DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3 in 1 oil sucks (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/216966-3-1-oil-sucks.html)

Cydrome Leader October 9th 07 05:00 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

The entire red top came off, not the small cap. This isn't the first time.

Their oil can "looking" plastic containers are utter **** as well. They
leak when you don't want them to, and when you need oil, basically nothing
comes out.

The garbage packaging is why I will no longer but this stuff.

so, who still sells oil in metal cans these days, even it has to be mail
ordered?

T.Alan Kraus October 9th 07 05:32 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

Kroil

[email protected] October 9th 07 06:20 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On Oct 9, 11:00 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

The entire red top came off, not the small cap. This isn't the first time.

Their oil can "looking" plastic containers are utter **** as well. They
leak when you don't want them to, and when you need oil, basically nothing
comes out.

The garbage packaging is why I will no longer but this stuff.

so, who still sells oil in metal cans these days, even it has to be mail
ordered?

For a light oil I use 'genuine' Singer Sewing Machine Oil. I comes in
a metal can and doesn't leave gummy residue. At least the stuff I
bought 15 years ago or so is in this condition.

Go to a sewing store and see what you can find.

Wolfgang

Tom Gardner October 9th 07 08:30 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

The entire red top came off, not the small cap. This isn't the first time.

Their oil can "looking" plastic containers are utter **** as well. They
leak when you don't want them to, and when you need oil, basically nothing
comes out.

The garbage packaging is why I will no longer but this stuff.

so, who still sells oil in metal cans these days, even it has to be mail
ordered?

Gun oil comes in little leak-proof plastic bottles with good dispensing
dropper.

Grant Erwin October 9th 07 08:30 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:00 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

The entire red top came off, not the small cap. This isn't the first time.

Their oil can "looking" plastic containers are utter **** as well. They
leak when you don't want them to, and when you need oil, basically nothing
comes out.

The garbage packaging is why I will no longer but this stuff.

so, who still sells oil in metal cans these days, even it has to be mail
ordered?

For a light oil I use 'genuine' Singer Sewing Machine Oil. I comes in
a metal can and doesn't leave gummy residue. At least the stuff I
bought 15 years ago or so is in this condition.

Go to a sewing store and see what you can find.

For a light oil I use Starrett Tool & Instrument Oil:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INSRHI

GWE

Wes[_2_] October 9th 07 09:17 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Gun oil comes in little leak-proof plastic bottles with good dispensing
dropper.

It comes in bigger bottles too. I have a pint bottle of Break Free CLP
sitting on the desk. I'm not doing a testimonial but I think it works
pretty good.

It isn't all that expensive in that size.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...637&t=11082005

Wes

RichD October 9th 07 09:49 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On Oct 9, 11:00 am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

The entire red top came off, not the small cap. This isn't the first time.

Their oil can "looking" plastic containers are utter **** as well. They
leak when you don't want them to, and when you need oil, basically nothing
comes out.

The garbage packaging is why I will no longer but this stuff.

so, who still sells oil in metal cans these days, even it has to be mail
ordered?

Cydrome,
3 in One plastic containers arn't the only ones that fail.
All the motor oil "bottles" come in plastic these days.
Don't leave these sitting around unused too long.
They most definetly fail as well without any human touch.
Ask me how I know :-(( What a mess.
Saving all my WD-40, thinner, etc METAL gallon cans,
for reuse,
RichD, Atlanta

Wes[_2_] October 9th 07 09:54 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

RichD wrote:

Cydrome,
3 in One plastic containers arn't the only ones that fail.
All the motor oil "bottles" come in plastic these days.
Don't leave these sitting around unused too long.
They most definetly fail as well without any human touch.
Ask me how I know :-(( What a mess.
Saving all my WD-40, thinner, etc METAL gallon cans,
for reuse,
RichD, Atlanta

I still think plastic beats those paper and tin oil cans of the past.

