DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Smith & Mills shaper side feed (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/218884-smith-mills-shaper-side-feed.html)

John L. Weatherly[_2_] October 26th 07 02:13 PM

Smith & Mills shaper side feed

I just got my 25" Smith & Mills shaper up and running. Everything works as
it should. That is, except the side feed. I can't hear/feel the feed
shaft turning at all when under power. Left and right direction selection
lever does nothing. Power traverse is not connected electrically. Manual
crank moves the table.

I figure there is something I need to do to engage the feed, but I can't
figure it out. Any ideas? I've had this thing sitting in the garage for
years now & I would really like to get it fully operational.

Thanks!
--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email

John Martin October 26th 07 05:12 PM

Smith & Mills shaper side feed

On Oct 26, 9:13 am, "John L. Weatherly"
wrote:
I just got my 25" Smith & Mills shaper up and running. Everything works as
it should. That is, except the side feed. I can't hear/feel the feed
shaft turning at all when under power. Left and right direction selection
lever does nothing. Power traverse is not connected electrically. Manual
crank moves the table.

I figure there is something I need to do to engage the feed, but I can't
figure it out. Any ideas? I've had this thing sitting in the garage for
years now & I would really like to get it fully operational.

Thanks!
--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email

You may know of it already, but there is a Metal Shapers Yahoo
newsgroup that is pretty active that might give you your answer.

John Martin

John L. Weatherly[_2_] October 30th 07 03:12 PM

John Martin wrote:

You may know of it already, but there is a Metal Shapers Yahoo
newsgroup that is pretty active that might give you your answer.

John Martin

Thanks for the tip. I was able to find someone with the same machine. Ends
up it was a broken shear pin.