Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - 25 Skills Every HSMer Should Know: The List?

Thought you might find this discussion of interest.

In regards to metalworking, in your opinion what are the 25 skills
that every HSMer should know?

TMT

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4221635.html

As Glenn Reynolds writes in his new PM column, traditional knowledge
of how to build and fix ordinary things-around the house and in a jam-
might be on the decline. With our lives becoming more driven by
technology, blue-collar labor has been replaced with more white-collar
employment, and teenagers are becoming better at programming Web sites
than swinging hammers.

Here at PM, where we at least try to do everything, we spent weeks
fine-tuning our list of "25 Skills Every Man Should Know," debating
over whether certain items were too basic, too challenging or just too
obscure. You can find a full how-to rundown of each one in the October
issue of Popular Mechanics, which just hit newsstands. But for now,
check out our carefully selected list below, then offer your own
arguments and suggestions in the comments section below, or tell us
how to perform your must-know skill by writing to us here...

The List: How to...

1. Patch a radiator hose
2. Protect your computer
3. Rescue a boater who has capsized
4. Frame a wall
5. Retouch digital photos
6. Back up a trailer
7. Build a campfire
8. Fix a dead outlet
9. Navigate with a map and compass
10. Use a torque wrench
11. Sharpen a knife
12. Perform CPR
13. Fillet a fish
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
15. Get a car unstuck
16. Back up data
17. Paint a room
18. Mix concrete
19. Clean a bolt-action rifle
20. Change oil and filter
21. Hook up an HDTV
22. Bleed brakes
23. Paddle a canoe
24. Fix a bike flat
25. Extend your wireless network

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 14, 12:29 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
The List: How to...

21. Hook up an HDTV don't have one
25. Extend your wireless network don't have one

Otherwise yes.
They missed leaky roofs and faucets.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 14, 12:29 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
The List: How to...

21. Hook up an HDTV don't have one
25. Extend your wireless network don't have one

Otherwise yes.
They missed leaky roofs and faucets.

Jeez, faucets are a big one, too. I have an 80-year-old house. If you don't
know how to fix a faucet here, you're broke in about six months. My bag of
faucet washers is bigger than a family-size bag of M&Ms.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
1. Patch a radiator hose

That is the only thing I not only haven't done, but that I don't know how to
do. Damn.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

and, furthermore, patching a radiator hose on a modern vehicle is pretty
marginal - I have blown a hose in the middle of nowhere and taped it with
duct tape - with the radiator cap off (to keep pressure down) I made it to a
place that could order a hose and not charge me $400 for "installation", but
that kind of patch won't work if you let the system operate normally.

I wonder if that is what they meant by patch?

with curved/molded hoses, you can't even just insert a short length of pipe
in many cases
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
1. Patch a radiator hose

That is the only thing I not only haven't done, but that I don't know how
to do. Damn.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I havent done
1
19 (Never a big rifle family and havent gone through or needed to
bother with the canadian rules for owning a gun)
22 (not rocket science though just havent hit a need to, likely will
be on the list in the spring)

i propose adding

26. Safely carry a Piano, Fridge or similar heavy peice of household
kit
27. Grow a plant
28. Take care of a pet
29. Install a major appliance (i think more washing machines and
dishwashers get changed than walls get framed)

I think 27 and 28 are critical to show about taking care of Life and
not just things

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article om, Brent wrote:
[...]

Speaking of which...
30. Dress a wound
31. Comfort a frightened child
32. Rock a crying baby to sleep
33. Cook a meal from basic ingredients
34. Speak in front of large groups
35. Play a musical instrument - any instrument
36. Open a clogged drain

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In article om, Brent wrote:
[...]

If you're a really bad musician, you can do 35 & 36 at the same time.
;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"
i propose adding

26. Safely carry a Piano, Fridge or similar heavy peice of household
kit
27. Grow a plant
28. Take care of a pet
29. Install a major appliance (i think more washing machines and
dishwashers get changed than walls get framed)

I think 27 and 28 are critical to show about taking care of Life and
not just things

Speaking of which...
30. Dress a wound
31. Comfort a frightened child
32. Rock a crying baby to sleep
33. Cook a meal from basic ingredients
34. Speak in front of large groups
35. Play a musical instrument - any instrument
36. Open a clogged drain

--
Regards,

I would add:
37. change breaker or add electrical circuit (though it's kinda like "fix
dead outlet" it's a enough different)
37. Load OS and software on a computer from scratch
38. prune tree
39. drive safely on freeway (without using cell phone, etc)
40. swim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

I've done most with the exception of #4. Though I can lay brick or
cinder block plum and square.

