Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Starrett and Global Series

That is our government at work. The government lost, Starrett lost.
The only ones who came out of it happy were - can't you guess? - the
lawyers. Wonderful, no?

That's the risk any company takes, foreign or domestic, when it bids on US
Government contracts (and I'm assuming the coordinate MM was for a
government contract.) The contract language for government bids is typically
very disadvantageous for the vendor (unless your Halliburton.) Sell at your
own risk when dealing with G'ment bids, otherwise keep your sales in the
private sector.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:23:20 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:
snip
Please furnish the public domain information that you use to label this
business as having cooked books.

snip

Simple Patriot Act logic. If they did not have something to
hide, they wouldn't be moving off shore to keep them closed.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
snip
Please furnish the public domain information that you use to label this
business as having cooked books.

snip

Simple Patriot Act logic. If they did not have something to
hide, they wouldn't be moving off shore to keep them closed.

Never you mind about the complex tax code. If someone refuses to operate
under a rigged system like the US tax code, they MUST be up to no good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Tony" wrote:
*Any* tax is obviously an additional cost of doing business. Sorry you're
having such a hard time figuring that out.

Capital gains tax has no effect, and you can't provide any examples of how
it would to support your original statement. All of your responses just run
off on tangents.

You mean that if a company pays capital gains tax, it does *not* affect their
cost of doing business? ROTFLMAO!

Back to Economics 101 for you.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dear H&R Blockhead,

I think it would be safe to say Starrett hasn't paid a dime in Capital gains
tax. And again, you can't provide one specific instance where cap gains
affects manufacturing.

You mean that if a company pays capital gains tax, it does *not* affect
their
cost of doing business? ROTFLMAO!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How is it a bad assumption? The lawsuit against Starrett resulted from a
claim under the False Claims act. Apparently Starrett was a federal
contractor, or subcontractor.

The False Claims Act (31 U.S.C. § 3729 et seq., also called the "Lincoln
Law") is an American federal law which allows people, whether affiliated
with the government or not, to file actions against federal contractors
claiming fraud against the government. The act of filing such actions is
informally called "whistleblowing". Persons filing under the Act stand to
receive a portion (usually about 15-25 percent) of any recovered damages.

The Act provides a legal tool to counteract fraudulent billings turned in to
the Federal Government. Claims under the law have been filed by persons with
insider knowledge of false claims which have typically involved health care,
military, or other government spending programs.

And this article gives further details:

http://www.telegram.com/static/starr...v3whistle.html

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 17, 8:17 pm, "Tony" wrote:
That is our government at work. The government lost, Starrett lost.
The only ones who came out of it happy were - can't you guess? - the
lawyers. Wonderful, no?

That's the risk any company takes, foreign or domestic, when it bids on
US
Government contracts (and I'm assuming the coordinate MM was for a
government contract.) The contract language for government bids is
typically
very disadvantageous for the vendor (unless your Halliburton.) Sell at
your
own risk when dealing with G'ment bids, otherwise keep your sales in the
private sector.

Bad assumption.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.secinfo.com/d2rF3.11e.d.htm

THE L.S. STARRETT COMPANY

121 Crescent Street

Athol, Massachusetts 01331

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Company notes that the Government itself, notwithstanding two
years of investigation, only intervened in this action for the purposes
of settlement. In addition, the United States Attorney for the District
of Massachusetts in early August informed the Company in writing that
based on the facts known to the Office of the United States Attorney,
the United States Attorney's Office does not intend to seek criminal
charges against the Company or its CMM Division in connection with
allegations arising out of, or relating to, the manufacture, sale or
service of CMMs.

So where does it show that Starrett committed a crime?

On Sep 17, 8:17 pm, "Tony" wrote:
That is our government at work. The government lost, Starrett lost.
The only ones who came out of it happy were - can't you guess? - the
lawyers. Wonderful, no?

That's the risk any company takes, foreign or domestic, when it bids
on US
Government contracts (and I'm assuming the coordinate MM was for a
government contract.) The contract language for government bids is
typically
very disadvantageous for the vendor (unless your Halliburton.) Sell
at your
own risk when dealing with G'ment bids, otherwise keep your sales in the
private sector.

Bad assumption.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mmm, couldn't owners of the CMMs in question sue Starrett for a
defective product if Starrett wouldn't do them right? I've seen a post
where the writer said Starrett did work things out. Having said that,
there doesn't seem to be a heckuva lot on the CMMs. Didn't Starrett dump
their CMMs altogether?

Tony wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As this was involved with G'ment contract provisions, the "whistleblower"
law applied. The links I posted provide further details.