Wes

David Billington October 9th 07 10:21 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

For a light oil I use a good qaulity airline oil like silkolene
currently, contains various additives for rust prevention, anti
oxidants, anti foam etc, can even be used in hydraulic systems.

I sympathise regarding the qaulity of the container, it has annoyed me
for years that grease and some other products seem to come in hard
plastic containers that dropped once split, gaffer tape to the rescue.

Dom[_2_] October 9th 07 11:56 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

I use an aerosol of lanolin oil. (From sheeps wool). Our shop is
near the coast, and any tools left out will start to rust in about 12
hours. I spray it on everything, bedways, cutting tools, measuring
equipment. I use it for antispatter too, as it can be painted straight
over. I find it has a thinner film than most other oils, and it is a
natural product. Its available in bulk cans aswell, but the best
method of applying it is aerosol, or spray.

Cydrome Leader October 10th 07 12:36 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

The entire red top came off, not the small cap. This isn't the first time.

Their oil can "looking" plastic containers are utter **** as well. They
leak when you don't want them to, and when you need oil, basically nothing
comes out.

The garbage packaging is why I will no longer but this stuff.

so, who still sells oil in metal cans these days, even it has to be mail
ordered?

Gun oil comes in little leak-proof plastic bottles with good dispensing
dropper.

Good call.

For whatever reason it never crossed my mind to use gun oil. I haven't
even broken the seals on all the bottles of that stuff I've accumulated
that come with any new gun. I just use teflon-ish oils and greases on
everything.

Ignoramus3694 October 10th 07 12:59 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On 2007-10-09, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

Try to be more careful next time.

Mark Rand October 10th 07 01:05 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:49:51 -0700, RichD wrote:

[...]

Oddly enough, I have been using a (UK) plastic 3 in One oil bottle to dispense
neat cutting oil on the lathe for the last 7 years and it's still going
strong. The oil was crap, but the container seems to survive where a metal one
could be dangerous.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Gerald Miller October 10th 07 03:19 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

wrote:

Cydrome,
3 in One plastic containers arn't the only ones that fail.
All the motor oil "bottles" come in plastic these days.
Don't leave these sitting around unused too long.
They most definetly fail as well without any human touch.
Ask me how I know :-(( What a mess.
Saving all my WD-40, thinner, etc METAL gallon cans,
for reuse,
RichD, Atlanta

I just went down to the shop and looked but I don't see any drips from
the 1 Quart can of 50 wt Sunoco motor oil that has been following me
around since the early 1950's when my brother bought it to mix with
gas for his chain saw (this was before they made special 2 cycle
oils).
On the other hand, three vehicles made after 1985 have had their oil
pans replaced because of rust out. Are modern vehicles with all of the
technical advances made of less durable material than 50+ year old oil
cans?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Martin H. Eastburn October 10th 07 05:15 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

Yea just replaced my Radiator on the truck. Plastic sides to the tank...
Cracked plastic doesn't hold fluid long.

That was a simple $1000 on that job. Soak you for every joint an task.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Don Foreman October 10th 07 05:58 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:36:05 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Our local itinerant sewing machine repairman, whom we regard as a
Singer genius, swears by TriFlo in little 4-oz squeeze bottles with
dropper tips and tubes. I have no idea where he gets it. We buy it
from him. Mary has a coupla Singers that are more than 50 years old,
run like new -- and they sew considerably better than most new
machines. No electronics, no plastic, just (!) precision.

Cydrome Leader October 10th 07 06:03 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

That stuff is weird- but works great, as long as you don't already have
other oil on the parts. The rare times I see it, I buy it- and I stree the
rare part.

Cydrome Leader October 10th 07 06:07 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On 2007-10-09, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

Try to be more careful next time.

Should I use the light touch needed to be unable to smash a hard disk with
an 8 pound sledge?

Under no circumstance should the entire top of a container pop off before
the cap on the nozzle part.

