Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - In Age of High-Tech, Are Americans Losing Touch with DIY Skills?

On Sep 14, 4:16 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
Couldn't find a racoon so I skinned a porcupine, then a skunk. Neither
one worked out very well...

Ouch! I'll bet the porky made a very uncomfortable hat.

But here's something that surprised me -- and I'm completely serious about
this -- that _BL_ article mentioned that skunks make very nice caps. I don't
recall what they said about the smell, but, IIRC, a good shot with a .22 to
the head was supposed to kill them before they spray. Getting the gland out
of them is another matter.

Ed Huntress

Like most new TV shows that teaser is the only interesting part of the
story.

I managed to skin them without getting stuck or stunk but at that time
I didn't know how to preserve them, and while I was waiting for "Tan
Your Hide" to arrive and they were hung up high on stretching frames
the crows took them.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:47:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "H.C.
Minh" quickly quoth:

Too_Many_Tools wrote in
roups.com:

In an accompanying aritcle to the PM's list of 25 skills every
man should know!
a discussion of whether Americans are losing their DIY skills.

Are they or are the skills needed just changing?

Your thoughts?

I suspect it is a bit of both.

TMT

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4221637.html

SNIP

I have a much more subversive opinion.

There are now 150 million more people in the US than in 1950. This
is double.

"Social" competition has become intense.

Everyone is trying to steal from someone else. You may call it taxes
or fees or dues or premiums or whatever but it's still trying to get
someone elses money for something they can't decline.

I'm transporting my 90 y/o neighbor down to court next Wednesday to
fight his other neighbor who is trying to steal his back lot out from
under him. I had no idea that homesteader laws still existed with the
prices they get for land nowadays.

The mental and physical effort to navigate the new society does not
leave people with as much energy to develop skills that are not
directly relevant to their primary vocation.

Ah, interesting theory. That might explain why my DIY tendencies
flourish. I'm a bookish man, a recluse by nature, who simply ignores
most of society. With noone constantly around me, I do everything
myself, if at all possible, and I love doing that.

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:35:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Sep 14, 9:05 pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:02:44 -0400, "ATP*"

On a more serious note, I think in many cases the obstacle to doing
things is not a lack of skills, but ignorance of the fact that a given
task is possible with relatively modest and easy to acquire skills.

That right there is what amazes me. I had a co-worker over at my
house and he was amazed at a simple shelf I built to put the microwave
on to free up counter space.

Need to see what he thinks when I cast concrete counter tops.

What does the surface look like when you're done? Do you put colored stones
in them, like terrazzo?

There's a good article on concrete countertops in the November issue
of Fine Homebuilding mag. They suggest using some river sand for the
extra color, though pigment is used to color the concrete.

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
--Frank Lloyd Wright
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:43:24 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:05:54 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On a more serious note, I think in many cases the obstacle to doing
things is not a lack of skills, but ignorance of the fact that a given
task is possible with relatively modest and easy to acquire skills.

That is absolutely true. I see folks throwing stuff away, because
they screwed up the power cord by sucking it up in the vacuum cleaner,
as a single example.

I picked up an electric lift chair for free a while back. They had
yanked sideways on the plug between the power supply and the chair. It
had broken one of the leads. I unscrewed the power supply case,
removed the socket, stripped the plug off, soldered the leads on, and
reassembled it. I asked $200 and got $185 for it a couple weeks ago.

Im flabergasted by folks who go all adither when they find out you
dont have go buy something new if it quites working.

It's fun to watch, isn't it?

I know a guy who bought a new TV set, because his 3 yr old big screen
quit working.

The new one didnt work either. The outlet was dead.. which was
connected to a switch on the wall he always knew was there..but
because it didnt turn on a light...didnt pay any attention to in the 9
yrs he lived in the house.

I've also done service calls and simply plugged in the faulty
appliance. It -magically- starts working after that. The first time, I
didn't charge for it. Ever since then, I have. They've got to learn
SOMEtime, wot?
--
Who is John Galt?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:43:26 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:46:16 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Ah, yeah, the Foxfire books are good. I've always enjoyed reading them.