I was at the Grumman auction on Bethpage Long Island a few years ago, they
were auctioning off the equipment used in F14 production. (an interesting
visit, and sad to see at the same time.) Well I do remember the large
Mitutoyo CMM, didn't see any Starrett CMM there.

Tony wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tony" wrote in message
Not if a company doesn't have to pay it.

"Companies" never pay taxes. Consumers of their products or services do.
Any cost of doing business is factored in the price of their end product.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:00:13 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

http://www.starrett.com/pages/441_st...lobal_s eries
"Starrett Global Series
While the Starrett brand is synonymous with “American Made”, we have
manufactured products worldwide for nearly 50 years. These products are
available in the U.S.A. and identified as “Global Series”. Regardless of
country of origin, the Starrett brand remains your assurance of
unmatched precision, quality and value."

Mmm. I have nothing against Starrett or anyone else making tools in a
foreign market to service that market. But the idea of Foreign made
tools coming back to the US makes me pause. If they are Starrett
quality, then the folks with the Wal-Mart philosophy of cheaper = better
will be pleased. But I think that it's a sign that US business is being
held back by government. Think for a moment - a US plant, US technology,
that is local to the market (aka no transpacific shipping) has to import
tools made in a third country to compete in the market.

My Starrett 0-1" micrometer manufactured around 30 years ago is still
as good as the day it was made, apart from a (free) repair to the
spindle lock around 25 years ago it's travelled just 100 miles south
of its place of manufacture..... Scotland, some 3000 miles east of the
USA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was talking to a Canadian this week, and he told me that china wants
70% of a product sold in china to have chinese content. If a product is
less than 70% chinese, then tariffs are slapped on it. As I said,
Starrett tools made for the chinese market are fine, but when those
chinese Starretts come back here, I have issues with that.

This fantasy of the huge chinese market still draws moths to the flame.
Could someone be so kind as to point out how non-chinese manufacturers
in china are profiting?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 14, 4:25 am, Wes wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Mmm. I have nothing against Starrett or anyone else making tools in a
foreign market to service that market. But the idea of Foreign made
tools coming back to the US makes me pause. If they are Starrett
quality, then the folks with the Wal-Mart philosophy of cheaper = better
will be pleased.

I don't see your problem. Starrett is clearly indicating that the Global
line of products are not USA made. I am fairly confident that Starrett does
not want to devalue their reputation on US made tools which is something
that they have worked hard and long to achieve.

They figure that a lot of HSM types or guys starting out are likely to trust
an offshore product that Starrett has a connection with.

They are just trying to grab some sales that they are currently loosing out
on.

Wes

With the Slide of the US dollar you have no idea how much more
appealing shopping direct in USD looks and how much more Affordable
midrange american tools have become to the rest of the world. If i'm
making a MAJOR purchase right now i'd be nuts to do so in canada. The
US dollar being on the slide it is has basically added 25% to the
bottom line of a US manufacturer exporting tools. Foreign customers
can afford to buy more of the US made tools compared to any given
country.

I try whenever possible and reasonable to buy "G7 Made" or at least EU
member made tools and equipment so that my purchases are done in
nations where quality control and employee conditions are not
negotiable.

there are products in my toolbox made in china and india ESPECIALLY
portable power tools it seems. I cannot even find the top of the line
tools that are not made in china now. but whenever reasonable i would
RATHER buy from an industrialized nation

MADE IN THE USA midrange tooling and measuring have now entered my
budget when i Import it myself (A la Enco, MSC)

I hope American Manufacturing has NOT been decimated to the point
where it cannot profit from the weak dollar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:17:26 -0700, Brent
wrote:
snip
I hope American Manufacturing has NOT been decimated to the point
where it cannot profit from the weak dollar.

snip
And with this observation you lay bare the entire fallacy about
trade adjustment.

In many cases manufacturing is as much mind-set and attitude as
it is materials and machines, and the people with the required
mind-set and attitudes have long been dispersed.

In the US the equipment/tools/tooling was sold for scrap and the
facilities were sold for redevelopment as yuppie condos. The
workers, including the lead men and foremen, with the required
skills and knowledge to actually get parts out the door have long
since gotten other jobs, and are not about to trust the suits
again. The infrastructure of second & third tier suppliers, and
support such as the local mill & metal supply houses no longer
exists.

Even more critical, the industrial environment has been poisoned,
so that the new younger desirable employees with drive, ambition,
smarts, etc. will take industrial employment only as a temporary
and last resort. Much of this is based on their first hand
observation as they saw parents and relatives discarded by their
employers after 10 -- 20 or more years, and the advise and
counsel of the older generation who took it in the shorts.

