Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln SP series mig welders versus a retail version?

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:24:45 -0700, Brent
wrote:

On Sep 27, 11:53 am, steamer wrote:
--Get the bigger one and beef up your circuit breakers. Had a great
Mig class at the Crucible and got to use *8* different models of Lincoln
machines. The little ones can't do crap. Larger ones niiiice.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Feeling like Bender in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a strong magnetic field...

I'm looking at the 175 and I'm anything but worried about the breakers
I have 240V all over the house and the shop will have 240 100A
available

My big concern is that the 175A welder i'm looking at is actually on
the wimpy side in construction compared to the SP-175. I detest buying
tools twice and i want to do my best possible to make sure i'm not
buying a toy welder with the Lincoln name on the side of it. I buy
tools to last when they are treated right and i expect the portable
MIG welder to be no different. If it is a toy i will pass up the
deal, Scratch it from the list and wait fro a better deal that meets
my requirements.

Or i'll hop the border and buy a welder in Ny State if the prices are
bonkers between Canada and the US

Take a look at the Hobart Handler while you're at it. I've not used
one but there seems to be a large body of happy owners among
restoration and motorcycle guys.