Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do Not Call listings to expire in 2008

FYI...something I found interesting...

I assume that if this law lapses the telemarketers will use their Do
Not Call database as their phone list.

Did you know that personal cell numbers are being resold to mass
marketers without your permission?

TMT

Do Not Call listings to expire in 2008 By JENNIFER C. KERR, Associated
Press Writer
Fri Sep 21

The cherished dinner hour void of telemarketers could vanish next year
for millions of people when phone numbers begin dropping off the
national Do Not Call list.

The Federal Trade Commission, which oversees the list, says there is a
simple fix. But some lawmakers think it is a hassle to expect people
to re-register their phone numbers every five years.

Numbers placed on the registry, begun in June 2003, are valid for five
years. For the millions of people who signed onto the list in its
early days, their numbers will automatically drop off beginning next
June if they do not enroll again.

"It is incredibly quick and easy to do," Lydia Parnes, director of the
FTC's bureau of consumer protection, said in an interview with The
Associated Press this week. "It was so easy for people to sign up in
the first instance. It will be just as easy for them to re-up."

But Rep. Mike Doyle, D-Pa., says people should not be forced to re-
register to keep telemarketers at bay. Doyle introduced legislation
this week, with bipartisan support, to make registrations permanent.

"When someone takes the time and effort to say 'I don't want these
kinds of calls coming into my house,' they shouldn't have to keep a
calendar to find out when they have to re-up to keep this nuisance
from happening," Doyle said in an interview.

The FTC built the five-year expiration date into the program to
account for changes, such as people who move and switch their phone
number, Parnes said.

Doyle, however, points out that the list is purged each month of
numbers that have been disconnected and reassigned to new customers.

People can register their home and cell phone numbers or file
complaints at http://www.donotcall.gov or by calling 1-888-382-1222.

The registry prohibits telemarketers from calling phone numbers on the
list. Companies face fines of up to $11,000 for each violation.

Organizations engaged in charitable, political or survey work are
exempt. Companies that have an established business relationship with
a customer also may call for up to 18 months after the last purchase,
payment or delivery.

In the first week of the program, people signed up 18 million numbers.
The registry now has more than 149 million phone numbers.

"I think it's fantastic," said Bonnie Darling of Arlington, Va.
Darling placed her name on the list this year after being flooded with
calls from roofing companies, chimney sweeps and construction
businesses. She has not heard from those companies in months.

Darling is not worried about the five-year expiration. She said she
expects it to be just as easy to register as it was a couple months
ago.

The FTC plans a consumer education program next spring on the re-
registration process.

While polls have shown consumers reporting far fewer unwanted phone
calls, some telemarketers continue to violate the law.

Since the registry began, the government has filed cases against more
than 30 companies, resulting in $8.8 million in civil penalties and
$8.6 million in redress to consumers and forfeitures.

Most of the penalties were paid by satellite television provider
DirecTV Inc., as part of the largest settlement in the program's
history.

DirecTV agreed to pay $5.3 million in December 2005 to settle charges
that it and several telemarketing companies it hired had called
numbers on the list. The company said then that it had stopped working
with those telemarketers and taken steps to avoid calling numbers on
the list.

Telemarketers are required to pay an annual subscription fee to access
the FTC list so those numbers can be blocked from their dial-out
programs. The companies also must update their own calling lists every
31 days to ensure there are no numbers from the registry on them.

The annual subscription fee for the list costs $62 for each area code,
with a maximum cost of $17,050 for access to all U.S. numbers on the
list.

The FTC reported this year that 6,824 companies and other entities
paid $21.7 million in fees to access the database in fiscal year 2006.
All told, 15,218 entities have paid $59 million in fees to access the
database since the program's inception.

Most of the fees charged by the government are used to support the Do
Not Call program.

___

On the Net:

Information on the House bill, H.R. 3541, can be found at http://thomas.loc.gov

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
FYI...something I found interesting...

