Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DXF files

In my CAD program you can specify what machine you can apply to a
line(s).

Like a cut, bend etc.

And you can see your work with a 3D view as you go along.

This program will export a DXF file and I was wondering -- is the bend
information in a DXF file as well? (All I see in my viewer is the
complete piece outline with all the holes I need).

I would imagine it has to be right? But typically you wouldn't see the
bend lines in a DXF viewer?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:40:17 -0800 (PST), mkr5000
wrote:

In my CAD program you can specify what machine you can apply to a
line(s).

Like a cut, bend etc.

And you can see your work with a 3D view as you go along.

This program will export a DXF file and I was wondering -- is the bend
information in a DXF file as well? (All I see in my viewer is the
complete piece outline with all the holes I need).

I would imagine it has to be right? But typically you wouldn't see the
bend lines in a DXF viewer?

Perhaps the bend lines are on a layer that's not turned on or
otherwise not visible in the viewer. The DXF is just a (huge) text
file, and the format is public. With a little poking you should be
able to determine whether your CAD program exports the bend lines to
DXF. In Autocad, I'd first look at the properties of the bend lines in
the drawing (for example, which layer they reside on), then open the
DXF in Notepad and search for text matching the layer name, linetype,
etc.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 1, 10:40 am, mkr5000 wrote:
In my CAD program you can specify what machine you can apply to a
line(s).

In my CAD program I can specify which layers are exported to the DXF
file.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok thanks.

I may not see it, but from what I understand the information (has to
be) there in the file.

I tried the layer(s) menu but I'm probably missing something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 05:40:08 -0800 (PST), mkr5000
wrote:

Ok thanks.

I may not see it, but from what I understand the information (has to
be) there in the file.

I tried the layer(s) menu but I'm probably missing something.

In autocad the command to use is "list". This is what acad returned in
the text window in response to a list inquiry on a skewed line I put
on layer SearchFor, linetype - dashed2, color - red.

******************************
Command: list

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

LINE Layer: "SearchFor"
Space: Model space
Color: 1 (red) Linetype: "DASHED2"
Handle = 8b
from point, X= 12.3316 Y= 12.5615 Z= 0.0000
to point, X= 23.5253 Y= 18.3920 Z= 0.0000
Length = 12.6211, Angle in XY Plane = 28
Delta X = 11.1937, Delta Y = 5.8305, Delta Z = 0.0000
************************************

I saved as a dxf and searched the dxf for "searchfor" with Notepad and
found this string buried in the file. You'll see that the linetype and
layer are named explicitly and the endpoints are specified.

LINE
5
8B
330
1F
100
AcDbEntity
8
SearchFor
6
DASHED2
62
1
100
AcDbLine
10
12.33163163438488
20
12.56150988842169
30
0.0
11
23.5253107690713
21
18.3920099971888
31
0.0
0

Here's the entire dxf spec, but you really shouldn't need it if all
you want to do is see whether the lines are exported to dxf.
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/dxf_format.pdf

On the other hand, can't you just save to dxf, then open the dxf with
your CAD program and see if the lines are there?

--
Ned Simmons

Which programmer for NVM files joe Electronics Repair 1 May 4th 07 12:52 AM
Indexing pdf files n cook Electronics Repair 8 June 25th 06 08:49 PM
E-Mailing PDF files. Dani Electronics Repair 7 April 4th 06 12:09 AM
Par Files Krunchy Woodworking 1 March 2nd 05 05:20 PM
Old Files Jake Woodworking 5 January 25th 05 04:26 PM