DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/215644-tig-welder-1-4-thick-aluminum-plate.html)

[email protected] September 26th 07 03:38 AM

Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

Hi,

I've got a mig welder set up primarily for steel (w CO2/Argon tank),
but I've wanted a Tig welder for sometime. Ideally this Tig welder
could handle up to 1/4 aluminum plate, although less could be okay.
Any recommendations? Duty cycle does not need to be high(just a home
shop), but needs to run on 220v single phase power.

Thanks
Chris

Karl Townsend September 26th 07 04:03 AM

Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

Can't tell you which machine is best, but be aware that 1/4" AL will take
some serious electric circuit. I ran 50 amp 220 to mine and this is not
large enough. I'll be moving my Lincoln stick/TIG machine to a 100 amp
circuit.

Karl

[email protected] September 26th 07 04:09 AM

Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

On Sep 25, 9:03 pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
Can't tell you which machine is best, but be aware that 1/4" AL will take
some serious electric circuit. I ran 50 amp 220 to mine and this is not
large enough. I'll be moving my Lincoln stick/TIG machine to a 100 amp
circuit.

Karl

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I have a 50 amp service as well.

Ernie Leimkuhler September 26th 07 05:16 AM

Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi,

I've got a mig welder set up primarily for steel (w CO2/Argon tank),
but I've wanted a Tig welder for sometime. Ideally this Tig welder
could handle up to 1/4 aluminum plate, although less could be okay.
Any recommendations? Duty cycle does not need to be high(just a home
shop), but needs to run on 220v single phase power.

Thanks
Chris

To weld 1/4" aluminum with TIG requires at least a 250 amp machine, but
300 is more like it.
A Miller Syncrowave 250 maxes out at 310 amps, and I can tell you from
experience on mine that it will do 1/4" aluminum, but it does need a 80
amp circuit of 220 volt single phase to do that.

If you went to an inverter, like a Miller Dynasty 300DX then you could
run it from a 50 amp circuit, but the machine would cost you around
$4500.

It would be much simpler to run a spoolgun off of your MIG and simply
wire feed your aluminum.

Check out

http://www.readywelder.com

I have had their model 10250 version for 6 years and love it a lot.

Proctologically Violated©® September 26th 07 05:34 AM

Tig Welder for 1/4" thick Aluminum plate?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I've got a mig welder set up primarily for steel (w CO2/Argon tank),
but I've wanted a Tig welder for sometime. Ideally this Tig welder
could handle up to 1/4 aluminum plate, although less could be okay.
Any recommendations? Duty cycle does not need to be high(just a home
shop), but needs to run on 220v single phase power.

If you don't mind busting yer ass (pre-heating, tig'ing on bricks, tig both
sides, etc), a Miller Econotig can eke out 1/4", but you really have to bust
yer ass.
Fillets would be out of the question!
Does stick AC/DC, tig. Not true high freq, but a decent facsimile.
Groans on 3/16, OK on 1/8.
Overall nice machine. $1300 ten years ago. 50 A OK.
Post on SEJW.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Thanks
Chris

Jon Elson September 27th 07 06:19 AM

wrote:

Can't tell you which machine is best, but be aware that 1/4" AL will take
some serious electric circuit. I ran 50 amp 220 to mine and this is not
large enough. I'll be moving my Lincoln stick/TIG machine to a 100 amp
circuit.

Karl

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I have a 50 amp service as well.

Oh, you're sunk! I have a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300, and it
can just barely weld 1/4 Al, acording to the manual - I've never
tried anything that big (yet). You will probably need Helium
gas to get higher heat, too. And, a 70 A minimum feed for just
the welder, and 90-100 preferable.

Jon