I assume that if this law lapses the telemarketers will use their Do
Not Call database as their phone list.

Did you know that personal cell numbers are being resold to mass
marketers without your permission?

But they won't be calling you, according to the FTC:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm

It doesn't hurt to register all of your numbers, but it won't make much
difference with cell phones.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Ed Huntress :

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
FYI...something I found interesting...

I assume that if this law lapses the telemarketers will use their Do
Not Call database as their phone list.

Did you know that personal cell numbers are being resold to mass
marketers without your permission?

But they won't be calling you, according to the FTC:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm

It doesn't hurt to register all of your numbers, but it won't make much
difference with cell phones.

It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to Ed Huntress :

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
FYI...something I found interesting...

I assume that if this law lapses the telemarketers will use their Do
Not Call database as their phone list.

Did you know that personal cell numbers are being resold to mass
marketers without your permission?

But they won't be calling you, according to the FTC:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm

It doesn't hurt to register all of your numbers, but it won't make much
difference with cell phones.

It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

Precision ICBMs. Once you've found one, you may have found a nest...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 3:53 pm, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
According to Ed Huntress :

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
FYI...something I found interesting...

I assume that if this law lapses the telemarketers will use their Do
Not Call database as their phone list.

Did you know that personal cell numbers are being resold to mass
marketers without your permission?

But they won't be calling you, according to the FTC:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm

It doesn't hurt to register all of your numbers, but it won't make much
difference with cell phones.

It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---- Hide quoted text -

I agree...the numbers I have seen state that over 20% of the bandwith
of the Internet now consists of spam.

A heck of a waste.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

It doesn't hurt to register all of your numbers, but it won't make much
difference with cell phones.

The last two times I have activated new cell phone numbers, I started
immediately getting telemarketing calls. Just a few weeks ago I activated a new
GO phone for my father, the next day he had dozens of text messages waiting.
Fortunately, he has no idea how to retrieve a text message...

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21 Sep 2007 20:53:47 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

According to Ed Huntress :

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
FYI...something I found interesting...

I assume that if this law lapses the telemarketers will use their Do
Not Call database as their phone list.

Did you know that personal cell numbers are being resold to mass
marketers without your permission?

But they won't be calling you, according to the FTC:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/02/dnccellphones.shtm

It doesn't hurt to register all of your numbers, but it won't make much
difference with cell phones.

It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Yeah, taking an ounce of flesh for each spam would rid us of spammers
quickly. And it's too bad the DNC list doesn't apply to fracking
political bull**** calls and charities. I was totally harassed by the
March of Dimes until I threatened to sue them to stop their 3x/week
mailings. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Wouldn't it be nice to see an "open season" declared on spammers and
bulk callers?

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess. Even if the do spam, you can't
access their website to support them by buying their lead painted, toxic
garbage.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 8:44 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

It doesn't hurt to register all of your numbers, but it won't make much
difference with cell phones.

The last two times I have activated new cell phone numbers, I started
immediately getting telemarketing calls. Just a few weeks ago I activated a new
GO phone for my father, the next day he had dozens of text messages waiting.
Fortunately, he has no idea how to retrieve a text message...

Vaughn

I read that the companies that sell you the cell service are now
selling cell numbers to telemarketeers.

Making an extra buck on your dime.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 8:46 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On 21 Sep 2007 20:53:47 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

According to Ed Huntress :

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

our every deficiency in foresight.- Hide quoted text -

Same here....when they call me I politely note that I consider the
call to be harassment and I will prosecute if any more come.

Then I get their manager online and get their name.

Then I get his manger online and get their name.

Few ever call back.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Michael A. Terrell :
Jon Danniken wrote:

[ ... ]

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess. Even if the do spam, you can't
access their website to support them by buying their lead painted, toxic
garbage.

I know that *I* block as much of China as I can identify, and
I'm adding more of it every day. I currently have 239 lines of
blocking, with most of them covering 65,025 IPs each, and some blocking
multiples of 16,581,375 IPs each.