My addition would be
41. Tow a disabled boat to safe harbor in Class 1 seas without sinking
your own boat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mawdeeb wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

My girlfriend sez, "how about make good friends with someone who CAN do
all those things".

Gotta be the girl thing.

Although I know she can change a tire and oil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:44:54 -0700, Brent
wrote:

I think 27 and 28 are critical to show about taking care of Life and
not just things

Thats what 19 is all about.

Entropy....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I knew that one was coming....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thought you might find this discussion of interest.

In regards to metalworking, in your opinion what are the 25 skills
that every HSMer should know?

The List: How to...

1. Repair one's vehicle
2. Backup and restore one's computer
3. Rescue an ice fisherman that went though.
4. Frame a house
5. Join metals
6. Back up a trailer
7. Build a campfire
8. Perform Electrical work.
9. Navigate with a map and compass
10. Be able to perform wilderness first aid / surgery.
11. Sharpen tools
12. Perform CPR
13. Catch a fish, rabbit or anything edible.
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
15. Get a car unstuck
16. Pour and finish a slab
17. Build a rifle
18. Make black powder
19. Critically think.
20. Maintain one's vehical
21. Heat treat metals
22. Cast metals
23. Machine metals
24. Fix any flat
25. Design jigs and fixtures.

Some are lame. It is getting late for me.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote:
and, furthermore, patching a radiator hose on a modern vehicle is pretty
marginal - I have blown a hose in the middle of nowhere and taped it with
duct tape - with the radiator cap off (to keep pressure down) I made it to
a place that could order a hose and not charge me $400 for "installation",
but that kind of patch won't work if you let the system operate normally.

I wonder if that is what they meant by patch?

Ah, I dunno, but thanks for the tip in any case; never thought to leave the
cap off to keep the pressure from blowing out the temp patch.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 15, 5:36 pm, "Jon Danniken"
Ah, I dunno, but thanks for the tip in any case; never thought to leave the
cap off to keep the pressure from blowing out the temp patch.
Jon

Also plan the route home so you have frequent safe places to stop, so
the coolant doesn't boil and blow out.

There is a type of very sticky, high-temp duct tape that is claimed to
work on radiator hoses. I don't know how well it actually works
because nothing has leaked since I started carrying it.

Maybe that's the answer; be prepared and trouble will look elsewhere.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:36:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jon
Danniken" quickly quoth:

"William Noble" wrote:
and, furthermore, patching a radiator hose on a modern vehicle is pretty
marginal - I have blown a hose in the middle of nowhere and taped it with
duct tape - with the radiator cap off (to keep pressure down) I made it to
a place that could order a hose and not charge me $400 for "installation",
but that kind of patch won't work if you let the system operate normally.

I wonder if that is what they meant by patch?

Ah, I dunno, but thanks for the tip in any case; never thought to leave the
cap off to keep the pressure from blowing out the temp patch.

Aw, c'mon, guys. Aren't you using self-vulcanizing ("-amalgamating" to
you Brits) silicone tape to heal blowouts in radiator hoses yet? Then
you can put the cap back on and let it pressurize without fear.

--
Who is John Galt?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

more top posting---

Actually, Larry - my solution was even simpler - I drive a car that doesn't
have a radiator hose in it, so I can't blow a hose any more.

"William Noble" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:23:47 -0400, Wes wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thought you might find this discussion of interest.

In regards to metalworking, in your opinion what are the 25 skills
that every HSMer should know?

The List: How to...

In regards to metalworking?

1. Be able to draw and read prints, either on paper or in cad.
2. Accurately use appropriate measuring instruments.
3. Know and practice basic shop safety.
4. Drive a forklift.
5. Operate an overhead crane or chain hoist.
6. Change oil.
7. Dillute and add coolant properly.
8. Know and practice proper workholding and fixturing techniques.
9. Identify common metals, and know their properties.
10. Sharpen Drill bits.
11. Grind tool bits.
12. Clean machines and empty scrap.
13. Identify and use the proper tools for the job at hand.
14. Identify and avoid danger zones.
15. Tighten bolts correctly, and remove them without stripping.
16. Troubleshoot basic machine issues.
17. Accurately align machinery.
18. Accurately locate features.
19. Know and use proper lifting techniques.
20. Know how to properly dispose of hazardous chemicals.
21. Combat fatigue.
22. Calibrate measurement tools.
23. Use math, at least to the level of algebra.
24. Load and wrap a skid.
25. General problem solving and literacy.