If you have a library nearby that keeps old books, look for _Two Little
Savages_ by Ernest Thompson Seton (1911). It was my dad's favorite when he
was a boy and it may have been the most popular book for boys before 1925 or
so. I loved it when I was a boy, too. It contains a wealth of old woodlore,
including making "Indian style" leather by tanning with mashed, cooked
brains and liver...oh, well, you'd have to read it for yourself.

That is available from Project Gutenberg -

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

along with many other authors and titles.

Excellent. I checked our library catalog (still online for the Rogue
Community College) and they didn't have copies available. I'll check
'er out.
--
Who is John Galt?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:36:03 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

.. .
wrote:

Ah, yeah, the Foxfire books are good. I've always enjoyed reading them.

If you have a library nearby that keeps old books, look for _Two Little
Savages_ by Ernest Thompson Seton (1911). It was my dad's favorite when he
was a boy and it may have been the most popular book for boys before 1925
or
so. I loved it when I was a boy, too. It contains a wealth of old
woodlore,
including making "Indian style" leather by tanning with mashed, cooked
brains and liver...oh, well, you'd have to read it for yourself.

That is available from Project Gutenberg -

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Thanks, Gerry. I wouldn't have thought to look there.

They also have books by Babbage and John Bourne's _A Catechism of the
Steam Engine_ there. Etext 10998.
--
Who is John Galt?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

My favorite was the article on how to build your own airliner, legal
for passenger service in a few South American countries, using
discarded Electroluxes as turbine engines. On second thought, maybe
that was in Mad Magazine's "Popular Scientific Mechanics" parody...

Maybe not. Ever fly in a DC9? I swear those things were powered by
Electrolux or maybe Hoover.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:35:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

wrote in message
groups.com...
On Sep 14, 9:05 pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:02:44 -0400, "ATP*"

On a more serious note, I think in many cases the obstacle to doing
things is not a lack of skills, but ignorance of the fact that a given
task is possible with relatively modest and easy to acquire skills.

That right there is what amazes me. I had a co-worker over at my
house and he was amazed at a simple shelf I built to put the microwave
on to free up counter space.

Need to see what he thinks when I cast concrete counter tops.

What does the surface look like when you're done? Do you put colored
stones
in them, like terrazzo?

There's a good article on concrete countertops in the November issue
of Fine Homebuilding mag. They suggest using some river sand for the
extra color, though pigment is used to color the concrete.

Thanks! I'll look for it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 14, 9:05 pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:02:44 -0400, "ATP*"

On a more serious note, I think in many cases the obstacle to doing
things is not a lack of skills, but ignorance of the fact that a given
task is possible with relatively modest and easy to acquire skills.

That right there is what amazes me. I had a co-worker over at my
house and he was amazed at a simple shelf I built to put the microwave
on to free up counter space.

Need to see what he thinks when I cast concrete counter tops.

What does the surface look like when you're done? Do you put colored stones
in them, like terrazzo?

--
Ed Huntress

I cast my own countertops last year. Polished out to 400 grit with
diamond pads (iincredibly messy) it has a nice matt finish. The concrete
is dyed a charcoal color. The polishing brings out some of the lighter
aggregate--a nice contrast.

My handier friends can see that it is a bit of work, but not that
difficult a task (hardest part is getting the help to move the pieces).
My non-handy friends can't believe that you can do such things yourself.

dp

--

www.brndogwoodworks.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* wrote:

lew hartswick wrote in article

Jim Stewart wrote:

I have far more equipment and skills than
my dad did, and he was no slouch at DIY.

I think I do also and he was also. :-)

I put together a little toolkit for my
daughter to take with her to college. I
asked her if she ever used it last time
she was home. She said "all the time".

I did that for our daughter when she moved
away to another state and with good results.

Her current boyfriend is very good as well.
I handed him a new throttle position
sensor for her car and watched him install
it like a pro. Not a big job unless you
do something silly like drop the screws,
which he didn't.

