Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Somewhat Trivia, Somewhat Curiosity...

I *think* I know the answer to this so it may be trivia... But if I don't,
or someone proves me wrong, then I'll call it a learning experience.

So... Why don't aluminum cans disintegrate from constant exposure to the
acids and salts in various sodas and drinks they contain?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I *think* I know the answer to this so it may be trivia... But if I don't,
or someone proves me wrong, then I'll call it a learning experience.

So... Why don't aluminum cans disintegrate from constant exposure to the
acids and salts in various sodas and drinks they contain?

The same reason any piece of metal on
a boat will rust or corrode in about
3 days, but a beer can in the water
will last 5 years (:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I *think* I know the answer to this so it may be trivia... But if I don't,
or someone proves me wrong, then I'll call it a learning experience.

So... Why don't aluminum cans disintegrate from constant exposure to the
acids and salts in various sodas and drinks they contain?

There is a thin plastic lining inside the can.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

So... Why don't aluminum cans disintegrate from constant exposure to the
acids and salts in various sodas and drinks they contain?

Coating inside, no dissimilar metals for galvanic corrosion.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I *think* I know the answer to this so it may be trivia... But if I don't,
or someone proves me wrong, then I'll call it a learning experience.

So... Why don't aluminum cans disintegrate from constant exposure to the
acids and salts in various sodas and drinks they contain?

Beer suspends the laws of chemistry and physics...and common sense.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave August wrote:
They are coated on the inside.

But that coating doesn't work forever.

I lost track of a six pack of Pepsi cans hiding at the back of a kitchen
cabinet for a maybe two years.

When I went to pull it out the cardboard carton was stuck to the cabinet
floor and after I peeled it off it was apparent that a couple of the
cans had leaked. They weren't completely empty, but a lot lighter than
the others.

I autopsied one of the cans and the inside looked like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/pepsi_hole.jpg

The hole the arrow is pointing at went right through the aluminum, you
could see a pinpoint of light through it.

I called Pepsi's customer service about this to see if it was maybe an
anomaly and the nice gal I spoke with said that kind of leakage was far
from unheard of and it's one reason why they put expiration dates on
their products.

So, plastic bottles let the CO2 leak through their walls in a few months
and go flat, aluminum cans corrode through like mine did, and you can't
hardly find many kinds of carbonated non-alcoholic beverages in glass
bottles anymore. That's progress???

Jeff
--

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

--.- Dave

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message

I *think* I know the answer to this so it may be trivia... But if I don't,
or someone proves me wrong, then I'll call it a learning experience.

So... Why don't aluminum cans disintegrate from constant exposure to the
acids and salts in various sodas and drinks they contain?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a can of water here, (Really a CAN of Water)

Given to me by my crusty old geezer half owner of our C-182... was part of
his "survival kit" in the bird.

Labled "U.S. Aqua, PURE Drinking water" nice red white and blue 12 Oz can.
Can has a lead side seal !

Some of the writing on it is pricless "IMPERVIOUS TO NUCLEAR FALLOUT",
Was canned in Joe Town (San Jose to those of you who don't know local slang)

If I read the dates stamped in the lid canned in 68, expires in 76....

Bet I could still drink it... (but I'd have to pretty hard up.. maybe a
couple of days in the Mojave)..

--.- Dave

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Dave August wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:52:33 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Dave August wrote:
[...]

Some years ago, while visiting SiL in Florida, I organized her large
stock of diet Coke to try to use up some of the older stock. Believe
me, you don't want to drink one more than three years old even if it
is all there!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So, plastic bottles let the CO2 leak through their walls in a few months
and go flat, aluminum cans corrode through like mine did, and you can't
hardly find many kinds of carbonated non-alcoholic beverages in glass
bottles anymore. That's progress???

Jeff

Ive got Mt. Dew in 2 liter bottles that are over a year old, and are
still as fizzy as the day I bought them.

Course..I didnt put a pressure gage on them for a true scientific
test...

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So, plastic bottles let the CO2 leak through their walls in a few months
and go flat, aluminum cans corrode through like mine did, and you can't
hardly find many kinds of carbonated non-alcoholic beverages in glass
bottles anymore. That's progress???

Jeff

Ive got Mt. Dew in 2 liter bottles that are over a year old, and are
still as fizzy as the day I bought them.

Course..I didnt put a pressure gage on them for a true scientific
test...

Gunner

Some may be better than others I guess.

Google: +permeability +"plastic bottles"

for lots of references to what I was bitching about.

Course there's also the possibility that the lids weren't screwed on
tightly enough when the stuff was bottled, or maybe the "gaskeet
material" wasn't what it should be.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

curiosity about septic and cesspool systems [email protected] Home Repair 8 April 19th 07 11:43 PM
Trivia Junkyard Engineer Woodworking 6 October 3rd 06 03:19 AM
Curiosity question: How to make CV joints. B.B. Metalworking 5 May 25th 06 10:16 PM
EDM cut rifle chamber, curiosity or the future? Clark Magnuson Metalworking 21 November 8th 05 05:00 AM
trivia answer please Dan Valleskey Woodworking 3 November 2nd 04 03:51 AM