Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lifting the rear of a pickup truck to level it out/Van Spare carrier

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

Ive asked a few folks, and they have given me a multitude of answers,
from very expensive airbags to simple shackles.

All I want to do is make the damned thing sit level. Im sure drivers
ahead of me will be much happier without my headlights pointing into
their rear windows as well.

My load is pretty much constant. The van is getting the heavy stuff
(Installed a full 4 unit Adrian Steel rack set last week., new $200)

So what do I need to lift this about 3"?

Cheaply.

Im not looking for a heavy duty rockclimbing off-road beat and bounce
suspension package..

Im assuming that the first thing I do is put a helper spring? in each
leaf bundle?

In the good old days..I simply made up a set of shackles from 3/8 flat
stock and bolted em to the back of the leaf springs, but a mechanic
told me "it would be hard on the rear differential due to increased
thrust angle on the doofunny whichadiddly and would cause extreme wear
on the labia valves and shuztmeister bearings"

Blink blink.....

I know this isnt rocket science...just not something Ive had to do
since 1974 when I wanted to put big rear tires on a Dodge Duster.

Also..anyone know the best sort of spare tire carrier to put on a 1
ton Ford van? It currently has one of those doofus carriers that is
mounted to the hinge and latch side of the rear door. The door that
gets opened and closed a lot....

The BIG tires on this thing...are heavy. Heavier than Im comfortable
carrying on that flimsey door hanger. Which is already bent from
carrying a spare.

The van has dual gas tanks...so there may not be a lot of room
underneith..Ive not checked yet. With all the racks and shelves
inside..there is no room onboard for the spare.
Fiberglass roof extension makes roof mounting out..plus those tires
are Heavy.....8 lug nuts each...ack!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My best customer commented on it
Friday..made an unfavorable comparison between an illegal immigrant
brick layer going down the highway with a load of bricks......

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Just keep the input shaft to the drive shaft and the input shaft to the
rear end parallel to one another. If you don't you will learn the
difference between a U joint and a CV (constant velocity) joint. When
the joint has to move or flex for an angled shaft the velocity increases
and decreases as it rotates. If the shaft at the other end is parallel
to the input shaft, the other U joint accelerates and decelerates
inversely to the first one and you get constant velocity at the input to
the rear end. If not.... well you can figure it out.

I knew a guy who went through three rear ends on a jacked up truck
because he had the rear end shaft angled up straight into the driveshaft
and slanted down coming out of the transmission.

John

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Go to a good leaf spring supplier and get a new set of springs or see
what they recommend. You may even have a cracked leaf or two. If you
are going to tow anything you will need a heavier springs or you may get
the feds after you for shining your headlights at aircraft.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

See if you can find a spring shop in your vicinity and have the springs
re-arched. That should bring it up a bit. Leaf springs, as I'm sure
you know, tend to sag a bit with use and a good shop can bring them back
to almost good as new. Did that with my Pinto race car and what a
difference it made in handling. Also, weigh out the load you are
carrying, it may be heavier than you think. Spring boosters, also known
as load levellers are available at most auto parts stores. Good luck.

Jim Chandler
Apple Valley, cA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:46:05 -0400, john
wrote:

[...]

Could you clarify that a bit for the less informed?

This truck has two drive lines, with a carrier baaring midway.
If I raise the truck..I have to turn the axle a bit?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:52:31 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My best customer commented on it
Friday..made an unfavorable comparison between an illegal immigrant
brick layer going down the highway with a load of bricks......

Gunner

See if you can find a spring shop in your vicinity and have the springs
re-arched. That should bring it up a bit. Leaf springs, as I'm sure
you know, tend to sag a bit with use and a good shop can bring them back
to almost good as new. Did that with my Pinto race car and what a
difference it made in handling. Also, weigh out the load you are
carrying, it may be heavier than you think. Spring boosters, also known
as load levellers are available at most auto parts stores. Good luck.

Jim Chandler
Apple Valley, cA

Thanks Jim.

To the best of my knowlege.this truck has spent the last 100,000 miles
with nothing heavier in it than a cross bed pickup bed tool box behind
the cab. I originally thought the miss matched tires were the
culprit..but now that Ive a matching set all the way around..it still
sits ass down, even empty.

Gunner
who has already put 8,000 miles on her.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:04:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

Ive asked a few folks, and they have given me a multitude of answers,
from very expensive airbags to simple shackles.