A guy who can do those things well can do just about anything- whether
he's doing metal work or just about anything else.

More generally:

1. Prepare food, and avoid things that are poisonous.
2. Read and write.
3. Use basic arithmatic.
4. Bathe oneself.
5. Understand the basic principles of economics.
6. Preserve personal freedom.
7. Read an analog clock.
8. Determine the cardinal points of the compass.
9. Follow instructions.
10. Create plans to achieve goals.
11. Use common tools.
12. Find shelter.
13. Make fire.
14. Assess acceptable levels of risk.
15. Defend one's self.
16. Think independantly and critically.
17. Identify material objects and concepts accurately.
18. Distinguish cause and effect.
19. Dress appropriately.
20. Protect valuable things *and* ideals.
21. Measure things accurately.
22. Understand time, and it's linear progression.
23. Understand self-reliance, and its value.
24. Spot a con artist.
25. Understand the simple machines.

I know that doesn't raise the bar very high, but let's face it- there
really aren't that many people any more who can actually lay claim to
having all of these skills, and maybe there never were. Hell, being
able to eat their lunch without drooling on themselves and staying out
of jail seems to be too much for a lot of people. There are a lot of
people around whom I would not trust to make a sandwich, much less
change a tire.

Then again, maybe I'm just too misanthropic for my own good.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:

"William Noble" wrote:
and, furthermore, patching a radiator hose on a modern vehicle is pretty
marginal - I have blown a hose in the middle of nowhere and taped it with
duct tape - with the radiator cap off (to keep pressure down) I made it to
a place that could order a hose and not charge me $400 for "installation",
but that kind of patch won't work if you let the system operate normally.

I wonder if that is what they meant by patch?

Ah, I dunno, but thanks for the tip in any case; never thought to leave the
cap off to keep the pressure from blowing out the temp patch.

Jon

I had a hole develop in the top tube in the radiator on my '73 Chevy
stepvan (292, six cylinder). I cut the slug out of the radiator cap and
filled the overflow tank, then I drove it 1050 miles and only lost a
quart of coolant.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Aw, c'mon, guys. Aren't you using self-vulcanizing ("-amalgamating" to
you Brits) silicone tape to heal blowouts in radiator hoses yet? Then
you can put the cap back on and let it pressurize without fear.

I have used a stainless steel hose clamp over a pinhole leak to make
it to the car parts place, and home with a new hose.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

A good list, to which I'd add...

Know how to find answers in the Machinery's Handbook.
Understand and troubleshoot basic single and 3-phase electrical problems
Understand welding, brazing and silver-soldering and when to use each
Know how to harden, temper and anneal drill rod stock
Know when to use a hand tool instead of a power tool
Know the difference between grease, machine oil and WD40

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

Add to that list:

Know how to use basic hand tools properly and how to take good care of
them. Files, hacksaws, hand drills, chisels, etc.

Have an understanding of feeds and speeds for basic metals normally used
in the shop and know how to look up the ones that you don't know.

Know how to find information that you might need in the shop that you
don't know, ie. Acme thread sizes.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thought you might find this discussion of interest.

In regards to metalworking, in your opinion what are the 25 skills
that every HSMer should know?

The List: How to...

1. Repair one's vehicle

That is what #2 son is for - a top class mechanic, installs
turbo's & builds custom intercoolers for his "boy racer" clients
2. Backup and restore one's computer

Can do
3. Rescue an ice fisherman that went though.

Only ice here is in little cubes from fridge
4. Frame a house

Double brick is better but I spot welded extension frames for
my previous house
5. Join metals

I can do it, have a stick , spot & mig but #s 1 & 2 are much
better than me, anything critical, they do
6. Back up a trailer

Easy, have 3, smallest is hardest as it is 400mm narrower each
side of the Patrol and is off the line by the time it is visible in
the mirrors
7. Build a campfire

Used to be a Scout Leader
8. Perform Electrical work.

can do, but work on mains is illegal here without a ticket, do
radio
9. Navigate with a map and compass

see 7
10. Be able to perform wilderness first aid / surgery.