OK. What is a throttle position sensor and
what is it needed/used for?. I know what
the throttle in a carburator is and how
it works but the position sensor is a new
one on me.
...lew...

One thing a TPS will do is tell the computer how hard the engine is
working......

For example......If you are at quarter throttle, moving down the highway at
2500 RPM the computer needs to set a different fueling scheme from having
the throttle wide-open with the engine turning 1000 RPM pulling a 35 foot,
loaded tag-a-long trailer up a hill.

That's a bit of an exxageration, but you get the idea.......

Throttle position is simply another measurement that is fed into the
computer to help it decide fuel and timing parameters.

OH! I see it has to do with those "new fangled" cars with computers
in them. I quit working on engines before that revolution started.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 15, 4:11 pm, lew hartswick wrote:

Throttle position is simply another measurement that is fed into the
computer to help it decide fuel and timing parameters.

OH! I see it has to do with those "new fangled" cars with computers
in them. I quit working on engines before that revolution started.
...lew...

One example of how the skill set is changing. My Dad knew whether Gee
or Haw was left or right. I don't.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"lew hartswick" wrote in message

snip

Throttle position is simply another measurement that is fed into the
computer to help it decide fuel and timing parameters.

OH! I see it has to do with those "new fangled" cars with computers
in them. I quit working on engines before that revolution started.
...lew...

It actually got worse before it got better. Now that they have computers
with diagnostics, it's at least possible to tell what's going on. I thought
the worst was in the late '70s and early '80s, when the carbs had 6 or more
circuits and you could hardly follow the vacuum lines around for all of the
mechanical and electro-mechanical emission-control doohickeys -- which
seemed to get out of adjustment every other week.

You'd probably find that it's not as bad as it used to be, if you decided to
take it up again. You just have to learn some new tricks.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Penner" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

It's probably more than I want to get into, but my wife has asked me about
it. Thanks for the info.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:28:32 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
How many of your family memeber under the age of 60 know how to change a
tire? If you call AAA here in ski season you might wait 5 hours.
Mechanical skills are usually inherited from someone who teaches, not
self-taught. We are the ones who can do that. I have left a long chain of
people in my trade with more than they came in with, as it is my turn.

Cell phones help in that regard. I got a call from my son's girlfriend two
weeks ago (her dad, a retired state police officer, wasn't reachable). She
was in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia with a flat tire and two
passengers, God knows how far from the nearest garage. I told them how to
set up the jack, how to loosen the lug nuts and the whole works over the
phone.

Amazingly, it worked. And now three more people know how to change a tire.
d8-)

Every woman in my family, and every woman Ive ever dated, was taught
how to change a tire.
(and shoot a handgun)

Gunner

My girlfriend in high school drove her dad's wrecker, and did some
work in his garage. She knew the name of almost tool he owned, because
she helped him clean them and put them away when he was too busy. She
ended up working as a nurse, which has its own tools of the trade.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snip

Who is John Galt?

You may be interested in an article that appeared today in the NYT, "Ayn
Rand's Literature of Capitalism." If you don't have a NYT account, and if
the article isn't among the freebies, send me an email address and I'll have
it emailed to you.

This might be a good time to identify how to email *me* g:

--
Ed Huntress

remove the "3" for a valid email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

and, (top posting to annoy the easily bothered) - one of the new "tricks" is
to go and spend some $$ on another tool - a "reader" that will connect to
your car's computer - you can spend $15 to $150,000 on the tool - for most
of us a tool in the $100 to $600 range suffices, the low end doesn't do
enough and the high end is just too expensive - sounds kinda like lathes and
mills, doesn't it?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:33:15 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Who is John Galt?

You may be interested in an article that appeared today in the NYT, "Ayn
Rand's Literature of Capitalism." If you don't have a NYT account, and if
the article isn't among the freebies, send me an email address and I'll have
it emailed to you.