Where new manufacturing has been successfully established in
America, it has not generally been American firms, but Japanese,
Korean, and German firms, leading to my observation that the
Korean, Japanese, and German companies/executives are more
ethical [or at least perceived as more ethical] than their
American counterparts.

This has ominous implications.

When a national company does well, the profits are reinvested or
go to the owners/stock holders. If this is an American company,
the profits are reinvested in America and American stockholders
rewarded. If it is a Korean, etc. company, the profits are
reinvested in Korea and the Korean stockholders are rewarded.

In the case of transnational corporations, the profits simply
vanish, no taxes are paid, and no investments are made, thus
while temporary economic activity may be generated in the host
country, no permanent improvement results, and the transnational
will ship the manufacturing operations out to an even lower wage
area as soon as the opportunity arises.

Welcome to the new flat world.
for explication of this statement click on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_is_Flat
http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/worldisflat.htm
http://www.amazon.com/World-Flat-Upd.../dp/0374292795

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:58:06 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

This fantasy of the huge chinese market still draws moths to the flame.
Could someone be so kind as to point out how non-chinese manufacturers
in china are profiting?

============
You need to define your terms.

Some non-chinese manufacturing companies could be [and probably
are] taking it in the shorts, but the owners and executives of
these same companies are getting rich.

In the short term, establishment of manufacturing facilities for
high labor content commodity items is a gold mine for the
owners/operators, second only the the profit potential of the
star trek replicator technology, and as Keynes observed "in the
long run we are all dead anyhow."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This fantasy of the huge chinese market still draws moths to the flame.
Could someone be so kind as to point out how non-chinese manufacturers
in china are profiting?

============
You need to define your terms.

Some non-chinese manufacturing companies could be [and probably
are] taking it in the shorts, but the owners and executives of
these same companies are getting rich.

In the short term, establishment of manufacturing facilities for
high labor content commodity items is a gold mine for the
owners/operators, second only the the profit potential of the
star trek replicator technology, and as Keynes observed "in the
long run we are all dead anyhow."

Please give us some of the crumbs of knowledge that fall off your feast
table, where owners and executives are raking it in. I don't deal in
emotions, but (hopefully) facts.

Traders have been waiting for centuries for the big chinese market to
make them rich. Other than the opium wars, I just don't see foreign
trade in china as being all that profitable.

I do NOT subscribe to the idea that companies are agents of social
change, but are dedicated to earning a return on the capital invested in
them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

=============
General Motors for one
see

Rolls Royce [now a german company]
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...214_778537.htm

Swiss watches
http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1002727893

Scotch whisky
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3954813.stm

cnc machine tools
http://www.allbusiness.com/manufactu...4503999-1.html

robots
http://www.fanuc.co.jp/en/ir/goal.html

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

General Motors for one
see

General Motors Corp. plans to invest $3 billion in China in 2004-07 in
hopes it will drive a revival for the company, which is cutting
production and closing factories in its home North American market.

Rolls Royce [now a german company]
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...214_778537.htm

OK, but the leader of North Korea has, what, 60 some luxury cars? Where
the well to do can buy any damn thing, whatever the price, its no wonder.

Swiss watches
http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1002727893

Hmm, Rolex sells watches to the Chinese.

Scotch whisky
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3954813.stm

Another shared taste with the North Korean leader?

cnc machine tools
http://www.allbusiness.com/manufactu...4503999-1.html

The new company will have $1.12-million in capital, with equal
ownership for the two parent companies. It will be located at Fair
Friend's existing Chinese subsidiary, which is already turning out some
1,300 machine tools annually. By comparison, the 20-employee joint
venture is slated to assemble 120 NC lathes annually, using Takamatsu's
technology and spindles and other key parts that Takematsu will supply
from Japan. First-year sales are projected at $7-million.

Meanwhile, Okuma Corp. (Oguchi, Aichi Prefecture, Japan) expects its
sales to users in China would total $55-million in the current fiscal
year which ends in March. In three years, the volume could reach the
magic number of 10-billion yen ($91-million). The figures include
low-end vertical-spindle machining centers and lathe sold by Okuma
Machinery (Shanghai) Co., founded in 2001. Its products are assembled by
BYJC-Okuma (Beijing) Machine Tool Co., a 2002 joint venture between
Okuma and Beijing No. 1 Machine Tool Plant (BYJC).

robots
http://www.fanuc.co.jp/en/ir/goal.html

Other than luxury goods for the well to do, it seems china will build a
lot of the machinery it needs in china. So other than Rolexes, scotch,
and Rolls Royce cars, where is this incomparably huge market of 1
billion people?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:38:10 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

[...]

=========
I don't play "yes, but"