Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1.125" Ball Stud

No! Not for body piercings.

I have a pair of power steering cylinders that require a 1 1/8" ball
mount on the valve end. I've only found one...on a travel trailer sway
bar. Every camper supply I've checked has 1 1/4". I didn't note the
brand of the one I found.

Any suggestions on source?

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a pair of power steering cylinders that require a 1 1/8" ball
mount on the valve end. I've only found one...on a travel trailer sway
bar. Every camper supply I've checked has 1 1/4". I didn't note the
brand of the one I found.

Any suggestions on source?

Ditto.. I am currently looking for a pair of 1.0 inch ball studs for a
trailer hitch for a 1957 aluminum one-wheeled trailer.
I spent about 4 hours searching and also checked some towing supply catalogs
with no result.
All I could find was either up to 1/2 inch, or in metric sizes up to 19 MM.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andy Asberry wrote:

No! Not for body piercings.

I have a pair of power steering cylinders that require a 1 1/8" ball
mount on the valve end. I've only found one...on a travel trailer sway
bar. Every camper supply I've checked has 1 1/4". I didn't note the
brand of the one I found.

Any suggestions on source?

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

McMaster lists male rod ends in unmachined so you could turn and thread
for 1 1/8". I suspect you need a female rod end, so perhaps machine the
male one and machine a coupler sleeve. Another option would be to use a
larger size and make an insert sleeve to mate the 1 1/8" to the larger
size.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:47:45 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:

No! Not for body piercings.

I have a pair of power steering cylinders that require a 1 1/8" ball
mount on the valve end. I've only found one...on a travel trailer sway
bar. Every camper supply I've checked has 1 1/4". I didn't note the
brand of the one I found.

Any suggestions on source?

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

McMaster lists male rod ends in unmachined so you could turn and thread
for 1 1/8". I suspect you need a female rod end, so perhaps machine the
male one and machine a coupler sleeve. Another option would be to use a
larger size and make an insert sleeve to mate the 1 1/8" to the larger
size.

I'm glad you're on this Pete. What I'm looking for is just like a
trailer ball except 1.125" ball. Here is what I'm trying to hook up.
http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UI...-5999&catname=

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:

[...]

That's a tough one. McMaster has "bearing quality" chrome steel balls in
1 1/8" size, $11.80 for 5. Drilled and counter bored for high grade SHCS
screws they would probably do the job and be less difficult than trying
to turn your own ball studs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm SOL on the one inch, it appears. I don't have acces to a ball-turning
jig, so i will deplate the 1.25 balls i have and then do it the old
fashioned way, make a series of notches with a cutoff tool and then smooth
it out with files.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
I'm SOL on the one inch, it appears. I don't have acces to a ball-turning
jig, so i will deplate the 1.25 balls i have and then do it the old
fashioned way, make a series of notches with a cutoff tool and then smooth
it out with files.
--
Stupendous Man,

How about this one in ball?

http://www.precisionballs.com/Catalo...05-1Page4b.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:

[...]

Have you had a look at steering ball joints. Fairly simple matter to
press them apart and get the ball out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:

[...]

I spoke with the guy who owns the trailer I measured. He thinks he may
be able to get some at his trailer repair place in Temple. I'll know
this weekend. Thanks for the backup plan.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 13:59:17 -0600, Andy Asberry
wrote:

No! Not for body piercings.

I have a pair of power steering cylinders that require a 1 1/8" ball
mount on the valve end. I've only found one...on a travel trailer sway
bar. Every camper supply I've checked has 1 1/4". I didn't note the
brand of the one I found.

Any suggestions on source?

Yes - Get hold of either Surplus Center or the cylinder mfg. and
find out what vehicle or equipment these cylinders were used on. Then
call up the vehicle maker and find out where they got the balls.

Or you walk into a local good auto and truck parts store like a NAPA
dealer, plop the cylinder on the counter, and ask for the mating ball.
If they don't have them, they should be able to ID and order it.

There are a few good parts countermen out there, they're the ones
that have their own five-level personal catalog rack in the back, and
take the calls from the mechanics when that need to find odd stuff.
(And since I own a lot of odd stuff, I know how to tell them apart.)
Let the young kids handle the easy ones at the front counter.

If all else fails, call a place that makes hitch balls and ask to
order a special. You can't turn down a completed ball if they are
heat treated after machining.

They used to make extra-small hitches and balls like that 1-1/8" in
the 1920's - 40's before they standardized on the 1-7/8" ball for
small trailers. But good luck finding one now.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.precisionballs.com/Catalo...05-1Page4b.htm

It looks good, but i don't think a pair of 1/4 inch allens is safe to pull a
400Lbs + trailer on a public highway. The 1.25 inch balls use a 5/8 thread.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

some of us have hardinge radius turning attachments - turning a ball out of
steel should be easy - but I for one would not want to claim any particular
load capability for it