I wish that there was a way to look up *all* the IPs allocated
to China, and Korea, and several others.

Of course, I can do this blocking only because I run my own mail
servers. If your ISP runs the mail server for you, there is less that
you can do.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:38:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess. Even if the do spam, you can't
access their website to support them by buying their lead painted, toxic
garbage.

If you blocked all the lead painted garbage the US economy would crash. The
reason the American consumer hasn't noticed a decreased standard of living
using almost worthless dollars is he is able to buy a neverending supply of
cheap imported goods.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tony wrote:

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess. Even if the do spam, you can't
access their website to support them by buying their lead painted, toxic
garbage.

If you blocked all the lead painted garbage the US economy would crash. The
reason the American consumer hasn't noticed a decreased standard of living
using almost worthless dollars is he is able to buy a neverending supply of
cheap imported goods.

I don't have the money to waste on cheap ****. Some of the tools and
other things I have were made in the US in the '60s and '70s so someone
else is buying all the cheap lead painted Chinese ****. My 'standard of
living' dropped by 80% when I became 100% disabled. I was already
living as cheaply as I could before it happened. If I wasn't, I would
have lost my home, and everything else.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Mark Rand
RTFM

You can't come up with an answer, so you post childish bull****.
Most of the spam that gets through comes from IP addresses assigned to
APNIC. By blocking them, it would all go away, till they cleaned up
their act. It wouldn't take very long. As soon as it started affecting
their exports they would start rounding up the worst offenders and
execute them.

http://www.apnic.net/

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Mark Rand
RTFM

You can't come up with an answer, so you post childish bull****.
Most of the spam that gets through comes from IP addresses assigned to
APNIC. By blocking them, it would all go away, till they cleaned up
their act. It wouldn't take very long. As soon as it started affecting
their exports they would start rounding up the worst offenders and
execute them.

http://www.apnic.net/

Pity your bile duct wasn't 100% disabled, what a pitiful bitter little man.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:32:18 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You can't come up with an answer, so you post childish bull****.
Most of the spam that gets through comes from IP addresses assigned to
APNIC. By blocking them, it would all go away, till they cleaned up
their act. It wouldn't take very long. As soon as it started affecting
their exports they would start rounding up the worst offenders and
execute them.

I run a busy mail server and already refuse all email from China and
Korea.

Unfortunately, I still get about 10,000 spams per day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:38:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

[ ... ]

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

[ ... ]

You can't come up with an answer, so you post childish bull****.

I get at least as much spam from US IP address as from APNIC
ones -- and I'm doing very active blocking against many sites. (I don't
know what the ratio might be if I were not doing the blocking, however.)

Most of the spam that gets through comes from IP addresses assigned to
APNIC. By blocking them, it would all go away, till they cleaned up
their act. It wouldn't take very long. As soon as it started affecting
their exports they would start rounding up the worst offenders and
execute them.

Note that if you block *all* of APNIC, you will also lose a lot
of our contributors from Australia. While some spam comes from there as
well, I don't get enough to massively block it as I do with both China
and Korea.

http://www.apnic.net/

[ ... ]

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

For that matter -- I get more spam from Florida here in the US
than from any other three states combined. (Though pre-Katrina, Slidel
LA was another major source.)

But most spam from *any* country comes from compromised Windows
machines being used to mail out the spam and to mail out virus code to
compromise yet more Windows machines.

If you look at the details of most spam source IPs from *any*
country, you will find that it is not from the ISP's servers, but from
cable or (A)DSL connected machines which are not *supposed* to be
sending out on port 25 (the SMTP port) anyway.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:38:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Appaerntly, Earthink is doing a good job trapping domestic spam. I
still see more foreign spam in languages that can't be displayed on my
computer, so all I see is random garbbage.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James wrote:

wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[...]

Sigh.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
It is a pity that there is not a do-not-spam registry -- with
teeth.