Have out of date St John's
11. Sharpen tools

Dad taught me when I was 8, damn, that is over 60 years ago
now
12. Perform CPR

See 10
13. Catch a fish, rabbit or anything edible.

Rabbits used to be my pocket money as a boy
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid

Learnt to drive on dirt roads, taught my sons the same way
when they were 10
15. Get a car unstuck

Have winch, will travel
16. Pour and finish a slab

Done that
17. Build a rifle

I suppose I could, but would not vouch for its accuracy
18. Make black powder

Don't all boys do that? Saltpetre, sulphur & charcoal for a
cannon
19. Critically think.

This is the most difficult task VBG
20. Maintain one's vehical Vehicle?

See 1
21. Heat treat metals

Yes
22. Cast metals

next project in brass, locomotive wheels in Sn3.5 then learn
how to plate them
23. Machine metals

have lathe, will make blue chips (again) when workshop built
24. Fix any flat

Not that stupid to try it on a Wabco tyre, can fix my Patrol's
if in the bush otherwise I prefer to let someone else get dirty for
$7, I change tyres just before TWI shows my life is worth more
than a $10 saving, 92000 so far on this set of Desert Duellers, about
10k wear left. My tyre dealer rotates & re-balances every 10k at no
charge which is probably why they have lasted, also no fast takeoffs
25. Design jigs and fixtures.

Regular procedure for woodworking & welding

Some are lame. It is getting late for me.

Sunday evening, nothing worth watching on the idiot box, no
workshop to use yet, finished emails, going to finish reading my
latest Anne McCaffrey book after I send this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thought you might find this discussion of interest.

In regards to metalworking, in your opinion what are the 25 skills
that every HSMer should know?

The List: How to...

Snip
6. Back up a trailer

Easy, have 3, smallest is hardest as it is 400mm narrower each
side of the Patrol and is off the line by the time it is visible in
the mirrors

Egad! You haven't learned the little secret of attaching a "sissy
stick" to a trailer? I thought you Aussies knew /everything/ about
towing trailers, seeing as you allow Road Trains (IMNSHO every one of
them a disaster waiting to happen) over there... _

Get a piece of wood or tubing and attach it to the rear end of the
trailer so it either sticks up high enough to see in the rear-view
mirror, or out to the side (use a spring as the base mount for WHEN
you hit things with it) enough so you can see it in the side mirrors.

Put a few streamers of bright colored flagging tape on the end of
the stick so people walking by don't impale themselves. That makes
backing short wheelbase little trailers a whole lot easier.

Oh, and if the stick starts gyrating or wiggling more than usual
while driving down the road, or it gets tilted to one side, or
obscured in smoke... Pull over and check the tires & bearings.

Take it from someone who puts a 3'x5' (~1M x 1.6M) utility trailer
(with the concrete mix bags on the way out and the trash on the way
back) behind a full-size van two or three times a month.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 06:37:19 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

The List: How to...

Be a housewife:
1. Cook
2. F**k
3. Drive a truck
4. Crank a model A
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:22:20 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Easy, have 3, smallest is hardest as it is 400mm narrower each
side of the Patrol and is off the line by the time it is visible in
the mirrors

Egad! You haven't learned the little secret of attaching a "sissy
stick" to a trailer? I thought you Aussies knew /everything/ about
towing trailers, seeing as you allow Road Trains (IMNSHO every one of
them a disaster waiting to happen) over there...

Made one of those a long time ago. My trailer has 30mm square
tube at the corners which the canopy legs fit in when I use it. I
drop a 1200mm length of 25mm tube in the rear ones and have a 60 x
10mm wood strip the width of the trailer attached at visible height
with reflectors at the edges, certainly makes life easier, but is
still not as good as lining up the side of the trailer.

Road trains are restricted to certain routes, generally in the north
- semi's with 2 or 3 extra trailers are a ******* to pass for anyone
without a 2 way radio, easy when you tell the driver you are behind,
he will say when it is safe to pass. On the east-west Eyre Highway
across the Nullarbor it is usually a semi + 1 trailer. I remember
going east some years ago when I was passed by 2 semis, nose to tail,
at about 140 (85 mph ) so I speeded up and tucked in at a safe
distance and let them pull me in their slipstream for about 200 km,
saved a lot of fuel that way. I usually tow a caravan when going
east, so tell any passing trucks if it is clear ahead so they need not
slow down. Have to drive about 1000 miles just to get out of Western
Oz - about from San Diego to El Paso