All I want to do is make the damned thing sit level. Im sure drivers
ahead of me will be much happier without my headlights pointing into
their rear windows as well.

My load is pretty much constant. The van is getting the heavy stuff
(Installed a full 4 unit Adrian Steel rack set last week., new $200)

In that case, now that you're loaded, have the frackin' headlights
adjusted. Borrow the adjusters from a friend in a body shop and do it
yourself in ten minutes.

So what do I need to lift this about 3"?

Cheaply.

Air shocks ($61 J.C. Whitney), bolt-on overload leafs ($54 JCW), or
shackles (free DIY).

Im not looking for a heavy duty rockclimbing off-road beat and bounce
suspension package..

Im assuming that the first thing I do is put a helper spring? in each
leaf bundle?

In the good old days..I simply made up a set of shackles from 3/8 flat
stock and bolted em to the back of the leaf springs, but a mechanic
told me "it would be hard on the rear differential due to increased
thrust angle on the doofunny whichadiddly and would cause extreme wear
on the labia valves and shuztmeister bearings"

Simple. Lick the labia valves to keep them moist.

Blink blink.....

If you're going back up to standard height after adding weight, the
differential angle should not have changed. Besides, all that a couple
degrees of out-of-alignment does is wear out u-joints a bit more
quickly.

I know this isnt rocket science...just not something Ive had to do
since 1974 when I wanted to put big rear tires on a Dodge Duster.

Also..anyone know the best sort of spare tire carrier to put on a 1
ton Ford van? It currently has one of those doofus carriers that is
mounted to the hinge and latch side of the rear door. The door that
gets opened and closed a lot....

The type which uses both sides of the hinges, a full gate style, is
the best I've seen. A friend (bodyman/coworker) with a 4WD van who
made trips to Baja Mexico all the time used to have one and he said it
was the best type for the heavy vibration of offroad use.

The BIG tires on this thing...are heavy. Heavier than Im comfortable
carrying on that flimsey door hanger. Which is already bent from
carrying a spare.

The van has dual gas tanks...so there may not be a lot of room
underneith..Ive not checked yet. With all the racks and shelves
inside..there is no room onboard for the spare.
Fiberglass roof extension makes roof mounting out..plus those tires
are Heavy.....8 lug nuts each...ack!!

Swap to a standard sized van tire/rim for the spare. Drop off the bad
tire at a tire place and go back to work. Replace it when you pick up
the replaced/repaired tire.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My best customer commented on it
Friday..made an unfavorable comparison between an illegal immigrant
brick layer going down the highway with a load of bricks......

He accused you of having a hod on? Imagine! titter

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Can't help you on lifting the rear, though I expect a truck spring and
brake place could fix you un in an hour or two. For the spare tire, fab
a front bumper mount for it. Counter the weight in the rear with some
weight in the front, and it will be easier to chase when the mount
breaks evil grin TIG it good.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:04:37 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

snip
Any suggestions would be appreciated. My best customer commented on it
Friday..made an unfavorable comparison between an illegal immigrant
brick layer going down the highway with a load of bricks......

Gunner

========
click on
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...009232/c-10614
set down and click on...
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...0A2181217.aspx
http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchRe...&pt=179&fv=584
http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchRe...&pt=189&fv=584
http://www.f150online.com/forums/arc...p/t-44040.html

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Consider overload springs - cheap, effective, easy to install

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

I had a broken leaf on my box truck, and had the springs re-arched and a
leaf added. Also had to have the eye bushings pressed in. It was kind of
expensive, even with me taking them off the truck and bringing it to the
shop. For a Ranger I would check Rockauto.com and see what it would cost to
buy new.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have used helper springs.
I have used air adjustable shocks.
I have used air bags trapped in a spring.

The very best ever was to take a heavy truck that swayed all over
the road to the local spring specialists. Asked them to beef it
up. They put on the maximum leaf springs for that axle (I think I
remember 15). Sweet running and driving and seemed to be a
smoother ride. That truck had a very long driveshaft, so I
imagine we didn't change the axle angle too much. Just made some
of your shackles for the drag racer at work, he needed a bit more
clearance on the Mickey Thompsons. He was very concerned about
drive shaft angle, although he said slightly high or slightly low
was OK as long as it wasn't straight in when the axle was loaded
up???

