Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor identification

A young fella at work brought in a compressor head that he picked
up out of the junk. He wants advice and help on fixing.

Good/excellent condition vertical 60 gallon tank. Old and heavy.

The castings, paint, and shape would appear to predate 1950.
V twin 2 stage.
Big cylinder 2 1/2
Little cylinder 1 3/8
Reeds are shaped a bit like a lava lamp.
Back check/unloader is a fist sized bronze casting with a brass
thin shell sleeve inside pushing a rubber "washer" like end, no
spring.
2 journals on the crank. Each journal has two bronze looking rods
on a bronze pivot block.
Heavy copper lines with cooling fins.
No brand or ID except for one in the crankcase casting. Fine
lettering around the perimeter which says Made in the United
States of America. There may have been 3 letters in the center of
that area, though they have been obliterated or were mis-cast.
The exterior paint is mighty uniform, and would appear to be
factory (I know there are no guarantees) - it is a dark green,
darker than SpeedAire or John Deere, but not all the way to Hunter
Green.

We tore it down some to see the rings, etc. The cylinders are in
excellent shape, the pistons look great, the rings seem OK to me.

Tore down the reed plates. The piston side has two lava lamp
shaped reeds{one flat against the port, one arched to pressure the
ends, not the center} above each piston (one large, one small)
held in location with an aluminum plate with holes and the two
reeds trapped in a recess. One of the large ones is eaten
through. All should probably be replaced as I can feel the
"ditch" where they have been hammering against the port.

Had him take a cylinder and a reed plate down to a local
compressor repair shop. "Boy, that sure is a heavy duty
compressor, but I've never seen anything like it." Same at
another one. I've not gone out to the Quincy source, yet.

Any ideas about brand?
Any ideas about parts source?
Any ideas about a satisfactory reed material? The big ones are 2"
long and 1" wide where they are fat in the center. Kinda rules
out using feeler gauges I know about.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like a Worthington head...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 4:57 pm, "DanG" wrote:
[...]

Ingersoll Rand: http://www.nebraskatool.com/images/A...essors/007.jpg
DeVilbiss: http://www.nebraskatool.com/images/A...essors/003.jpg
Rol-Air: http://www.remediationequipment.com/...compressor.JPG
Quincy: http://www.remediationequipment.com/...compressor.JPG
Another Ingersoll: http://www.remediationequipment.com/...compressor.jpg
Gardner-Denver: http://www.allstarcorp.com/surplus/air_compressor.jpg
Something weird: The Fu-Sheng OLD series:
http://www.fusheng.com/machinery/ima...compr_old1.jpg
A bunch of LeRois: http://www.topcooilsite.com/compressors/leroi_comps.jpg
See this page: http://www.air-compressors-here.com/

That was fun. I'd forgotten how many old compressors there
were, and I'm sure there are a lot more.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 5:37 pm, wrote:
Sounds like a Worthington head...

Like this?

http://www.woods-group.co.uk/hp/comp..._ws_FTV36D.JPG

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Worthington valves would appear to be long rectangular strips.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sounds like a Worthington head...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan,

I hope there are some more. I looked at all the pictures you
linked, but it is amazing to me that as similar as they all are,
how totally different each is. I had forgotten the Rol-Air and
the LeRois.

The air intake on the one I need are on the top of the head in the
center. The dark green on the one you identify as a Quincy is
about right (I thought Quincy had always been blue)

The UK entry is not it, but I had not ever seen one with the motor
direct drive before.

Keep sending ideas.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 19, 4:57 pm, "DanG" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

If you have to make the valves, most tool suppliers have steel shim stock
that might be suitable.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DanG wrote:
A young fella at work brought in a compressor head that he picked
up out of the junk. He wants advice and help on fixing.

Had him take a cylinder and a reed plate down to a local
compressor repair shop. "Boy, that sure is a heavy duty
compressor, but I've never seen anything like it." Same at
another one. I've not gone out to the Quincy source, yet.

I'm pretty sure it is not a Quincy, all the ones I've seen use
cast iron disc valves that last forever. That makes it easy to
install an unloader, too.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Quincyies I know all have unique unloader cylinders (valves?)
on top of the heads. This is not like any Quincy I know about.
The reason to go there would be to hopefully see one more
compressor guru.

--
______________________________

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
DanG wrote:
A young fella at work brought in a compressor head that he
picked up out of the junk. He wants advice and help on fixing.

Had him take a cylinder and a reed plate down to a local
compressor repair shop. "Boy, that sure is a heavy duty
compressor, but I've never seen anything like it." Same at
another one. I've not gone out to the Quincy source, yet.

I'm pretty sure it is not a Quincy, all the ones I've seen use
cast iron disc valves that last forever. That makes it easy to
install an unloader, too.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Run the valves by a motorcycle speed shop and ask for 2 stroke reeds to look
at?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 7:28 pm, "DanG" wrote:
Dan,

I hope there are some more. I looked at all the pictures you
linked, but it is amazing to me that as similar as they all are,
how totally different each is. I had forgotten the Rol-Air and
the LeRois.

The air intake on the one I need are on the top of the head in the
center. The dark green on the one you identify as a Quincy is
about right (I thought Quincy had always been blue)

The UK entry is not it, but I had not ever seen one with the motor
direct drive before.

Remember that the compressor itself can be mounted any number of
ways an a tank or frame, driven direct or via belts, painted any
color, and so on. Depends who is engineering the overall assembly.
Look at things like the bearing end caps to note similarities between
what you have and what you see in the pictures. Compressor
manufacturers often minimize their inventory between various models by
using common end caps and other parts.

Dan

Bug identification clifto Home Repair 1 August 10th 07 05:10 AM
IC identification [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 8th 07 03:28 PM
Diode Identification [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 August 30th 06 08:27 AM
Bug identification help JJ Home Repair 7 November 6th 05 01:43 PM
Modem identification. Can someone please help? [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 January 29th 05 12:22 AM