DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Since we're talking about oil ............. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/217034-since-were-talking-about-oil.html)

SteveB October 10th 07 05:32 AM

Since we're talking about oil .............

I moved recently. I found enough two cycle oil to last me about twenty
years at the current rate. You know, bottles with dust and sand stuck to
the oily outsides. All varieties.

How long does it last?

Steve

Gunner[_2_] October 10th 07 07:40 AM

Since we're talking about oil .............

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:32:15 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I moved recently. I found enough two cycle oil to last me about twenty
years at the current rate. You know, bottles with dust and sand stuck to
the oily outsides. All varieties.

How long does it last?

Steve

About 20 million years

Gunner

Jeff R. October 10th 07 09:57 AM

wrote:

I moved recently. I found enough two cycle oil to last me about twenty
years at the current rate. You know, bottles with dust and sand stuck to
the oily outsides. All varieties.

How long does it last?

Steve

About 20 million years

Gunner

Geez - I dunno.
Modern motor oil is a little more than just fermented dinosaurs.

Who knows what additives are going to settle or degrade or whatever?
If you've opened the container, then the oil can oxidise - though granted
over pretty long timescales. Volatiles can evaporate if the seal isn't good.

The manufacturers quote 5 years for a sealed container at room temperature,
but that's obviously for commercial reasons.

In my lawnmower? No worries - but I'd filter it first. Hell - who *cares*
if a lawnmower breaks down?

Now if we were talking 4-stroke engine oil - that'd be different.

--
Jeff R.

Jon Elson October 11th 07 05:43 AM

SteveB wrote:
I moved recently. I found enough two cycle oil to last me about twenty
years at the current rate. You know, bottles with dust and sand stuck to
the oily outsides. All varieties.

How long does it last?

Ummm, oil? That stuff they pump out of the ground, that used to
be trees and stuff back when the dinosaurs walked the earth? I
think it is a really stable molecule that is going to be around
a LONG, LONG time. Now, some of the modifiers and additives
might have a little less shelf life, but I wouldn't worry a
great deal about it. It's just going to get burned up, anyway,
after lubricating the engine for a few milliseconds.

Jon