Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ames #2 hardness checker

I picked up an Ames hardness tester on Ebay. It seems to check out
okay (within +/-2 Rc on the Rc25 and Rc 65 calibration bars that came
with it), but you have to turn the load knob pretty hard to get to the
final load point. The manual advises against lubrication except at
the factory during a refurb. Anyone have any time using one of these?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to oldjag :
I picked up an Ames hardness tester on Ebay. It seems to check out
okay (within +/-2 Rc on the Rc25 and Rc 65 calibration bars that came
with it), but you have to turn the load knob pretty hard to get to the
final load point. The manual advises against lubrication except at
the factory during a refurb. Anyone have any time using one of these?

That's the hand-held one? IIRC, it does take quite a bit of
grip to tighten it enough. And I would go by their advice with the
tool, since they know what affects its accuracy.

I now use a digital readout one by "King" (in King of Prussia
PA), which looks at first glance like a bright red version of a little
portable Singer sewing machine. :-) Not as portable as the Ames, but
easier to use IMHO. (It was an eBay auction -- poorly described, and
went for a quite reasonable price, or I would still be using the Ames. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 11:55 pm, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
According to oldjag :

[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll live with it the way it is, just
seemed a little hard to turn going to the 150 kg full load point for a
rather delicate looking handle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to oldjag :

[ ... ]

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll live with it the way it is, just
seemed a little hard to turn going to the 150 kg full load point for a
rather delicate looking handle.

Well ... 150 KG is 330.69 pounds, so it is to be expected to
take a bit of effort.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Battery checker Gimpy Home Repair 13 December 14th 06 04:16 PM
Ames dangerous plastic Wheelbarrow rims kr0 Home Repair 1 March 15th 06 02:20 PM
home-depot rake, "Ames Comfort Plus, 24". End-grip slipped off. Bob Home Repair 1 September 21st 05 08:16 PM
Continuity checker - where to buy? Blair UK diy 14 July 28th 05 01:58 PM