Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport and location of VFD

Right now, the VFD on my Bridgeport is located on a self styled "arm"
that pivots around the point where the lifting eye should be bolted,
and is on the right to the mill.

I like this location a lot, HOWEVER, I have a DRO that I plan on
installing shortly, and that location really belongs to the DRO.

So, this leaves a question, where to relocate the VFD. Where is your
VFD mounted (question for Bridgeport owners). I am stil deciding on
whether to mount separate cnotrols or use ones ont he drive, etc.

PS, I also have a braking resistor that I want to install, which is
very large. I think that I will install it far from the VFD in some
inconspicuous location on the mill. It has its own heatsink already.

The resistor is pictured here

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

Right now, the VFD on my Bridgeport is located on a self styled "arm"
that pivots around the point where the lifting eye should be bolted,
and is on the right to the mill.

I like this location a lot, HOWEVER, I have a DRO that I plan on
installing shortly, and that location really belongs to the DRO.

So, this leaves a question, where to relocate the VFD. Where is your
VFD mounted (question for Bridgeport owners). I am stil deciding on
whether to mount separate cnotrols or use ones ont he drive, etc.

PS, I also have a braking resistor that I want to install, which is
very large. I think that I will install it far from the VFD in some
inconspicuous location on the mill. It has its own heatsink already.

The resistor is pictured here

Install the VFD on the back of the mill base, along with your braking
resistor. Make a small control box with your forward, reverse and stop
buttons and speed knob to mount at the bottom of the DRO panel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:36:01 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus32529 wrote:

[...]

Pete, thanks... I like the idea of mounting controls there... I do,
however, want to see the screen of the VFD, it is very informative.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

[...]

The VFD doesn't have a removable control panel I take it? I've seen some
where the control panel pops right off and can be extended to a
convenient location. If you want to be able to se the display perhaps
still mount it at the back, but up on a stalk facing forward so you can
see the display when you want, but still remote the controls up front.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

Install the VFD on the back of the mill base, along with your braking
resistor. Make a small control box with your forward, reverse and stop
buttons and speed knob to mount at the bottom of the DRO panel.

Pete, thanks... I like the idea of mounting controls there... I do,
however, want to see the screen of the VFD, it is very informative.

Here's what works for me...
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/MillVFD.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/LatheVFD.JPG

Those older Mitsubishis are able to display 3 independent parameters,
so I wanted to keep them in view. The speed pot on the lathe is
mounted on the drive; the mill's is in the yellow pushbutton enclosure
along with the FWD-STOP-REV buttons.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:30:34 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Pete, thanks... I like the idea of mounting controls there... I do,
however, want to see the screen of the VFD, it is very informative.

The VFD doesn't have a removable control panel I take it?

That's right.

I've seen some where the control panel pops right off and can be
extended to a convenient location. If you want to be able to se the
display perhaps still mount it at the back, but up on a stalk facing
forward so you can see the display when you want, but still remote
the controls up front.

I think that that is what I will do. Thank you Pete.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

Install the VFD on the back of the mill base, along with your braking
resistor. Make a small control box with your forward, reverse and stop
buttons and speed knob to mount at the bottom of the DRO panel.

Pete, thanks... I like the idea of mounting controls there... I do,
however, want to see the screen of the VFD, it is very informative.

Here's what works for me...
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/MillVFD.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/LatheVFD.JPG

Those older Mitsubishis are able to display 3 independent parameters,
so I wanted to keep them in view. The speed pot on the lathe is
mounted on the drive; the mill's is in the yellow pushbutton enclosure
along with the FWD-STOP-REV buttons.

Ned, very nice. I think that I will do something similar, esp. since
my VFD is a lot smaller in size.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

Install the VFD on the back of the mill base, along with your braking
resistor. Make a small control box with your forward, reverse and stop
buttons and speed knob to mount at the bottom of the DRO panel.

Pete, thanks... I like the idea of mounting controls there... I do,
however, want to see the screen of the VFD, it is very informative.

Here's what works for me...
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/MillVFD.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/LatheVFD.JPG

Those older Mitsubishis are able to display 3 independent parameters,
so I wanted to keep them in view. The speed pot on the lathe is
mounted on the drive; the mill's is in the yellow pushbutton enclosure
along with the FWD-STOP-REV buttons.

--
Ned Simmons

Interesting handle on that mill vise...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:08:23 -0500, Ignoramus32529
wrote:

Right now, the VFD on my Bridgeport is located on a self styled "arm"
that pivots around the point where the lifting eye should be bolted,
and is on the right to the mill.

I like this location a lot, HOWEVER, I have a DRO that I plan on
installing shortly, and that location really belongs to the DRO.

So, this leaves a question, where to relocate the VFD. Where is your
VFD mounted (question for Bridgeport owners). I am stil deciding on
whether to mount separate cnotrols or use ones ont he drive, etc.

PS, I also have a braking resistor that I want to install, which is
very large. I think that I will install it far from the VFD in some
inconspicuous location on the mill. It has its own heatsink already.

The resistor is pictured here

Stick it all on the backside of the mill. Cleaner neater area, not all
that subject to chips and spray and bring the f/r/stop and speed pot
around to the front on a pendant. Simple plastic or metal box works
find for the pendant.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:49:48 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/MillVFD.JPG

Interesting handle on that mill vise...

Werks gud as long as you remember not to stick your index finger thru
the spokes far enough to catch on the vise when spinning the handle.
One or two times was enough for the lesson to sink in. The rim is
apparently some sort of sealing ring for a high pressure pipe flange,
the hub is made from a 3/4" deep socket.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 13, 11:35 am, Ignoramus32529 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32529.invalid wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:30:34 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Pete, thanks... I like the idea of mounting controls there... I do,
however, want to see the screen of the VFD, it is very informative.

