Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default can someone explain to me about tapered gauge pins?

I ran across an ebay auction, number 260117683327, now closed, for things
called:
Ralmikes Tapered Gage Pins .014-.252
these things seem to be an alternative to a set of plug (or pin) gauges,
from what I can figure out - but I looked around on the Meyers site and did
some modest browsing and didn't find any literature explaiing when they were
suitable and when you really needed the plug gauges. Certainly these are
less weight/space because you need fewer - but what is the downside other
than you can't press them all the way through a hole to measure the center
of the hole.

any of you guys who know sutff care to comment?

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
I ran across an ebay auction, number 260117683327, now closed, for things
called:
Ralmikes Tapered Gage Pins .014-.252
these things seem to be an alternative to a set of plug (or pin) gauges,
from what I can figure out - but I looked around on the Meyers site and
did some modest browsing and didn't find any literature explaiing when
they were suitable and when you really needed the plug gauges. Certainly
these are less weight/space because you need fewer - but what is the
downside other than you can't press them all the way through a hole to
measure the center of the hole.

any of you guys who know sutff care to comment?

While such a gauge would be good for a quick check of a hole diameter, it
isn't a great way to determine the true diameter due to it's inability to
gauge anything but the entrance to the hole, which often is oversized.
You are also limited by holes that are blind----depending on the depth.
They are in no way a replacement for sets of pins, some of which come in
tenth increments (Deltronic pins, for example), and can be relied upon to
determine true diameter. I'd suggest they would be great for rapid
inspection of given holes, with a reasonable tolerance.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:

Ralmikes Tapered Gage Pins .014-.252

Adding to what Harold said:
Hard to get a good reading when the bore is camfered. Mostly useful when
checking the diameter of jets.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 26, 6:26 am, "William Noble" wrote:
I ran across an ebay auction, number 260117683327, now closed, for things
called:
Ralmikes Tapered Gage Pins .014-.252

any of you guys who know sutff care to comment?

I have some tapered pins that I use to check hole sizes. Instead of
using some sort of internal measuring tool, I just slip the tapered
pin in the hole and use dial calipers to measure the diameter right
next to the hole. I do this mostly on holes I am boring on the lathe
so am not worried about the hole being camfered. And usually I am
boring the hole to fit some shaft. So maybe the dial calipers aren't
super accurate as far as absolute accuracy, but they are very good for
comparing two outside measurements. Certainly close enough to make
the hole a press fit or a sliding fit if that is what is needed.

The pins I have were not made for this purpose. They are some scrap
from some tapered centerless ground mandrels.

Dan