Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic engine as pump

Sjokomopu fired this volley in
:

I'd like to use a hydraulic engine as a backup propulsion system on my
boat. I need max 50kW at 200rpm.

Does anybody know if I can use a hydraulic radial piston engine as a
hydraulic pump while I am not using it (as an engine, that is) as a
backup for my hydraulics system??

I also worry if I could power such a hydraulic engine with my existing
axial piston pump (powered by a 3cyl diesel) or if that is simply a
question of getting the flow vs. pressure right.

Thx for your input,

Al

We in the U.S. use the term "engine" mostly to describe a prime-mover --
a device which directly converts a fuel to mechanical energy. What you
describe seems to be a "hydraulic motor" -- a device that converts a form
of transmittable energy (hydraulic force) into rotary mechanical energy.

Many hydraulic motors may be used as pumps with no particular
limitations. Some types are not. A radial or axial piston pump/motor is
usually suitable for both types of duty. Variable-displacement pumps are
seldom used as motors, but fixed-displacement types work fine.

LLoyd