DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Carbide Insert and Carbide Depot (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/222198-carbide-insert-carbide-depot.html)

[email protected] November 23rd 07 01:04 AM

Carbide Insert and Carbide Depot

I thought someone a few months ago had posted that they were getting a
poor finish turning mild steel with their normal carbide and found an
insert that worked great after talking with Carbide Depot. The person
posted the insert number but now I cannot find the post.

Anyone have any idea what I am talking about and may be able to
possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Steve

Dixon November 23rd 07 06:37 PM

Carbide Insert and Carbide Depot

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Not sure, Steve. HSS will generally give a better finish than carbide.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
I thought someone a few months ago had posted that they were getting a
poor finish turning mild steel with their normal carbide and found an
insert that worked great after talking with Carbide Depot. The person
posted the insert number but now I cannot find the post.

Anyone have any idea what I am talking about and may be able to
possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Steve

Try a cermet, no not ceramic, CERMET. They are as cheap as carbide or
cheaper. Run the mach. fast, and stand back in awe. I've have lathe turned
HRS pieces cut with cermet that looked and felt ground. Mitsubisi NX-55 is
probably best but somewhat pricy.
Dixon