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

snip

Why would any angles be bad if the truck was level again? Your springs are
sagged...probably as much as your old but. The good news is that you can
new springs, even heavier springs for the truck. Your but will continue to
sag, you can't get parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

Oh, I forgot you said "cheap". Just jack up the rear of the truck
until you feel that it looks level. Now cut the bells off and weld the
shock rods to the shock body. DONE!

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
our every deficiency in foresight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:40:26 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Say.....thats Really a good idea. Front mount.

Crom knows Ive got more than enough frontage space up there and it
would be easy to get to the frame for someting to mount to.

What about retricted flow to the radiator?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

That being the case, you definitely have some spring issues. Go to a
spring shop. A new set shouldn't be that much. As was suggested by
another poster, you may have a cracked leak or two. That's always a
surprise to take a set of leafs apart and have one fall away in two
pieces. Many times you can't see it from the outside of the set.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:12:39 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Could you clarify that a bit for the less informed?

This truck has two drive lines, with a carrier baaring midway.
If I raise the truck..I have to turn the axle a bit?

Gunner

You are a machinist. Make a tapered block to fit between the axle and
the spring (axle IS mounted unde the spring, right?) and another
spacer to drop the hangar bearing half the distance.
You are then spreading the change in angle over 3 joints instead of 2.
Four inches should be no problem at all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:51:41 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

I have used helper springs.
I have used air adjustable shocks.
I have used air bags trapped in a spring.

The very best ever was to take a heavy truck that swayed all over
the road to the local spring specialists. Asked them to beef it
up. They put on the maximum leaf springs for that axle (I think I
remember 15). Sweet running and driving and seemed to be a
smoother ride. That truck had a very long driveshaft, so I
imagine we didn't change the axle angle too much. Just made some
of your shackles for the drag racer at work, he needed a bit more
clearance on the Mickey Thompsons. He was very concerned about
drive shaft angle, although he said slightly high or slightly low
was OK as long as it wasn't straight in when the axle was loaded
up???

Rear shackles will tend to tip the nose up a bit, which will reduce
the angle change a bit.
NOT recommended on a truck though. I'd either have the springs rebult
(beefed up) or install a set of lift blocks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:13:56 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Say.....thats Really a good idea. Front mount.

Crom knows Ive got more than enough frontage space up there and it
would be easy to get to the frame for someting to mount to.

What about retricted flow to the radiator?

Gunner

You are in "hot country" - it could be a problem. Was not a smart
thing to do in Central Africa in the seventies. Guaranteed overheat.
Out there many were mounted on the hood (bonnet) (Land Rovers) or
lashed to the roof of the cab. (Put a swing arm on a pedestal mounted
behing the cab with a winch and cable - lift the arm up from behind
the tire when needed and winch it up/down. Good project for Gunner.) -
Oh - he DID say it was on the VAN, didn't he? Would work better on the
Pick-up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Why would any angles be bad if the truck was level again? Your springs are
sagged...probably as much as your old but. The good news is that you can
new springs, even heavier springs for the truck. Your but will continue to
sag, you can't get parts.

It is BUTT, not BUT, and they are ALL cracked.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Say.....thats Really a good idea. Front mount.

Crom knows Ive got more than enough frontage space up there and it
would be easy to get to the frame for someting to mount to.

What about retricted flow to the radiator?

Gunner

You are in "hot country" - it could be a problem. Was not a smart
thing to do in Central Africa in the seventies. Guaranteed overheat.
Out there many were mounted on the hood (bonnet) (Land Rovers) or
lashed to the roof of the cab. (Put a swing arm on a pedestal mounted
behing the cab with a winch and cable - lift the arm up from behind
the tire when needed and winch it up/down. Good project for Gunner.) -
Oh - he DID say it was on the VAN, didn't he? Would work better on the
Pick-up.

I would think if you leave a reasonable amount of space between the
carrier and the radiator grille, and don't put a cover on the tire that
you'd get plenty of airflow around and through the wheel. Fab a new
grille with better flow while you're at it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:13:56 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

Can't help you on lifting the rear, though I expect a truck spring and
brake place could fix you un in an hour or two. For the spare tire, fab
a front bumper mount for it. Counter the weight in the rear with some
weight in the front, and it will be easier to chase when the mount
breaks evil grin TIG it good.

Har!

Say.....thats Really a good idea. Front mount.