[email protected] October 10th 07 01:26 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

Singer. Plastic bottle that hardens after several years and then
cracks when you drop it. Mines now in a plastic precision oiler.
Karl

Wes[_2_] October 10th 07 03:19 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

Gerald Miller wrote:

I just went down to the shop and looked but I don't see any drips from
the 1 Quart can of 50 wt Sunoco motor oil that has been following me
around since the early 1950's when my brother bought it to mix with
gas for his chain saw (this was before they made special 2 cycle
oils).

I think I have a pour spout if you ever need one.

On the other hand, three vehicles made after 1985 have had their oil
pans replaced because of rust out. Are modern vehicles with all of the
technical advances made of less durable material than 50+ year old oil
cans?

EPA CAFE standards have a lot to do with that one. Is road salt used much
in your area?

Wes

Mark Rand October 11th 07 12:33 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:07:12 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

On 2007-10-09, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

Try to be more careful next time.

Should I use the light touch needed to be unable to smash a hard disk with
an 8 pound sledge?

Under no circumstance should the entire top of a container pop off before
the cap on the nozzle part.

Can be a bit of a bugger when you discover that you've just pulled off the
screw-on cap :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM

Gerald Miller October 11th 07 06:00 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:19:57 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

I just went down to the shop and looked but I don't see any drips from
the 1 Quart can of 50 wt Sunoco motor oil that has been following me
around since the early 1950's when my brother bought it to mix with
gas for his chain saw (this was before they made special 2 cycle
oils).

I think I have a pour spout if you ever need one.

Got a couple myself plus the piercing funnel

On the other hand, three vehicles made after 1985 have had their oil
pans replaced because of rust out. Are modern vehicles with all of the
technical advances made of less durable material than 50+ year old oil
cans?

EPA CAFE standards have a lot to do with that one. Is road salt used much
in your area?

I'm with you on that, but rads and oil pans should outlast body
panels, at least to my way of thinking.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Gerald Miller October 11th 07 06:02 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On 2007-10-09, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I just had another plastic "can" of 3 in 1 oil explode all over the place
when trying to get the ****ty plastic red cap off.

Try to be more careful next time.

Should I use the light touch needed to be unable to smash a hard disk with
an 8 pound sledge?

Under no circumstance should the entire top of a container pop off before
the cap on the nozzle part.

Can be a bit of a bugger when you discover that you've just pulled off the
screw-on cap :-(

Or tried to unscrew the cap from a non threaded beer bottle
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

JohnM October 12th 07 11:50 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

Gerald Miller wrote:

[...]

Automotive radiators are certainly lower quality than in years past, I
really dislike the aluminum and plastic radiators.

Oil pans and valve covers may be made of lighter gauge steel than they
used to be, which would explain some of the rust holes in them, but I
feel it's more because new motors are sealed up much better than they
used to be. I've seen quite a few rusted through oil pans and they were
all very dry and clean, no oil/dust caked on at all.

John

Wild_Bill October 15th 07 07:17 PM

3 in 1 oil sucks

About the only plastic bottle that I've found handy to put oil in, is the
oom Spout bottle with the extension tube in the cap tip.

I've had one of these for a couple of decades, which usually has ordinary
engine/motor oil in it.
I've used one in the past for just dispensing air tool oil.
The threaded portion of the cap can become weak with time, but putting a
metal band around the threaded portion (or even a miniature hose clamp) to
keep the thread diameter from expanding.

I recently found some of these bottles at a Ollie's discount/clearance
store, filled with Pennzoil Pennzbell oil in it (bright yellow bottle, hard
to missplace). This oil seems to be a very good all purpose oil, and I've
been oiling fractional HP electric motor bushing-type bearings with it, with
no problems.

The zoom spouts have proven to be a really useful feature over the years.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Gerald Miller October 19th 07 07:33 AM

3 in 1 oil sucks

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:17:17 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

[...]

My furnace man left one on my porch when he finished a service call.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada