Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using newspapers to heat the shop

According to a GOOGLE search the BTU value of one pound of newsprint
paper is around 8,000 BTU's compared to 20,000 BTU's for one pound of
gasoline. I subscribe to three papers and at the end of a week the
total poundage of all those papers is probably 30 or 40 pounds. Heck
the Sunday papers alone add up to about 20 pounds.

Do any of you burn newspapers as a source of heat for your shop or
garage? What kind of stove and chimney are you using and is it worth
it? Any special hazards to watch out for?

T.I.A for any information,
Dennis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Jon is offline

I use it to heat the toilet seat! LOL, it burns too quickly even if rolled
into a log, makes a great fire starter though

Jon
"TwoGuns" wrote in message
According to a GOOGLE search the BTU value of one pound of newsprint
paper is around 8,000 BTU's compared to 20,000 BTU's for one pound of
gasoline. I subscribe to three papers and at the end of a week the
total poundage of all those papers is probably 30 or 40 pounds. Heck
the Sunday papers alone add up to about 20 pounds.

Do any of you burn newspapers as a source of heat for your shop or
garage? What kind of stove and chimney are you using and is it worth
it? Any special hazards to watch out for?

T.I.A for any information,
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon" wrote in message
. ..
I use it to heat the toilet seat! LOL, it burns too quickly even if rolled
into a log, makes a great fire starter though

Jon

Did you wrap it into a tight cylinder and bind it with wire? There are, or
used to be, manual rollers for newspapers and magazines that worked that
way. It would roll them and then you put two wire wraps on the roll. I think
that Brookstone used to sell them.

They said the rolls burned almost like wood but I never saw them in
operation.

--
Ed Huntress

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
According to a GOOGLE search the BTU value of one pound of newsprint
paper is around 8,000 BTU's compared to 20,000 BTU's for one pound of
gasoline. I subscribe to three papers and at the end of a week the
total poundage of all those papers is probably 30 or 40 pounds. Heck
the Sunday papers alone add up to about 20 pounds.

Do any of you burn newspapers as a source of heat for your shop or
garage? What kind of stove and chimney are you using and is it worth
it? Any special hazards to watch out for?

T.I.A for any information,
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Jon" wrote in message
. ..
I use it to heat the toilet seat! LOL, it burns too quickly even if
rolled into a log, makes a great fire starter though

Jon

Did you wrap it into a tight cylinder and bind it with wire? There are, or
used to be, manual rollers for newspapers and magazines that worked that
way. It would roll them and then you put two wire wraps on the roll. I
think that Brookstone used to sell them.

They said the rolls burned almost like wood but I never saw them in
operation.

my parents bought one of those. no, they didn't work as advertised on tv. it
was very hard to keep them lit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use newspaper to light the woodstove at work. Lots of ash in newspaper,
and the shiney parts like store ads are nearly useless as they have so much
clay in the paper.
I have seen woodstoves converted to burn waste oil, but you have to have a
steady source.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 1:29 pm, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
I use newspaper to light the woodstove at work. Lots of ash in newspaper,
and the shiney parts like store ads are nearly useless as they have so much
clay in the paper.
Stupendous Man,

I see the same thing. I can light a wad of it, close the door and have
it go out!
Before widespread recycling a thick stack of papers on top of two
logs
with 0.15" of whistling draft feeding in from below would burn quite a
while in
my wood stove but now the voluminous ash chokes the fire.

Newsprint still burns better than office paper, though.

I burned a lot of classified documents when I was in the Army.
We had a perforated oil drum rotated by a crank to tumble bundles of
paper.
Single sheets may burn well but even back then it was really hard to
burn a
thick pile of paper.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

i use pallet cuttings, you can buy them buy the ton at the local
pallet recyler, very sweet price too, i heated my garage 30 x 40 x 15
all winter last year for 285.00 and the time it takes to feed the stove

i am thinking about making an automatic feeder
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 5:23 pm, TwoGuns wrote:

Do any of you burn newspapers as a source of heat for your shop or
garage? What kind of stove and chimney are you using and is it worth
it? Any special hazards to watch out for?

T.I.A for any information,
Dennis

I burn newspapers in the woodstove that is in the family room. Not as
the main fuel, but to avoid having to carry the newspapers to the
recycling center. And maybe saving a bit on how much wood that I
burn. Don't try burning the glossy advertisements. The way I do it
is to lay the newspapers flat in the woodstove and then put the
kindling and wood on top of the newspaper.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've not tried it. However, I suspect it will work better if you have an air
inducer fan. Blowing a gentle stream of fresh air into the firebox, at the
pile of news papers.

A friend of mine used to burn a mix of used oil, and kerosene. He'd run a
tube from a bucket on a shelf, and drip it into the firebox. The oil would
splash onto a deflector, and help to vaporize it. He quit with this setup
when a couple friends of his had fires when the oil fire "got away from
them". Needs some sort of shutoff valve, several feet away from the firebox.

Knew another fellow who burned used crankcase oil with a fuel oil gun. He'd
start it on kerosene, and valve it over to used oil. Had to preheat the oil,
a couple loops of tubing around the barrel that was used as a firebox.

I made some logs out of rolled news paper, one time. Put them end up in a
bucket, adn pour in some used motor oil. I wasn't there to see it, but I'm
told they burned OK.

I have a shop heater consisting of a 55-gallon drum on it's side.
chimney on one end, door and adjustable damper on the other.

In the normal course of shop work anything made of paper, wood or
cardboard goes into small cardboard boxes and gets packed pretty firmly.
The resultant package get used oil added to it. It burns quite well,
even hotter than I like if I get too ambitious with it (big box, lots of
oil). this gets rid of waste paper, newsprint, boxes, and oil. it
burns hot enough that it doesn't smoke.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" sat on a stool by his stove and wrote:

I have a shop heater consisting of a 55-gallon drum on

it's side.
chimney on one end, door and adjustable damper on the

other.

In the normal course of shop work anything made of paper,

wood or
cardboard goes into small cardboard boxes and gets packed

pretty firmly.
The resultant package get used oil added to it. It burns

quite well,
even hotter than I like if I get too ambitious with it

(big box, lots of
oil). this gets rid of waste paper, newsprint, boxes, and

oil. it
burns hot enough that it doesn't smoke.

I do the same thing, Rex! That barrell stove may not be the
most efficient
but sure feels good at -20F....;) In twenty years I've not
had to clean the
chimney, it's always burned out heh heh ........
Phil Kangas

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Phil Kangas wrote:
[...]

Our N Texas winters don't hold a candle to yours, but that stove sure
knocks the chill off. I've been meaning to convert it to a true oil
burner, but I have enough other projects stacked up, and too little shop
time.

GMTA

(Great Minds think Alike)

World Newspapers [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 9th 07 02:33 PM
Shop heat Trent Woodworking 23 August 21st 07 06:04 PM
Shop Heat. Brian In Hampton Woodworking 0 December 24th 05 05:27 AM
Shop heat Charlie Self Woodworking 29 November 8th 05 02:48 AM