Hear, hear.

Hard to prosecute the ones from China, et al.

You don't have to. The US should block all IP addresses assigned to
China, till they clean up their mess.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Mark Rand
RTFM

You can't come up with an answer, so you post childish bull****.
Most of the spam that gets through comes from IP addresses assigned to
APNIC. By blocking them, it would all go away, till they cleaned up
their act. It wouldn't take very long. As soon as it started affecting
their exports they would start rounding up the worst offenders and
execute them.

http://www.apnic.net/

As others have indicated a lot of the spam (majority of what I receive) comes
from US ip addresses. Please feel free to execute the offenders. I am in the
process of changing my mail server from sendmail to exim. Then I will put the
Baysean filtering in rule list and reject spam instead of accepting it and
then deleting it.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

As others have indicated a lot of the spam (majority of what I receive) comes
from US ip addresses. Please feel free to execute the offenders. I am in the
process of changing my mail server from sendmail to exim. Then I will put the
Baysean filtering in rule list and reject spam instead of accepting it and
then deleting it.

Wrong again. It's Russia where they shoot spammers. here, they
just kill their internet connection.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

If you look at the details of most spam source IPs from *any*
country, you will find that it is not from the ISP's servers, but from
cable or (A)DSL connected machines which are not *supposed* to be
sending out on port 25 (the SMTP port) anyway.

Appaerntly, Earthink is doing a good job trapping domestic spam. I
still see more foreign spam in languages that can't be displayed on my
computer, so all I see is random garbbage.

O.K. Glad to see that it is unreadable on a typical Windows
computer too. :-)

It is often (in my experience) either in the "Big-5"
characterset (Chinese) or the "KOIR-8" characterset (Korean) -- even
when it comes from IPs in the US. :-)

I usually see it as just a row of '?????' in the "Subject: " and
"From: " headers.

It just goes to show how the use of remotely compromised
machines makes it really difficult to trace down the real source of the
spam.

I also see a lot of repeated delivery attempts even though each
is rejected. Here are the ones with 40 or over refused attempts (this
week) before I blocked them totally by re-routing the IPs to 127.0.0.1.

40 pool-70-104-151-168.lsanca.fios.verizon.net
40 static-71-127-51-195.washdc.east.verizon.net
40 stsou2-wifinat.cust.termsnet.cz
41 89.123.33.250
41 c-71-198-191-149.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
42 68-186-243-229.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com
48 sivka.carrier.kiev.ua
58 fmmailgate04.web.de
60 mx.alita.ru
64 mail.futures.ru
70 203.81.19.122
105 122.129.243.47
114 mail2.doubs.fr

As you can see -- there are quite a few in the US, even given
that all of the raw IPs are from outside the US (Korea in at least one
case, and China in another among the largest numbers.)

When I notice enough repeats of a given source scrolling up my
console window, I add it to the block list -- and depending on where it
is from -- I may expand that to as many IPs as I can.

Also -- notice that none of the US based ones have true DNS
names -- just auto-generated ones for the connections which are not
supposed to be running mail servers. I feel no compunction about
blocking those -- if they can't get a registered DNS entry indicating
that it is a mail server, then I don't need to accept SMTP connections
from them. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

If you look at the details of most spam source IPs from *any*
country, you will find that it is not from the ISP's servers, but from
cable or (A)DSL connected machines which are not *supposed* to be
sending out on port 25 (the SMTP port) anyway.

Appaerntly, Earthink is doing a good job trapping domestic spam. I
still see more foreign spam in languages that can't be displayed on my
computer, so all I see is random garbbage.

O.K. Glad to see that it is unreadable on a typical Windows
computer too. :-)

It is often (in my experience) either in the "Big-5"
characterset (Chinese) or the "KOIR-8" characterset (Korean) -- even
when it comes from IPs in the US. :-)

I usually see it as just a row of '?????' in the "Subject: " and
"From: " headers.

