Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need a better way to post projects

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

A web page can be formatted nicely, & easily, but it can't be stored in
the DropBox and links tend to get broken. There is a FireFox add-on
that will store a web page as a .jpg, but the jpg is too big & the text
quality low.

Any ideas?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:12:28 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

A web page can be formatted nicely, & easily, but it can't be stored in
the DropBox and links tend to get broken. There is a FireFox add-on
that will store a web page as a .jpg, but the jpg is too big & the text
quality low.

Any ideas?

Bob

=======
Get a different photo editor program to add text to the photos.
A shareware that I like [try before donate/buy] is I-view.

click on
http://www.irfanview.com/

Even if you don't have their digital camera, you can download the
software and these have text addition options and photo
manipulation capabilities.
click on
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...load/software/
try the other brands in addition to the one you may own.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:12:28 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

A web page can be formatted nicely, & easily, but it can't be stored in
the DropBox and links tend to get broken. There is a FireFox add-on
that will store a web page as a .jpg, but the jpg is too big & the text
quality low.

You can post it to the wiki at http://metalworker.org/, it is publicly
available and easy to use, you can upload images, PDFs etc. You will
be making the content available under the GNU free documentation
license.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

A web page can be formatted nicely, & easily, but it can't be stored in
the DropBox and links tend to get broken. There is a FireFox add-on
that will store a web page as a .jpg, but the jpg is too big & the text
quality low.

Any ideas?

Bob

Much as I generally dislike them, an Acrobat PDF is probably the best
format for this purpose. Not sure what you'd do with associated CAD
files, etc. though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

[...]

Unless you are offering the CAD file for editing, all that is really
needed is a picture of the CAS screen. Simple JPG.

Most CAD programs offer that feature.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:37:20 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Much as I generally dislike them, an Acrobat PDF is probably the best
format for this purpose. Not sure what you'd do with associated CAD
files, etc. though.

======
easy solution -- download one of the "free" pdf printers and
"print" the cad file as a pdf.
see
http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

There are many low cost webhosting options. Have you checked to see if your
ISP offers personal webspace? You wouldn't have to host the pictures there
(usually personal webspace is small) but you can put the *html file there
pointing to the drop box entries.

GoDaddy.com is a good provider for full service hosting.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

A web page can be formatted nicely, & easily, but it can't be stored in
the DropBox and links tend to get broken. There is a FireFox add-on
that will store a web page as a .jpg, but the jpg is too big & the text
quality low.

You could do what I do which is to own your own domain name (costs about $5/yr
to register) and have your ISP host your Web page.

Or get a copy of Acrobat, which will allow you to PDF files including both
text and photos. I use Adobe FrameMaker to make such files, but you can use
any modern word processor.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

[...]

I didn't mean pics of CAD documents, I meant the full document. If you
look in the dropbox you'll find a good number of DXFs and similar for
various project so people can use them if they want to build the
project, particularly in the case where they want to build a variant of
the project and the ability to edit the CAD file is helpful.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:

======
easy solution -- download one of the "free" pdf printers and
"print" the cad file as a pdf.
see
http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Also PrimoPDF at:
http://www.primopdf.com/

I use it on my Windows machines.

technomaNge
--
I spell "not interested" with 3 "F"s, a "C", a "K",
plus the vowels "O" and "U".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:43:04 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

There are many low cost webhosting options. Have you checked to see if your
ISP offers personal webspace? You wouldn't have to host the pictures there
(usually personal webspace is small) but you can put the *html file there
pointing to the drop box entries.

GoDaddy.com is a good provider for full service hosting.

LunarPages.com is a MUCH better host, IMHO. GoDaddy email provisions
suck and their daily advertising got way over the top quickly.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

A web page can be formatted nicely, & easily, but it can't be stored in
the DropBox and links tend to get broken. There is a FireFox add-on
that will store a web page as a .jpg, but the jpg is too big & the text
quality low.

Any ideas?

Bob

=========
After reviewing the instructions on using the dropbox at
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html
a possible solution is to create the required text description
file and one large zip file containing all the graphics,
cnc/text, and cad files for that project.

there are many free/share ware archivers that will create a zip
file containing many files/types. see
http://www.winzip.com/
seems to be the most popular. some others are
http://www.topshareware.com/TurboZIP-download-10277.htm
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
google on zip archiver download for 6mm hits if you don't like
any of these.