I read _Atlas Shrugged_ a handful of months ago and thoroughly enjoyed
it. I do have a NYT account and did read the article. It was very
good! The connection to Greenspan was quite interesting, as was the
400k copies of the books given to students annually.

I received a 99 cent copy of _The Fountainhead_ from an eBayer
yesterday and it's in my reading queue--along with 40 new sci fi books
I got from eBay this month. Not watching any TV sure frees up your
time to read and get projects done.

This might be a good time to identify how to email *me* g:

Got it. Thanks for the tip on the article.

--
Who is John Galt?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:56:29 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In an accompanying aritcle to the PM's list of 25 skills every man
should know!
a discussion of whether Americans are losing their DIY skills.

Are they or are the skills needed just changing?

Your thoughts?

Which generation are you talking about?

I have far more equipment and skills than
my dad did, and he was no slouch at DIY.

Jim,

Clearly there are some people who still have DIY skills... but my
experience with college students (several thousand over the last
mumble-mumble years) suggests that mechanical skills are lacking.
Very, very lacking.

A bunsen burner has but two controls, a needle valve for gas and an
air inlet. Last time I taught freshman chemistry students, not more
than a third could adjust the burner properly (instructions printed in
the lab manual) and not more than a few percent *understood* how to
adjust the burner.

That's from the class that will be doctors, dentists, etc....

The lower-level nursing chemistry class was much, much worse....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

so, why is that the case, one could ask. I doubt that the class is
inherently less intelligent than a class of 40 or 140 years ago, One coudl
speculate that those that go to college don't engage in manual arts (much),
one could speculate many other things, but any clue what reasons might be
supported by DATA?

Clearly there are some people who still have DIY skills... but my
experience with college students (several thousand over the last
mumble-mumble years) suggests that mechanical skills are lacking.
Very, very lacking.

A bunsen burner has but two controls, a needle valve for gas and an
air inlet. Last time I taught freshman chemistry students, not more
than a third could adjust the burner properly (instructions printed in
the lab manual) and not more than a few percent *understood* how to
adjust the burner.

That's from the class that will be doctors, dentists, etc....

The lower-level nursing chemistry class was much, much worse....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:33:15 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

snip

Who is John Galt?

You may be interested in an article that appeared today in the NYT, "Ayn
Rand's Literature of Capitalism." If you don't have a NYT account, and if
the article isn't among the freebies, send me an email address and I'll
have
it emailed to you.

I read _Atlas Shrugged_ a handful of months ago and thoroughly enjoyed
it. I do have a NYT account and did read the article. It was very
good! The connection to Greenspan was quite interesting, as was the
400k copies of the books given to students annually.

Yes, when I read that I wondered if that's how my son got his copy.

I received a 99 cent copy of _The Fountainhead_ from an eBayer
yesterday and it's in my reading queue--along with 40 new sci fi books
I got from eBay this month. Not watching any TV sure frees up your
time to read and get projects done.

Good grief, that's a lot of sci fi. I'll stick to my Yankees - Red Sox game,
thanks...which I have to get back to right now.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:46:28 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

I read _Atlas Shrugged_ a handful of months ago and thoroughly enjoyed
it. I do have a NYT account and did read the article. It was very
good! The connection to Greenspan was quite interesting, as was the
400k copies of the books given to students annually.

Oops, I meant "as was the fact that 400k copies were given..."

Yes, when I read that I wondered if that's how my son got his copy.

Did you ever ask him?

I received a 99 cent copy of _The Fountainhead_ from an eBayer
yesterday and it's in my reading queue--along with 40 new sci fi books
I got from eBay this month. Not watching any TV sure frees up your
time to read and get projects done.

Good grief, that's a lot of sci fi.

I've learned more sociology from sci fi books than anywhere else.

I'll stick to my Yankees - Red Sox game,
thanks...which I have to get back to right now.

Wasn't it Morris Chestnut on SatNiteLive who said "Baseball be berry,
berry boring to me."? My mother, bless her heart 20 years ago, called
the game the "scratch and spit boys". All she saw were bored,
beer-bellied guys out there; guys who were scratching their balls and
spitting brown goo from their chew while they waited for something
interesting to happen. Y'know, the 98% of the game when a ball -isn't-
in play.

