Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sizing a fuse for 1/3 hp motor

I want to add a fuse for overloading protection to the motor I use on the
Gingery lathe . The motor came from a very old washing machine. It is
Delco brand .The nameplate has this info:

HP=1/3
V=115
AMP=6.1
C.RISE=50
TYPE=CONT
PH=1
RPM=1725
TYPE=CS
CODE=J

Googling around yields tons of info on 3-phase motors but little of
practical use on single-phase.

Thanks in advance

Camilo Ramos

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks as if you want to try to fuse it for
6 amps (might blow under heavy load)
6.5 amps - should work well
7 amps - should still be okay

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Camilo Ramos" wrote in message
.. .
I want to add a fuse for overloading protection to the motor I
use on the
Gingery lathe . The motor came from a very old washing machine.
It is
Delco brand .The nameplate has this info:

HP=1/3
V=115
AMP=6.1
C.RISE=50
TYPE=CONT
PH=1
RPM=1725
TYPE=CS
CODE=J

Googling around yields tons of info on 3-phase motors but little
of
practical use on single-phase.

Thanks in advance

Camilo Ramos

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:42:44 -0500, "Camilo Ramos"
wrote:

I want to add a fuse for overloading protection to the motor I use on the
Gingery lathe . The motor came from a very old washing machine. It is
Delco brand .The nameplate has this info:

HP=1/3
V=115
AMP=6.1
C.RISE=50
TYPE=CONT
PH=1
RPM=1725
TYPE=CS
CODE=J

Googling around yields tons of info on 3-phase motors but little of
practical use on single-phase.

Thanks in advance

Camilo Ramos

It would be best for you to use what is called a "Dual Element" fuse,
or commonly a "type D", and about a 10 Amp, although for just "short
circuit protection" a 15 Amp will be fine. The 10 amp will be easy to
find in a cartridge fuse in either size, but I think the lowest
available in a screw in type (household fuse panel) will be the 15.

A 15 Amp circuit breaker in your household panel should also be OK.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.