For the people running linux or mac o/s, can you "unzip" files on
your systems or do they need to be in the tar or some other
format format?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:36:03 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
technomaNge quickly quoth:

F. George McDuffee wrote:

======
easy solution -- download one of the "free" pdf printers and
"print" the cad file as a pdf.
see
http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Also PrimoPDF at:
http://www.primopdf.com/

I use it on my Windows machines.

I use Acrobat Pro and my client uses CutePDF. My output of his monthly
calendars ranges between 86Kb and 143Kb. His are all just over a meg.
I couldn't believe the difference.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
where we were and as we lived it better, brighter, and more beautiful.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Much as I generally dislike them, an Acrobat PDF is probably the best
format for this purpose. Not sure what you'd do with associated CAD
files, etc. though.

======
easy solution -- download one of the "free" pdf printers and
"print" the cad file as a pdf.
see

No, that's basically the same thing at the JPG.

Looks like DXF is the solution here.
Best cross platform format available.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

file name is the key. They sort together. Suffix is the other key.
A file type.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

A web page can be formatted nicely, & easily, but it can't be stored in
the DropBox and links tend to get broken. There is a FireFox add-on
that will store a web page as a .jpg, but the jpg is too big & the text
quality low.

Any ideas?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to all who replied - I got my answer and some other good stuff, too.

I have web space available on my ISP's server and I do use it. What I
don't like about it is its volatility - I can clean it out, or move
stuff and current links are broken. I see this a lot when searching for
something in Google Groups. Another unfortunate example is Chipmaker's
site - lot of good stuff would be just gone, except that it did get put
in the web archive. I feel the DropBox is more secure. Not that my
stuff is that precious - :^)

Like George, I went and re-read the DropBox instructions (RTFM!). It
doesn't prohibit html, but there is no current use of it, so I'll stay
away. PDF's are used, though, and I like that idea. I didn't realize
that there were free PDF converters available, so "thanks George", for
the link to CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp)!

I had done a recent project write up in html and put it in my web space:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...scription.html
I just used CutePDF to make it a pdf and put it in the DropBox:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...nsionGauge.pdf
(I "printed" to custom "paper" that was 32" long to get it on 1 page.
Otherwise the images caused pagination with way too much white space.)
I like the pdf much better - there is more flexibility in viewing it.

Thanks again to all who replied,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:
Get a different photo editor program to add text to the photos.
A shareware that I like [try before donate/buy] is I-view.

click on
http://www.irfanview.com/

Thanks. Even though I'm going the PDF route I downloaded IrfanView and
will give it a try.

Bob

BTW - IrfanView is FREE for home use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge wrote:
Also PrimoPDF at:
http://www.primopdf.com/

Umm - I tried PrimoOnline (send it a file & it sends back a PDF) and it
couldn't do an html-pdf conversion.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
I use Acrobat Pro and my client uses CutePDF. My output of his monthly
calendars ranges between 86Kb and 143Kb. His are all just over a meg.

The *one* conversion that I did with CutePDF created a pdf that was
about the same size as the total jpg's that went into it. I may *buy*
(gulp!) Acrobat Pro if I find CutePDF to be lacking.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:05:32 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I use Acrobat Pro and my client uses CutePDF. My output of his monthly
calendars ranges between 86Kb and 143Kb. His are all just over a meg.

The *one* conversion that I did with CutePDF created a pdf that was
about the same size as the total jpg's that went into it. I may *buy*
(gulp!) Acrobat Pro if I find CutePDF to be lacking.

CutePDF works well for line drawings, I use it for transmitting CAD
drawings. I just sent about a dozen yesterday that ranged from very
simple to pretty detailed. Sizes ranged from 26 to 70 KB.

I've never used it much for other types of documents.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:05:32 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob
Engelhardt quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I use Acrobat Pro and my client uses CutePDF. My output of his monthly
calendars ranges between 86Kb and 143Kb. His are all just over a meg.