Crom knows Ive got more than enough frontage space up there and it
would be easy to get to the frame for someting to mount to.

What about retricted flow to the radiator?

Potentially a BIG problem. How holey are the rims? Does the van have
the heavy duty radiator package? If so, you might be OK. But that's a
helluva big risk to take IMNSHO.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
our every deficiency in foresight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:

Why would any angles be bad if the truck was level again? Your springs
are
sagged...probably as much as your old but. The good news is that you can
new springs, even heavier springs for the truck. Your but will continue
sag, you can't get parts.

It is BUTT, not BUT, and they are ALL cracked.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I MUST be right, it passed my spell-chucker!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

Before my 91 extended cab was dead, I had to replace the front springs since
they couldn't align it anymore and have a spring shop add a leave. The
truck probably only carried real loads 10 times in it's life.

As others suggested, take it to a spring shop and be done with it.

Adding a leaf is reasonably cheap.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/
and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.

snip
===========
Not to hijack your thread, given the number of responses from
people "what been there and done that," and the huge number of
web sites with air lifts / helper springs, etc., this appears to
be a basic design flaw rather than something unique to your
truck.

Even trucks used as cars, i.e. no loads, just people, seem to
have this spring problem. It can't be that expensive to put a
few more pounds of good steel in the springs. Has Detroit lost
the ability to design even utility vehicles? Did the
beancounters run amok again? Did they throw the prints for the
1950s and 60s away?

Anybody have similar problems with the import trucks such as
Toyota?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

and my tools, it sags like an Okie dustbowl refugee on his way to
California.
So what do I need to lift this about 3"? Cheaply.

Check the rear springs for broken leaves or excessive sag fatigue,
replace as needed. If that isn't enough add either an overload spring
set or Air Springs.

Air shocks are bad juju - the shock mounts won't take the load.

In the good old days..I simply made up a set of shackles from 3/8 flat
stock and bolted em to the back of the leaf springs, but a mechanic
told me "it would be hard on the rear differential due to increased
thrust angle on the doofunny whichadiddly and would cause extreme wear
on the labia valves and shuztmeister bearings"

Blink blink.....

You have to keep the U-joint operating angle between the driveshaft
and the rear axle input shaft roughly the same after raising or
lowering. They sell little wedge shims in various degrees of tilt
(that go between the axle and the spring stack) for just that purpose.

And watch the overall length of the driveshaft and the overlap in
the slip splines when you move things around - more likely with a Lift
Kit but still something to watch. If you shorten the shaft to where
the splines bottom out you put nasty stresses in the driveline.

And if you pull it apart too far the driveshaft might look fine now,
but falls off the first time you hit a "DIP" too fast and catch air.
If the driveshaft comes loose at the front, drops onto the ground, and
hangs on something solid like a curb cut, this can get Real Exciting -
It'll look like something from American Graffiti (or Mythbusters) with
a logging chain and a stout power pole...

This is why race cars have a safety hoop around the front end of the
driveshaft. Even if it comes off, it can't go too far.

Also..anyone know the best sort of spare tire carrier to put on a 1
ton Ford van? It currently has one of those doofus carriers that is
mounted to the hinge and latch side of the rear door. The door that
gets opened and closed a lot....

The BIG tires on this thing...are heavy. Heavier than Im comfortable
carrying on that flimsey door hanger. Which is already bent from
carrying a spare.

The van has dual gas tanks...so there may not be a lot of room
underneith..Ive not checked yet. With all the racks and shelves
inside..there is no room onboard for the spare.
Fiberglass roof extension makes roof mounting out..plus those tires
are Heavy.....8 lug nuts each...ack!!

But you've still got to have one...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My best customer commented on it
Friday..made an unfavorable comparison between an illegal immigrant
brick layer going down the highway with a load of bricks......

Do it on either end of the van, but put on a custom Class III/V
receiver hitch with the 'Side Tubes' like you were going to mount a
motorcycle rail carrier. (And install 'Slop Bolt' weld nuts on each
tube & hex bolts with the tips ground to a wadcutter bullet point to
clamp in whatever you've slid in.)

Then use one of the 'end' receiver tubes for the spare tire mount.
On the back you could rig it on the left (the side you open less
often) with a simple hinge swing-away arm so the door clears, but you
aren't putting all that weight on the door hinges.'