[...]

How about importing all the addresses into a databse to sort them for
you?

Also -- notice that none of the US based ones have true DNS
names -- just auto-generated ones for the connections which are not
supposed to be running mail servers. I feel no compunction about
blocking those -- if they can't get a registered DNS entry indicating
that it is a mail server, then I don't need to accept SMTP connections
from them. :-)

I will be moving my websites to a new host soon, and likely have my
own problenms with a email server. They give me 2500 email accounts,
with the basic package.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I had a shell script adding them automatically -- but it
mis-read some of the maillog file and started blocking some things which
I wanted to receive.

And things really get nasty in some parts of Europe (manged by
RIPE) where one or two Class-C subnets (256 IPs) will be one country,
and then totally different countries (similarly small blocks) on either
side -- except that I want to block country 'A', and to allow countries
'B' and 'C'.

And importing them from the whois servers is a good way to get
your access to said serves blocked. Most have nasty wording concerning
downloading of the full contents -- or any kind of automated lookup.

And sometimes jwhois guesses wrong about where to ask about a
given IP, and the return information is rather misleading. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:48:03 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

As others have indicated a lot of the spam (majority of what I receive) comes
from US ip addresses. Please feel free to execute the offenders. I am in the
process of changing my mail server from sendmail to exim. Then I will put the
Baysean filtering in rule list and reject spam instead of accepting it and
then deleting it.

Wrong again. It's Russia where they shoot spammers. here, they
just kill their internet connection.

I wasn't saying that it happened in the US. Just that I wouldn't loose much
sleep if it _started_ happening :-)

Although, one should have a small amount of sympathy for those that get
subsumed into a botnet:- Once.

If it's possible to extradite someone for hacking poorly protected US army,
navy, air force, and Department of Defense systems, it should be possible to
extradite spammers and the owners of the companies that they advertise and
prosecute them under existing laws or laws crafted specifically for the
purpose.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:39:28 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

As others have indicated a lot of the spam (majority of what I receive) comes
from US ip addresses. Please feel free to execute the offenders. I am in the
process of changing my mail server from sendmail to exim. Then I will put the
Baysean filtering in rule list and reject spam instead of accepting it and
then deleting it.

Wrong again. It's Russia where they shoot spammers. here, they
just kill their internet connection.

I wasn't saying that it happened in the US. Just that I wouldn't loose much
sleep if it _started_ happening :-)

"lose", please.

Although, one should have a small amount of sympathy for those that get
subsumed into a botnet:- Once.

If it's possible to extradite someone for hacking poorly protected US army,
navy, air force, and Department of Defense systems, it should be possible to
extradite spammers and the owners of the companies that they advertise and
prosecute them under existing laws or laws crafted specifically for the
purpose.

I'd rather have mercs take 'em out quietly instead. Much cheaper, and
I know there'd probably be plenty of folks who'd do it for the
satisfaction and airfare.

--
Honor unto death, or at least unto discomfort.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

[...]

Find out exactly where their computer(s) is located and use a bunker
buster. Then tell the other spammers that there are plenty of old bombs
to go around. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:40:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:39:28 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

I wasn't saying that it happened in the US. Just that I wouldn't loose much
sleep if it _started_ happening :-)

"lose", please.

Bloody spelling chequer

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:45:06 -0700, Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

FYI...something I found interesting...

I assume that if this law lapses the telemarketers will use their Do
Not Call database as their phone list.

Did you know that personal cell numbers are being resold to mass
marketers without your permission?

TMT

Just yesterday, I received a telemarketer call. "We see you are on the
Do Not Call list. Please press 1 to allow us to present this exciting
offer". Grrr

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:25:07 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:39:28 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

I wasn't saying that it happened in the US. Just that I wouldn't loose much
sleep if it _started_ happening :-)

"lose", please.

Bloody spelling chequer

That's "checker", bloody poor speller. You Brits with your extra "u",
I swear.

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----