Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default so I bought something I can't use - anyone want it/trade/??? comparator

at a swap meet, there was this large lonley looking machine thingie in a big
box, so I bought it and dragged it home - found a manual in the box
explaining that it is a Prat & Whitney Sigmatic vertical mechanical
comparator - looks like it will clean up and be fine, but I haven't lifted
it out of the car yet (hurt back, need to wait a few more days). Now that I
know what it is, I am quite sure I'll never need it, though I suppose I
could put the anvil aside to use for some purpose - I'd rather see this find
a good home - will trade for something I can use, or of course cold hard
cash - it's heavy, and in the Los Angeles area - if you want it, contact me
using the instructions below. If you want to talk about the foolishness of
buying yet another tool to "find out what it is, really", then have at it on
the list - I'm sure we can all add our valuable input. This thing was
certainly NOT CHEAP at one time - it's a lot cheaper now....

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

wil lia m_b_n obl e at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:
[...]

What does the scale read? I used to repair hundreds of these things for
the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:

What does the scale read? I used to repair hundreds of these things for
the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo.

My dad worked there. Thank you Chrysler for my orthodontic work. Used to
live in Logansport.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How much would you you want to sell it for?

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
| the range is + - .003 full scale - I'll send you a photo separately to it
| doesn't clutter the NG.
|

| "Steve Walker" wrote in message
| William Noble wrote:
| at a swap meet, there was this large lonley looking machine thingie in
| big box, so I bought it and dragged it home - found a manual in the box
| explaining that it is a Prat & Whitney Sigmatic vertical mechanical
| comparator - looks like it will clean up and be fine, but I haven't
| lifted it out of the car yet (hurt back, need to wait a few more days).
| Now that I know what it is, I am quite sure I'll never need it, though
| suppose I could put the anvil aside to use for some purpose - I'd
rather
| see this find a good home - will trade for something I can use, or of
| course cold hard cash - it's heavy, and in the Los Angeles area - if
you
| want it, contact me using the instructions below. If you want to talk
| about the foolishness of buying yet another tool to "find out what it
is,
| really", then have at it on the list - I'm sure we can all add our
| valuable input. This thing was certainly NOT CHEAP at one time - it's
| lot cheaper now....
|

| What does the scale read? I used to repair hundreds of these things for
| the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo.
|
| --
| Steve Walker
| (remove wallet to reply)
|

| --
http://www.teranews.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

$65 if you come pick it up, less if you bring me a gift that doesn't weigh
as much, photo on its way separately to you.

"E Kinney" wrote in message

How much would you you want to sell it for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

top posting to annoy those who this annoys:
Iopened up the gauge head on this unit, and as some poster had noted (I
can't find the post now), the little strip of spring copper that connects
the meter pointer to the two actuating rods is broken - so my new question,
over and above the "does anyone want this" is - where can I get one of those
copper strips - I suppose I can make one, but that's probably not optimal.

oh, it is three thousands full scale, a ten thousandth per division on the
scale. I've been cleaning it up, looks like everything (except the broken
copper spring) is fine, it was just dirty.

now - where to get that spring piece

William Noble wrote:
[...]

Comparator question Farticus Electronics 8 September 11th 06 02:37 PM
enzhou Taitong import & export trade Co., Ltd. is a stock-company specializing in the import & export trade that approved by the Ministry of Foreign Economic Relations and Trade of People's Republic of China. The company registered capital is [email protected] UK diy 6 August 15th 06 02:46 AM
FA: HP Logic Lab and Comparator simon hanlon Electronics Repair 0 March 9th 06 09:08 PM
trade MDB Woodturning 7 April 26th 05 03:05 PM
OT - Take it out in trade Phil Crow Woodworking 9 January 8th 04 02:17 AM