The *one* conversion that I did with CutePDF created a pdf that was
about the same size as the total jpg's that went into it. I may *buy*
(gulp!) Acrobat Pro if I find CutePDF to be lacking.

Acrobat Standard v8: from $99 on Amazon; From $0.06 on eBay.
One nice thing is that you don't need the absolute newest version,
either. v6 or 7 should work just peachy at a definitely easier drop in
the money-pocket bulge.

Thanks,

Jewelcome.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
where we were and as we lived it better, brighter, and more beautiful.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Will the dropbox accept (.mht)'s? It's a webpage saved as a single
file. Opens in a web browser. It's the default save for IE7.
Karl

I thought of that, but I suspect it isn't cross platform compatible for
the Max and Linux folks, or the IE averse.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

technomaNge wrote:
Also PrimoPDF at:
http://www.primopdf.com/

Umm - I tried PrimoOnline (send it a file & it sends back a PDF) and it
couldn't do an html-pdf conversion.

Bob

http://www.pdf995.com/ works ok on HTML

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Sams-Index.html is a web page
that was converted to this PDF file:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Sams-Index.pdf

The only difference was that I removed the links before I printed the
HTML file. The program uses Ghostscript, and is a shell program. It is
free, but has an ad that opens. You can get rid of the ad by
registering the program for $10. I use it on a computer without web
access, so all it does is open a blank I.E. browser page.

It installs as if it is another printer. You select 'pdf995' as the
printer, then chose a folder and name the file.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I like the DropBox for its permanence - one can go back & find stuff
from years back. But I don't like the text & pictures separation -
there's too much back & forth to get the whole project. I tried
integrating them by having a composite with text (e.g., see
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg ). I like the
result, pretty much, but I had to do it in PhotoShop, which is a pain to
do text in.

There are many low cost webhosting options. Have you checked to see if your
ISP offers personal webspace? You wouldn't have to host the pictures there
(usually personal webspace is small) but you can put the *html file there
pointing to the drop box entries.

GoDaddy.com is a good provider for full service hosting.

Wes

http://ipower.com/webhosting_proplan.html

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why not put everything in a single folder? Or get decent webhosting?
http://ipower.com/webhosting_proplan.html

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I copied a 6 megapixel photo and some text to Google Docs to see how
it works;

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgg9gkbh_0hfbzkf

A second image of my sawmill exceeded its 2MB limit.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:18:12 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

" wrote:

Will the dropbox accept (.mht)'s? It's a webpage saved as a single
file. Opens in a web browser. It's the default save for IE7.
Karl

I thought of that, but I suspect it isn't cross platform compatible for
the Max and Linux folks, or the IE averse.

Opera web browser supports the mht format now. It is
available for Mac, Linux, Windows... See:

http://www.opera.com/

The freeware program 7-Zip has become quite popular too.
See:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/

I myself would prefer a zip archive with the project that
could be dumped onto a local directory (shrug). Let the text
file convince me that I really want to download/save it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:05:32 -0400, the renowned Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I use Acrobat Pro and my client uses CutePDF. My output of his monthly
calendars ranges between 86Kb and 143Kb. His are all just over a meg.

The *one* conversion that I did with CutePDF created a pdf that was
about the same size as the total jpg's that went into it. I may *buy*
(gulp!) Acrobat Pro if I find CutePDF to be lacking.

Thanks,
Bob

That sounds quite reasonable. Acrobat has the option to globally
downsample images to lower resolution, IIRC, so you can create
relatively small crappy pdfs, but I imagine that if CutePDF doesn't do
that you could manually reduce the resolution of the photos first-- in
fact a good image editing program (eg. Photoshop) might do a better
job downsampling than Acrobat.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Pete C. :
" wrote:

Will the dropbox accept (.mht)'s? It's a webpage saved as a single
file. Opens in a web browser. It's the default save for IE7.

The odds are that it will be rejected -- if it is any kind of
possible path for a virus infection.

Same with anything else which can be automatically executed by
IE or the like -- which even includes some audio and movie formats. :-)

I thought of that, but I suspect it isn't cross platform compatible for
the Max and Linux folks, or the IE averse.

Let alone those of us who use machines like my Sun workstations,
which *can't* run IE (thank goodness.) :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564