffins bring muffins and
moose bring juice, and so on, until a plethora of animals have an
assortment of delectable delicacies to choose from.

from: www.njyac.org/booklists/pdf/all.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9 Dec 2007 16:29:32 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

SNIP

Dave "WTF is a 'tiffen', anyway?" Hinz

My Collins dictionary says it is "a light meal taken at midday."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:
Dave "WTF is a 'tiffen', anyway?" Hinz

I think it's like meal you know "dinner" .
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:

The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl

http://www.mothergoosecaboose.com/JustforFunPoems.pdf

p53. Likely not it but I gave it a shot.

Wes

Sounds kinda like Ogden Nash---but I don't have his book anymore-- Jerry

FWIW I have several (5) Ogden Nash books and I looked
through all of them. No luck, nothing even close going by
the titles, which are pretty descriptive. He did publish
some Children's books though that I don't have and I'm not
familiar with. It may have been in one of those.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 20:31:15 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Something today triggered a line from a poem read as a
kid MANY years ago.
" The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl"

OK ! What is the name of the poem and where can I find
the rest of it? I've done the Google and Wikepidea bit
with absolutely no hits.
It's things like this that bug me about gettin old. :-(
Thanks for any clues.
...lew...

sounds awfully like something out of Dr Seuss.
I'm sure I've read it to the kids.(20 years ago)

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Something today triggered a line from a poem read as a
kid MANY years ago.
" The puffin had a muffin, the Owl a little fowl, and
Griffin for his tiffen ate the Puffin and the Owl"

OK ! What is the name of the poem and where can I find
the rest of it? I've done the Google and Wikepidea bit
with absolutely no hits.
It's things like this that bug me about gettin old. :-(
Thanks for any clues.
...lew...

sounds awfully like something out of Dr Seuss.
I'm sure I've read it to the kids.(20 years ago)

Stealth Pilot

No. For sure this was long before Dr Suess was published.
Probably in the 40s. when I was in grade school. About
the time I read Alice in Wonderland. etc. :-)
...lew...
ps. I read most of Dr Suess to daughter much later.
..l..

Mother's Day Poem raven UK diy 6 March 7th 07 10:54 PM
I LOVE YOU MY SCHOOL GIRL .... LOVE POEM avtar Woodworking 3 February 13th 07 01:56 AM
A Locksmith, a poem (More Like This::::) lester Home Repair 6 January 18th 06 10:03 PM
A Different Christmas Poem John Flatley Woodworking 0 December 25th 05 01:48 PM
OT - Turkey Poem Larry Jaques Woodworking 4 November 26th 04 07:35 PM