The VFD doesn't have a removable control panel I take it?

That's right.

I've seen some where the control panel pops right off and can be
extended to a convenient location. If you want to be able to se the
display perhaps still mount it at the back, but up on a stalk facing
forward so you can see the display when you want, but still remote
the controls up front.

I think that that is what I will do. Thank you Pete.

Ig woul it be possible to put the DRO AND the VFD on the arm?

VFD below the arm DRO above?

I'm soon to face the EXACT same question on my index mill

it requires three phase and i'll be giving it a VFD but i'm going to
hunt to a DRO to let my machine do mixed measurements. (I own an
imperial mill in a metrified nation)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent, I may mount it on the arm, I will see how stiff the arm is. I
may place the vfd to the left of the DRO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

32529.invalid wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:30:34 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Pete, thanks... I like the idea of mounting controls there... I do,
however, want to see the screen of the VFD, it is very informative.

The VFD doesn't have a removable control panel I take it?

That's right.

I've seen some where the control panel pops right off and can be
extended to a convenient location. If you want to be able to se the
display perhaps still mount it at the back, but up on a stalk facing
forward so you can see the display when you want, but still remote
the controls up front.

I think that that is what I will do. Thank you Pete.

Ig woul it be possible to put the DRO AND the VFD on the arm?

Yes, I think so -- though if the arm is not stiff enough, I may not be
able to press VFD buttons one handed.

I think that I will remove the drive, install the DRO and then will
consider where to place the VFD.

VFD below the arm DRO above?

I'm soon to face the EXACT same question on my index mill

it requires three phase and i'll be giving it a VFD but i'm going to
hunt to a DRO to let my machine do mixed measurements. (I own an
imperial mill in a metrified nation)

The good news here is that you live in a metric nation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:
Right now, the VFD on my Bridgeport is located on a self styled "arm"
that pivots around the point where the lifting eye should be bolted,
and is on the right to the mill.

I like this location a lot, HOWEVER, I have a DRO that I plan on
installing shortly, and that location really belongs to the DRO.

So, this leaves a question, where to relocate the VFD. Where is your
VFD mounted (question for Bridgeport owners). I am stil deciding on
whether to mount separate cnotrols or use ones ont he drive, etc.

Mine is mounted on the wall behind the machine.
PS, I also have a braking resistor that I want to install, which is
very large. I think that I will install it far from the VFD in some
inconspicuous location on the mill. It has its own heatsink already.

The resistor is pictured here

Pretty impressive. I used a 100 W vitreous ceramic resistor
mounted vertically next to the VFD. If it gets hot, the heat
goes up and doesn't bother the VFD.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:
PS, I also have a braking resistor that I want to install, which is
very large. I think that I will install it far from the VFD in some
inconspicuous location on the mill. It has its own heatsink already.

The resistor is pictured here

Oh oh, that is a 100 Ohm braking resistor! On a 240 V VFD, the
DC link is 340 VDC, so the current would only be 3.4 A This may
not be enough to drain energy out of a larger motor. It would
probably be fine for a 1 Hp mill, but not good enough for a 3
Hp, for instance. I am using a 40 Ohm resistor on mine, with 1
Hp motor and drive. Even that is not enough when stopping my
high speed spindle, which has a lot more momentum at 24,000 RPM,
and the VFD will get an over-voltage trip when the resistor gets
hot.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:01:44 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus32529 wrote:
PS, I also have a braking resistor that I want to install, which is
very large. I think that I will install it far from the VFD in some
inconspicuous location on the mill. It has its own heatsink already.

The resistor is pictured here

Oh oh, that is a 100 Ohm braking resistor! On a 240 V VFD, the
DC link is 340 VDC, so the current would only be 3.4 A This may
not be enough to drain energy out of a larger motor. It would
probably be fine for a 1 Hp mill, but not good enough for a 3
Hp, for instance. I am using a 40 Ohm resistor on mine, with 1
Hp motor and drive. Even that is not enough when stopping my
high speed spindle, which has a lot more momentum at 24,000 RPM,
and the VFD will get an over-voltage trip when the resistor gets
hot.

Resistance should be mateched to the drive. My drive specifies 80-200
ohm resistor, IIRC. I found some junk brackets and may try to re-mount
the drvie today.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

Right now, the VFD on my Bridgeport is located on a self styled "arm"
that pivots around the point where the lifting eye should be bolted,
and is on the right to the mill.

Keep it out of the path of chips if it has vent holes. Distance in a
typical garage should not be that much of an issue but closer is generally
better.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus32529 wrote:

Right now, the VFD on my Bridgeport is located on a self styled "arm"
that pivots around the point where the lifting eye should be bolted,
and is on the right to the mill.

Keep it out of the path of chips if it has vent holes. Distance in a
typical garage should not be that much of an issue but closer is generally
better.

Yes, close and high. It's amazing how far a mill can throw chips.

I have my VFD on an aluminum plate screwed to the wall next to and
behind the mill, with a control pendant from the VFD to a table next to
the mill. The aluminum plate is required by the VFD maker, and is a
good idea.

The VFD is 5.5 feet from the floor, and the main power switch is 6 feet
from the floor. The power switch is high to keep it out of reach of
stray children.

If the wires from VFD to mill are less than 10 or 20 feet long, no
problem is likely.

Joe Gwinn

Hob location Chris J Dixon UK diy 6 April 25th 07 11:22 AM
PRV location? Mathew Newton UK diy 4 May 20th 06 08:25 PM
Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location [email protected] UK diy 7 June 9th 05 10:44 PM
Location ?? Matty Woodturning 5 November 2nd 04 02:24 AM
amp location L. Kotney Electronics Repair 2 September 4th 04 06:01 AM