If you want to put the spare on the front, the only requirement is
that the tire and bracket comes off easily when you need to work on
the engine.

Cooling shouldn't be a huge problem if you leave a gap between
grille and tire - But some simple Plexiglas air dams on the sides of
the grille opening could more than fix that. Make any air that comes
through go into the grille rather than bleed off to the edges.

And the other side's 'side tube' receivers can also be used for pipe
carrier arms on the right side, or really tall ones to rig the pipes
over the roof...

The front receiver side tubes can easily be adapted for tow bar
points. But then you need something even bigger to tow it with...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just keep the input shaft to the drive shaft and the input shaft to the
rear end parallel to one another. If you don't

Could you clarify that a bit for the less informed?

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:36:51 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty. Now that Ive added a utility shell
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

Before my 91 extended cab was dead, I had to replace the front springs since
they couldn't align it anymore and have a spring shop add a leave. The
truck probably only carried real loads 10 times in it's life.

As others suggested, take it to a spring shop and be done with it.

Adding a leaf is reasonably cheap.

Wes

I believe thats what Im gonna do.

And take the Van to a front end shop. The "wander" is scary as hell.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't know about trucks. My best car, a Pontiac Bonneville GXP, has an
automatic load lever. A few
seconds after each start-up you can hear the air pump run to "trim" the
level. The car came with an
accessory air package that connects to the compressor pump via a shrade
valve in the trunk..

My diesel Mercedes wagon has a hydraulic levelling system. The car is rated
for a 1000 Lbs load, a true half-ton.

--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:12:12 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

Don't know about trucks. My best car, a Pontiac Bonneville GXP, has an
automatic load lever. A few
seconds after each start-up you can hear the air pump run to "trim" the
level. The car came with an
accessory air package that connects to the compressor pump via a shrade
valve in the trunk..

My diesel Mercedes wagon has a hydraulic levelling system. The car is rated
for a 1000 Lbs load, a true half-ton.

IIRC the early Lumina APV had pneumatic leveling as an option. They
had an air hookup just inside the tailgate on the left side for
inflating beach balls etc.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I've had to SOFTEN the springs on several Toyotas to keep the owners
happy - - - .

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:20:00 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Gerore sez:
Anybody have similar problems with the import trucks such as
Toyota?

Don't know about trucks. My best car, a Pontiac Bonneville GXP, has an automatic load lever. A few
seconds after each start-up you can hear the air pump run to "trim" the level. The car came with an
accessory air package that connects to the compressor pump via a shrade valve in the trunk..

Bob Swinney

Both my 1988 NewYorker and my 1994 TransSport had those "Air ride"
self levelers. Both had failed before I got the vehicles. The Chrysler
one had been replaced and failed again soon after. The failure mode
this time had the car almost standing on the front bumper when the
compressor would not shut off and the release v alve would not
release.
I replaced the soft springs on both vehicles with "load handlers".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Why would any angles be bad if the truck was level again? Your springs
are
sagged...probably as much as your old but. The good news is that you can
new springs, even heavier springs for the truck. Your but will continue
sag, you can't get parts.

It is BUTT, not BUT, and they are ALL cracked.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I MUST be right, it passed my spell-chucker!

If it really worked, it would have chucked 'Hawkie' and all his
buddies a long time ago!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

And take the Van to a front end shop. The "wander" is scary as hell.

Should get better with the beefier rear springs and resulting new
attitude. If not you might consider a beefier sway bar since you're
running fully loaded most of the time. (after you've confirmed all the
steering parts are good)

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I've turned over a new leaf! No more troll banter. If I slip, remind me.

OK. But if you backslide, I'm going to smack you up the side of your
head with one of their dirty sock puppets! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:45:25 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

I've turned over a new leaf! No more troll banter. If I slip, remind me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You and Gunner both promise but never hold to it.
sigh Best of luck sticking with your resolution, though, Tawm.

--
Honor unto death, or at least unto discomfort.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My new to me 2001 Supercab Ford Ranger has always sat a bit low in the
rear even when empty.

The wife's extended cab broke a leaf at some point, she had a spring
shop fix it, somewhere between 100 and 200.

My regular cab was sitting low, found out I had at least one broken
leaf on each side, got a pair of spring packs from the junkyard for
50. Kept the old top leaf from the original packs, cut the eyes off
the new top leafs to use as overloads, no complaints after over a
year...

--Glenn Lyford