Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is wrong with this compressor?

I'm about ready to purchase a compressor for my power hammer and I'm going
through the ones on MSC, and I see this:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29558688

Ok, this one says that is runs 30cfm, and is about $400 less than the ones
that say they run at 24cfm. I do see that it is a single stage rather
than a two stage compressor. The hammer uses about 20-22cfm. Any reason
I shouldn't get this?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
I'm about ready to purchase a compressor for my power hammer and I'm going
through the ones on MSC, and I see this:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29558688

Ok, this one says that is runs 30cfm, and is about $400 less than the ones
that say they run at 24cfm. I do see that it is a single stage rather
than a two stage compressor. The hammer uses about 20-22cfm. Any reason
I shouldn't get this?

For that kind of cash get a used Quincy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 11:14 am, Todd Rich wrote:
I'm about ready to purchase a compressor for my power hammer and I'm going
through the ones on MSC, and I see this:http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29558688

Ok, this one says that is runs 30cfm, and is about $400 less than the ones
that say they run at 24cfm. I do see that it is a single stage rather
than a two stage compressor. The hammer uses about 20-22cfm. Any reason
I shouldn't get this?

If you don't have any applications requiring high
pressure this should be great.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger wrote:
(snip)
If you don't have any applications requiring high
pressure this should be great.

dennis
in nca

Everything in the forecast looks to need less than 120psi. Probably
closer to 100psi.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TP Tools has free shipping on their 7.5hp compressor:
http://www.tptools.com/p/426,91_7-1a...on-Series.html
I've purchased a bunch of stuff from them... been very happy.

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
I'm about ready to purchase a compressor for my power hammer and I'm going
through the ones on MSC, and I see this:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29558688

Ok, this one says that is runs 30cfm, and is about $400 less than the ones
that say they run at 24cfm. I do see that it is a single stage rather
than a two stage compressor. The hammer uses about 20-22cfm. Any reason
I shouldn't get this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Todd Rich wrote:

I'm about ready to purchase a compressor for my power hammer and I'm going
through the ones on MSC, and I see this:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29558688

Ok, this one says that is runs 30cfm, and is about $400 less than the ones
that say they run at 24cfm. I do see that it is a single stage rather
than a two stage compressor. The hammer uses about 20-22cfm. Any reason
I shouldn't get this?

Might be really loud and hot and not last long. Lots of off-brand compressors
are.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I shouldn't get this?

For that kind of cash get a used Quincy.

You gets what you pays for in this kind of equipment.

When I was young and foolish I bought a crapsman 2hp compressor. It died in
a couple years, so I bought a crapsman 4hp. Only to find out the horses had
gotten smaller, it didn't put out a bit more usable air. It died within a
couple years.

I found a Quincy 7.5 hp. two stage at an auction 15 years ago. So far, I've
had to tighten the belt once.

I also got a PTO Quincy compressor for pruning. It runs over 1000 hours a
year. I've had a lot more trouble with it - had to tighten the belt at least
five times now.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...

I shouldn't get this?

For that kind of cash get a used Quincy.

You gets what you pays for in this kind of equipment.

When I was young and foolish I bought a crapsman 2hp compressor. It died
in a couple years, so I bought a crapsman 4hp. Only to find out the horses
had gotten smaller, it didn't put out a bit more usable air. It died
within a couple years.

I found a Quincy 7.5 hp. two stage at an auction 15 years ago. So far,
I've had to tighten the belt once.

I also got a PTO Quincy compressor for pruning. It runs over 1000 hours a
year. I've had a lot more trouble with it - had to tighten the belt at
least five times now.

Karl

I have three matched belts on each Quincy. Never had to tighten them...I
better check now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OBTW, send the box-o-parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...
OBTW, send the box-o-parts.

Just as soon as my working hours drop below 100 hours a week, I will.
Strongest demand I've seen in years.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It says "30 cubic feet", but at what pressure does it do that? I'd
want to know that for any compressor I'd buy. The worst case is when
they give you "free air" pumping rate. The pumping rate goes down
rapidly as the pressure goes up.
I would want to know that parts are available locally. For
instance, one of my kids tipped my IR outfit over and knocked off the
intake filter. the other kid works a couple of miles from a
dealership, so it was no big deal.

Power hammer, eh? I take it you get into blacksmithing. Are you
hooked up with a club? See what they other members like. They may
have been through this already.
Also, I'd consider contacting the company you bought the machine
from or the guys who provided the plans if you built it yourself.

Personally, I'd go for the 2 stage model, since you can store more power
in the tank at higher pressures. As you know, you can't hardly use the
power hammer 100 percent of the time anyway so, unless you are a
production shop, the lower rate probably won't be an issue.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

Todd Rich wrote:

I'm about ready to purchase a compressor for my power hammer and I'm going
through the ones on MSC, and I see this:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29558688

Ok, this one says that is runs 30cfm, and is about $400 less than the ones
that say they run at 24cfm. I do see that it is a single stage rather
than a two stage compressor. The hammer uses about 20-22cfm. Any reason
I shouldn't get this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah, I've seen the "free air" stat occasionally. I need 20cfm @ 100psi.

I would want to know that parts are available locally. For
instance, one of my kids tipped my IR outfit over and knocked off the
intake filter. the other kid works a couple of miles from a
dealership, so it was no big deal.

Power hammer, eh? I take it you get into blacksmithing. Are you
hooked up with a club? See what they other members like. They may
have been through this already.
Also, I'd consider contacting the company you bought the machine
from or the guys who provided the plans if you built it yourself.

Not with a club, but I've worked with several other blacksmiths and used
mechanical hammers before. I've also gone to the ABANA conference and
gone through Kinyon's class. I am also involved with online smithing
communities. However, while they mention generalities with compressor
needs (2 stage, large tank (80 gal or better), go by cfm, not HP, get the
proper plumbing for it, filters, and dryers, proper mounting/isolation
pad), they tend not to get too specific on brands and actual models. I
didn't actually see that it was single stage until after I started the
post, but wasn't sure exactly how much of a difference that made, so I
figured I'd finish out the post. Oh and the plans are the Ron Kinyon
ones through ABANA. I'll be going with some of the more popular
modifications. I'm down to just needing to get the compressor, valving,
plumbing, and ram.

Personally, I'd go for the 2 stage model, since you can store more power
in the tank at higher pressures. As you know, you can't hardly use the
power hammer 100 percent of the time anyway so, unless you are a
production shop, the lower rate probably won't be an issue.

There is a Campbell Hausfeld 2 stage that is carried by Grizzly that is
27cfm at 90psi, and 25cfm at 175psi. http://www.grizzly.com/products/g2815
I'm close enough I can pick it up in person and not worry about shipping.
But I'll check Ebay and Craigslist first to see if there is a decent used
one I can get locally. I've already got 240v available.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...
OBTW, send the box-o-parts.

Just as soon as my working hours drop below 100 hours a week, I will.
Strongest demand I've seen in years.

Karl

We don't NEED no stinking sleep!

Okay, I was wrong... John Smith Home Repair 8 August 15th 05 02:45 AM
What am I doing wrong? JuanKnighter Woodworking 4 June 24th 05 03:57 PM
Is this wrong? Sparks UK diy 14 December 6th 04 08:52 AM
What am I doing wrong? Maxprop Woodturning 22 August 6th 04 01:17 AM
what's wrong with my saw? donald girod Woodworking 3 July 16th 03 06:09 PM