Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cc/hp??

--Trying to find out what's about average. I've got an old gokart
with a Chinese clone of a Honda engine; it's 150cc but I've no idea what
that works out to in hp. Hoping to buy a new engine with more power for
another app but they're all rated in hp, rather than cc! Advice?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Feeling like Bender in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a strong magnetic field...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 11:29 am, steamer wrote:
--Trying to find out what's about average. I've got an old gokart
with a Chinese clone of a Honda engine; it's 150cc but I've no idea what
that works out to in hp. Hoping to buy a new engine with more power for
another app but they're all rated in hp, rather than cc! Advice?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Feeling like Bender in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a strong magnetic field...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

This honda engine

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_296_296

has 5 hp, with 9.8 cubic inch displacement or 160 cc.

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote: (clip) it's 150cc but I've no idea what that works out to
in hp. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is no direct conversion from cc to HP. A highly tuned engine can get
about 1 HP/cu inch--the old 36 HP VW, on the other hand, got about half
that. 150 cc is about 9.4 cu inches, so you may be getting anywhere from
around 4 to 8 HP.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

2 or 4 cycle?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
(Mean Effective Pressure xLxAxN)/33,000 An Engine that small is almost
without a doubt a 2 stroke.

Bob Swinney

Not if it's a Honda design!

They had 50, 90, and 125 cc single cylinder 4 stroke road bikes.

For racing, they had a five cylinder 125 back in the '60s

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dead horse G was cc/hp??

Newshound wrote:
SNIP

For racing, they had a five cylinder 125 back in the '60s

Got any links or confirmed info? G

This was beat to death about a year or two ago.

I'm still interested in reading about one.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

about 1 HP/cu inch--the old 36 HP VW, on the other hand, got about half
that. 150 cc is about 9.4 cu inches, so you may be getting anywhere from
around 4 to 8 HP.

--Close enough; thanks!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Feeling like Bender in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a strong magnetic field...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 5:51 pm, Steve Walker wrote:
Newshound wrote:

SNIP

For racing, they had a five cylinder 125 back in the '60s

Got any links or confirmed info? G

This was beat to death about a year or two ago.

I'm still interested in reading about one.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Well, using wiki as a starting point (its at least good for that):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-5
"The smallest straight-5 was found on the Honda racing motorcycle, the
125cc RC149, raced in 1966"

OK, google that model#, that gets us staright to honda:

http://world.honda.com/goodwood/machines/rc149/

A modified version of the RC148, the world's first 5-cylinder 125cc
road racer won the 1966 Manufacturers' and Riders' Championships.
East German GP winner. Rider: No.177 Luigi Taveri
Engine Air-Cooled 4-st. Inline-5 DOHC 4-Valve Gear Train
Displacement 124.42 cm3
Max.output over 34 PS / 20,500 rpm
Max.speed. over 210 km/h
Weight 85kg
Magneto Ignition 8-Speed Transmission

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 6:33 pm, wrote:
On Sep 20, 5:51 pm, Steve Walker wrote:

Newshound wrote:

SNIP

[...]

A little more info:

http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaas/1966.html

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 6:35 pm, wrote:
On Sep 20, 6:33 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 5:51 pm, Steve Walker wrote:

Newshound wrote:

SNIP

[...]

And there was even a 9-speed all-magnesium version.

Mein Gott!

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC149

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 6:37 pm, wrote:
On Sep 20, 6:35 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:33 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 5:51 pm, Steve Walker wrote:

Newshound wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Nice video here

http://www.nexialquest.com/westcoastcbx/rc149.html

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Nice video here

http://www.nexialquest.com/westcoastcbx/rc149.html

Dave

I expected it to "whine" more , like the newer sport bikes do when they
get wound up . With a 20k redline ... maybe he wasn't winding it out .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:19:16 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

(Mean Effective Pressure xLxAxN)/33,000 An Engine that small is almost without a doubt a 2 stroke.

Bob Swinney

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
2 or 4 cycle?

Being a Honda you almost don't need to ask. Virtually ALL 4 stroke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:42:35 -0700, wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:37 pm, wrote:
On Sep 20, 6:35 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:33 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 5:51 pm, Steve Walker wrote:

Newshound wrote:

SNIP

[...]

A friend who has raced all kinds of classes claims to have seen and
competed againt a Honda Six in the 90CC class. It was apparently
sleeved to a smaller bore for the 90cc class - this was a boardtrack
"speedway" bike.
Look ma - NO BRAKES!!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 6:37 pm, wrote:
On Sep 20, 6:35 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:33 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 5:51 pm, Steve Walker wrote:

Newshound wrote:

SNIP

[...]

This is extremely hard to believe. The rc166 six had cylinders of 41mm
bore. If it had been sleeved to a displacement of 90cc the bore would be
about 25mm. If you look at the pictures of the engine internals you can
see valve pockets in the piston domes; without complete redesign of the
cylinder head the valves would interfere with such a sleeve; and I suspect
that the conrods would also have to be different to fit the pistons
required.

What other stories has your friend told you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

Nice video here

http://www.nexialquest.com/westcoastcbx/rc149.html

Dave

I expected it to "whine" more , like the newer sport bikes do when they
get wound up . With a 20k redline ... maybe he wasn't winding it out .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"
The road goes on forever ...
none to one to reply

Yeah, Snag, the sound on the video I saw sure wasnt the exhaust note of a
20K 5 cyl 4 stroker. I'd sure like to hear the real engine running at 20K.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 6:37 pm, wrote:
On Sep 20, 6:35 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:33 pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 5:51 pm, Steve Walker wrote:

Newshound wrote:

SNIP

[...]

It might have been a 5 cyl, not a six. It's a long time back. The guy
running it was from BC (Vancouver, I think) in the mid - late
seventies. At over 20,000 RPM it had quite a scream to the exhaust
note.