Um, enjoy! titter

--
Who is John Galt?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:46:28 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

I read _Atlas Shrugged_ a handful of months ago and thoroughly enjoyed
it. I do have a NYT account and did read the article. It was very
good! The connection to Greenspan was quite interesting, as was the
400k copies of the books given to students annually.

Oops, I meant "as was the fact that 400k copies were given..."

Yes, when I read that I wondered if that's how my son got his copy.

Did you ever ask him?

I just found out about the deal today, and he's away at college. He took 11
AP classes, though, so he'd be a candidate. He buys lots of books and his
tastes are...eclectic.

[...]

Phfft. Some people got no appreciation. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Don't scare me like that....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:18:04 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I just found out about the deal today, and he's away at college. He took 11
AP classes, though, so he'd be a candidate. He buys lots of books and his
tastes are...eclectic.

"AP" classes?

Um, enjoy! titter

Phfft. Some people got no appreciation. d8-)

What, for scratching balls, spitting tobacco goo, and steroids?
I loved football until they went on strike. I lost interest after
that. (Well, that and the Chargers always losing.)

Say, Ed. Can you 'splain the price these SnapOn body tools are
fetching on eBay? http://tinyurl.com/33copr thud

--
Who is John Galt?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:57:02 -0500, David Penner
wrote:

I cast my own countertops last year. Polished out to 400 grit with
diamond pads (iincredibly messy) it has a nice matt finish. The concrete
is dyed a charcoal color. The polishing brings out some of the lighter
aggregate--a nice contrast.

My handier friends can see that it is a bit of work, but not that
difficult a task (hardest part is getting the help to move the pieces).
My non-handy friends can't believe that you can do such things yourself.

dp

In 1946 my grandmother passed away and my grandfather came to live
with us in the "sticks" - we got electricity in 1949. He couldn't get
used to bathing in a wash tub so he built the forms and cast a bath
tub from concrete. I think he cast tubs for about a dozen families in
the area. We used this tub until we damaged it trying to relocate it
from behind the kitchen stove to the newly built bathroom.
This was part of the philosophy of the time - "If you want something -
figure out how to make it, if something breaks - figure out how to fix
it or learn how to get along without it."
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:18:04 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I just found out about the deal today, and he's away at college. He took 11
AP classes, though, so he'd be a candidate. He buys lots of books and his
tastes are...eclectic.

"AP" classes?

Um, enjoy! titter

Phfft. Some people got no appreciation. d8-)

What, for scratching balls, spitting tobacco goo, and steroids?
I loved football until they went on strike. I lost interest after
that. (Well, that and the Chargers always losing.)

Say, Ed. Can you 'splain the price these SnapOn body tools are
fetching on eBay? http://tinyurl.com/33copr thud

Huh,huh,huh.. breathing in a paper
bag so I don't pass out...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:43:57 -0700, "
wrote:

On Sep 15, 4:11 pm, lew hartswick wrote:

Throttle position is simply another measurement that is fed into the
computer to help it decide fuel and timing parameters.

OH! I see it has to do with those "new fangled" cars with computers
in them. I quit working on engines before that revolution started.
...lew...

One example of how the skill set is changing. My Dad knew whether Gee
or Haw was left or right. I don't.

Dan

Obviously
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OH! I see it has to do with those "new fangled" cars with computers
in them. I quit working on engines before that revolution started.
...lew...

To work on modern cars and be capable of diagosing multiple a mechanic needs
tools such as these
Scanner, $3695.00
http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diag...roup_ID =3098
Update the scanner twice a year for about $995
And he also has to verify that the old part was indeed faulty (and that the
replacement is not defective) with another tool, $2495
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
and updates for it cost another $400.
There are cheaper solutions, but a pro needs to buy good tools.
My newest vehicle of 7 registered and insured vehicles is a 96 cherokee with
a pre-scan tool injection system. Since I started working on Bosch FI
systems in the mid 70's thats OK with me.
The rest are all diesel or carburated.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:18:04 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I just found out about the deal today, and he's away at college. He took
11
AP classes, though, so he'd be a candidate. He buys lots of books and his
tastes are...eclectic.

