DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Larry Jaques (vise) (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/222321-larry-jaques-vise.html)

Ignoramus24248 November 24th 07 05:43 AM

Larry Jaques (vise)

I lost my bids on used Wilton vises. Instead, I bought this vise that
you recommended:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

It seems to be heavy duty enough to be usable, and I will not use it
for pipe holding. It was on sale for $44.

Larry Jaques November 24th 07 02:33 PM

Larry Jaques (vise)

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:43:35 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus24248 quickly quoth:

I lost my bids on used Wilton vises. Instead, I bought this vise that
you recommended:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

It seems to be heavy duty enough to be usable, and I will not use it
for pipe holding. It was on sale for $44.

You may rue the day you bought a large, swivel-jaw vise from HF, but
if it locks well in place, without the jaws turning, you're in luck. I
took another look at mine and it's a 6-inch, not 5. The main reason I
bought that specific vise was that it was very large. I could use it
as a press for U-joints and it would take a beating as well. And for
under $25 (1970s dollars), it was a good value. I'm still beating the
hell out of it nearly 40 years later. It was my main bending jig for
years, too. Speaking of which, I need to anchor that HF bender to a
bench some day soon.

G'luck with your 5655.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

Bob Engelhardt November 24th 07 04:54 PM

Larry Jaques (vise)

Larry Jaques wrote:
... Speaking of which, I need to anchor that HF bender to a
bench some day soon.

With that big ole vise you have, just hold the bender in that. A piece
of angle with one leg bolted to the bender & the other leg held in the
vise. Unless you have plenty of bench space to dedicate some of it to
the bender.

Bob

Larry Jaques November 24th 07 07:16 PM

Larry Jaques (vise)

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:54:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob
Engelhardt quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
... Speaking of which, I need to anchor that HF bender to a
bench some day soon.

With that big ole vise you have, just hold the bender in that. A piece
of angle with one leg bolted to the bender & the other leg held in the
vise. Unless you have plenty of bench space to dedicate some of it to
the bender.

I doubt the little holddown bolts (swivel vise) would handle that much
torque.

-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

Harold and Susan Vordos November 24th 07 08:29 PM

Larry Jaques (vise)

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
t...

"Ignoramus24248" wrote in message
I lost my bids on used Wilton vises. Instead, I bought this vise that
you recommended:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

It seems to be heavy duty enough to be usable, and I will not use it
for pipe holding. It was on sale for $44.

When it comes to vices, Larry is KING!

What about brushed vices? :-)

Harold

Larry Jaques November 24th 07 10:38 PM

Larry Jaques (vise)

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:53:38 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Ignoramus24248" wrote in message
m...
I lost my bids on used Wilton vises. Instead, I bought this vise that
you recommended:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

It seems to be heavy duty enough to be usable, and I will not use it
for pipe holding. It was on sale for $44.

When it comes to vices, Larry is KING!

Tendjewberrymud, Tawm. You're not too bad at those yourself,
Brushmonger.

Gerald Miller November 25th 07 02:14 AM

Larry Jaques (vise)

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:38:09 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:53:38 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Ignoramus24248" wrote in message
om...
I lost my bids on used Wilton vises. Instead, I bought this vise that
you recommended:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

It seems to be heavy duty enough to be usable, and I will not use it
for pipe holding. It was on sale for $44.

When it comes to vices, Larry is KING!

Tendjewberrymud, Tawm. You're not too bad at those yourself,
Brushmonger.

It must be snowing out 'cause you guys sleigh me.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada