Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old lathe $100 in Downers Grove, IL

That old piece of iron (1920-s/1930s lathe from a 93 year old's
estate) is either going to the scrap pile (where it probably belongs),
or you can buy it for $100. There is nothing in this for me. No
commission, not a friend, no nothing. But I thought that it deserves a
shot to be mentioned here. I think that it works, though I did not
even bother to turn it on.

It is approximately 12x36, just a WAG.

I am going to take a pass as I need to seriously downsize and have no
immediate need for a lathe anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 28 Sep 2007 03:40:28 GMT, D Murphy wrote:
Ignoramus2150 wrote in
:

That old piece of iron (1920-s/1930s lathe from a 93 year old's
estate) is either going to the scrap pile (where it probably belongs),
or you can buy it for $100. There is nothing in this for me. No
commission, not a friend, no nothing. But I thought that it deserves a
shot to be mentioned here. I think that it works, though I did not
even bother to turn it on.

It is approximately 12x36, just a WAG.

I am going to take a pass as I need to seriously downsize and have no
immediate need for a lathe anyway.

Ig,

A few questions. Is it bench mounted or does it have a base? Can it
thread? Is it three phase? Any chucks, collets, and/or face plates? Just
how beat is it?

Bench mounted, they will probably be happy if you take the bench,
there are chucks, I would say 500 lbs weight (extremely wild assed
guess), you need some good helpers t get it into a van, NO idea what
is the make -- no nameplate -- 110v motor -- they have to have it out
by Sunday.

I would appreciate a wild guess on weight and a little info about how
hard it would be to get the thing out of the shed and into a van.

Any idea on the make? When do they have to have it out of there?

I should stop here before I do something stupid like driving down there
to look at it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just to be clear, some of my free opinions (worth what you pay):

- if you need a cheap lathe, it is a good deal for $100

- If you clean it up and start using it, you can probably take nice
pix and brag about your $100 deal here for a good reason (but mention
that I found it)

- I would prefer to buy a much higher end, more modern lathe when I
need one, but not now

- It is usable for low end work and is a good quality, very old home
machine

- It can probably be resold for more $$, but the hassle factor make
resale not worth it

- You can donate it to Lisle blacksmith club by the train station and
probably get a tax deduction.

- I am rather inclined to do just that, it would definitely fit their
place and IIRC, they do not have a lathe.

- If you do not buy it, let me know ASAP and I will try to locate
someone from the blacksmith club to see about donating.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2150 wrote in
:

- If you do not buy it, let me know ASAP and I will try to locate
someone from the blacksmith club to see about donating.

I'm going to pass. It's just not enough time.

I've got a fairly new Nardini 14x40 at my disposal, just not at home. One
of these days I'd like to find a turn of the century vintage lathe to
restore.

--

Dan

CNC Videos - http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

D Murphy wrote:

One of these days I'd like to find a turn of the century vintage lathe to
restore.

This old girl was made back in '99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Okuma-LC-50-2ST-BIG-BORE-750-4-Axis-CNC-Lathe-1999_W0QQitemZ150143037349QQihZ005QQcategoryZ97230 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

--Winston GD&R

Old lathe (think 1930s or 20s) available in Downers Grove, IL Ignoramus9581 Metalworking 1 September 24th 07 01:37 AM
Screwfix Grove bathroom Jon Telfer UK diy 2 February 11th 07 10:46 PM
v-tongue and grove router bit Vic Woodworking 1 September 18th 06 08:42 PM
tongue and grove M a J Woodworking 11 November 26th 05 12:41 AM
tongue and grove Cyrille de Brébisson Woodworking 18 September 27th 05 09:42 PM