"AP" classes?

Advanced Placement. Those are college-level courses you take in high school.
If you get an A, or sometimes a B (depending on the college's requirements)
on a national test after taking the courses, you get college credit for them
and place out of college courses. It saves Dad some money, too.

The NYT article said the free books were going to Advanced Placement
students.

Um, enjoy! titter

Phfft. Some people got no appreciation. d8-)

What, for scratching balls, spitting tobacco goo, and steroids?

What is your mother, a communist? I'll bet she doesn't like hot dogs,
either, right? Very suspicious...

I loved football until they went on strike. I lost interest after
that. (Well, that and the Chargers always losing.)

Football? You mean, 300-pound mutants trying to break each others' knees
while trying to stay out of prison? Oh, there's a great sport. g

Say, Ed. Can you 'splain the price these SnapOn body tools are
fetching on eBay? http://tinyurl.com/33copr thud

'Don't know. I had some good ones 40 years ago and they weren't cheap then.
How does the price compare with the cost of new?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 06:22:36 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:18:04 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

I just found out about the deal today, and he's away at college. He took
11
AP classes, though, so he'd be a candidate. He buys lots of books and his
tastes are...eclectic.

"AP" classes?

Advanced Placement. Those are college-level courses you take in high school.
If you get an A, or sometimes a B (depending on the college's requirements)
on a national test after taking the courses, you get college credit for them
and place out of college courses. It saves Dad some money, too.

The latter is always a good thing.

The NYT article said the free books were going to Advanced Placement
students.

Y'know, I didn't even key on that.

Um, enjoy! titter

Phfft. Some people got no appreciation. d8-)

What, for scratching balls, spitting tobacco goo, and steroids?

What is your mother, a communist? I'll bet she doesn't like hot dogs,
either, right? Very suspicious...

Mom still eats pork, but my sister and I don't after she took that
Biology class at ASU (Tempe, AZ.) The teacher brought in an unopened,
fully-cooked canned ham. They opened it and looked at it under the
microscopes. She saw lifeforms, all the worms coming to the surface of
the ham and wiggling their bodies, and we haven't eaten pork since.
None of us eats the "meat" weiners, pork/chicken/beef byproducts, but
we do still like Foster Farms turkey dogs. I made a couple of FFT dogs
last week with focaccia bread. Very tasty.

I loved football until they went on strike. I lost interest after
that. (Well, that and the Chargers always losing.)

Football? You mean, 300-pound mutants trying to break each others' knees
while trying to stay out of prison? Oh, there's a great sport. g

400-pound. But with perfect spirals of 50 yards and graceful, midair
catches by Jerry Rice, what American could NOT like football?

Say, Ed. Can you 'splain the price these SnapOn body tools are
fetching on eBay? http://tinyurl.com/33copr thud

'Don't know. I had some good ones 40 years ago and they weren't cheap then.
How does the price compare with the cost of new?

$20 for a Chiwanese import set of 7 pieces. $90 for a set from
Eastwood. Hmm, they also have an 8-pc $190 set. Amazing. I guess the
prices aren't all that far out of line after all.

--
Who is John Galt?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:04:28 -0600, lew hartswick

On Sep 15, 4:11 pm, lew hartswick wrote:

Throttle position is simply another measurement that is fed into the
computer to help it decide fuel and timing parameters.

OH! I see it has to do with those "new fangled" cars with computers
in them. I quit working on engines before that revolution started.
...lew...

One example of how the skill set is changing. My Dad knew whether Gee
or Haw was left or right. I don't.

Dan

OK that is still in my vocabulary. I guess I must be of your dads
generation.
gee is droit
haw is gouche
Now what is the opposite of widdershin

Deosil. (Clockwise)

Do I win a prize?

