Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default $100 for a old 1/2 HP punch press

Ignoramus9581 wrote:

I am talking about an OBI style punch press, if I am not mistaken,
with a BIG flywheel. It is powered with a 1/2 HP single phase motor. I
would say it weighs 200-300 pounds. This is from a big pile of really
old iron (not yet quite ready for a museum, but almost) from an estate
of a deceased 90 yr old guy. I offered them $100 for it, after two
weeks no one is biting (they wanted to sell the whole shed of that
stuff for 2k, which was crazy). So they are now agreeing to sell to me.

My question is, is $100 a reasonable price. The punch works.

Heck, we couldn't give a 60T one away so we broke it down to base castings
and then got the scrap man to come get it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ayup. Lots of old punch operators called Lefty...

Along with old maintenenance men called stubby. We had three guys in the
maintenance shop where I used to work missing fingers.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3778 wrote:

So, a good start would be a safety conversion from pedal to two switch
operation, right?

A good start is to *NEVER* put your hands in the point of operation while it
is running. Use tongs or whatever. Make sure when you are not running it
or setting it up that the power is locked out. Turned off only is not good
enough, you have a child that might get inquisitive.

I'm not trying to scare you off this thing but I would like you to keep
writing perl stuff with all your fingers.

Oh, read part 24 osha regs. Here is a link to document on Michigan's osha
website since it was easier to navigate than osha.gov

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CI...24_34781_7.pdf

Wes