Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How big a face mill can a Millrite MVI handle? Update #2

On eBay, I bought a used Sandvik Coromant RA100 face mill, 4" diameter,
uses a 1.5" shell mill arbor, and has six carbide inserts.

The six special hex socket setscrews that tighten the wedges that hold
the inserts are a little worn, and slip on some hex keys. What's
special is that they have both left-hand and right-hand threads on them,
so tightening the setscrew pulls the wedge deeper in, fixing the insert.

I bought a Bison R8 to 1.5" arbor for it. Very pretty piece of iron.

Anyway, the Millrite MVI vertical mill with 1HP 900rpm pancake motor has
no problem spinning this face mill in aluminum, at least on pieces 2"
wide, and leaves a mirror surface.

Have not tried steel yet.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

no problem spinning this face mill in aluminum, at least on pieces 2"
wide, and leaves a mirror surface.

Have not tried steel yet.

The question will be what depth of cut (DOC) can you get. The less rigidity,
the less DOC. My Excello CNC would run this at .250" DOC and increase
feedrate till spindle RPM drops, my old tired bridgy at maybe 0.015" and a
very slow feed.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

no problem spinning this face mill in aluminum, at least on pieces 2"
wide, and leaves a mirror surface.

Have not tried steel yet.

The question will be what depth of cut (DOC) can you get. The less rigidity,
the less DOC. My Excello CNC would run this at .250" DOC and increase
feedrate till spindle RPM drops, my old tired bridgy at maybe 0.015" and a
very slow feed.

Being cautious, my initial pass in aluminum was 0.020", and the Millrite
gave no indications of strain to my eye or ear. I varied the feedrate
manually, and ended up at what your Excello probably considers a creep.
But I'll creep up on finding the max as experience grows. I suspect I
should use higher rpms.

What does your Excello weigh, and how big is the motor that spins the
mill?

The Millrite weighs ~1200# and has a 1HP motor.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What does your Excello weigh, and how big is the motor that spins the
mill?

4000# and 4 hp.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

What does your Excello weigh, and how big is the motor that spins the
mill?

4000# and 4 hp.

Call it four times larger, so the Millrite ought to be happy with a
0.250/4= 0.0625" depth of cut, which is three times more than I've tried
so far. An experiment is in order.

Joe Gwinn