:-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I figure the worms are bonus protein. What kind of worms to turkey dogs
have? Do they use the whole turkey?

I'd think the feathers would make them kind of dry.

I loved football until they went on strike. I lost interest after
that. (Well, that and the Chargers always losing.)

Football? You mean, 300-pound mutants trying to break each others' knees
while trying to stay out of prison? Oh, there's a great sport. g

400-pound. But with perfect spirals of 50 yards and graceful, midair
catches by Jerry Rice, what American could NOT like football?

It's OK, but I'm more into sinking fastballs, two-seamers, and cutters.
Admittedly, I lost interest in baseball decades ago, when the Yankees had
the Billy Martin and George Steinbrenner comedy act, but my son was his
school's ace pitcher and was all-county (and third-team all-state) in high
school. He's trying out for his college team this week. That keeps my
interest up. I picked up my interest in pro ball again in '96, when the
Yankees came out of nowhere to win the Series, and it's stuck with me ever
since.

Say, Ed. Can you 'splain the price these SnapOn body tools are
fetching on eBay? http://tinyurl.com/33copr thud

'Don't know. I had some good ones 40 years ago and they weren't cheap
then.
How does the price compare with the cost of new?

$20 for a Chiwanese import set of 7 pieces. $90 for a set from
Eastwood. Hmm, they also have an 8-pc $190 set. Amazing. I guess the
prices aren't all that far out of line after all.

I bought some good body tools from Sears back in '65, when they made very
good hand tools. They were all forged and the hammer faces were hard in the
middle, softer on the rims, like good hammers are supposed to be. The
dollies were forged, too, and good steel. They cost me a bundle.

Then I bought some cheap Asian tools to fill in my set, and they were (no
kidding) cast iron. One of the hammers broke the whole face off.

So there's a wide range of quality, and quality body tools cost a lot more
than you would think they should.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:58:11 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I bought some good body tools from Sears back in '65, when they made very
good hand tools. They were all forged and the hammer faces were hard in the
middle, softer on the rims, like good hammers are supposed to be. The
dollies were forged, too, and good steel. They cost me a bundle.

Then I bought some cheap Asian tools to fill in my set, and they were (no
kidding) cast iron. One of the hammers broke the whole face off.

So there's a wide range of quality, and quality body tools cost a lot more
than you would think they should.

Loike the old saying oes : "If you want first quality oats you need to
be ready to pay first quality price. Now if you are willing to settle
for oats thats already been through the horse? Well, yes, they do come
a little cheeper!!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:53:10 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
clare at snyder.on.ca quickly quoth:

wrote:

I bought some good body tools from Sears back in '65, when they made very
good hand tools. They were all forged and the hammer faces were hard in the
middle, softer on the rims, like good hammers are supposed to be. The
dollies were forged, too, and good steel. They cost me a bundle.

Then I bought some cheap Asian tools to fill in my set, and they were (no
kidding) cast iron. One of the hammers broke the whole face off.

So there's a wide range of quality, and quality body tools cost a lot more
than you would think they should.

Loike the old saying oes : "If you want first quality oats you need to
be ready to pay first quality price. Now if you are willing to settle
for oats thats already been through the horse? Well, yes, they do come
a little cheeper!!"

Here's the way I heard it when I was a QA inspector:

Quality is like buying oats.
If you want nice, fresh, clean oats, then you must pay a fair price.
However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been
through the horse--That comes a little cheaper!
Anon

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner wrote on Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:43:24
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

[...]

LOL.

I had a bit of a wait while tools were set up, so decided to "fix"
the bandsaw (thrust bearing est screw was snapped off). So I've got it
apart, and am fiddling away, and the supervisor comes over and says "The
only thing I have against you doing this, is you ;left the band saw
plugged in." "Oops, I knew I was forgetting something. And I just
signed up to be on the safety committee."
Almost got the thing fixed .. one of those metastasize "quick
fixes". Put it back, held in place with three bits of shim stock...

pyotr

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "