Old September 13th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lapping Anodized Aluminum

"Doug White" wrote in message
I need to lap the ID of an aluminum piece out about half a thousandth.
It is heavily annodized, and has a matte, frosted finish. I think the
reason it is undersized is that the annodization built up more than
expected.

I have an expanding brass cylinder lap that fits fine, but I'm wondering
what sort of abrasive I should try. Given that annodizing itself is very
hard, I don't know if normal compounds will touch it. I'm also not sure
how fine I should start with. This is a one-off, so I don't want to have
to go out & buy several grades of diamond paste. I have a "sample" kit
of Clover lapping compounds, which includes silicon carbide, and possibly
aluminum oxide.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Doug White

Silicon carbide is far harder than aluminum oxide and will easily remove the
amount you desire.

If it was up to me, I'd use a Sunnen hone with a fine silicon carbide
stone-----or diamond if I had it available.

Harold

Old September 14th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
I need to lap the ID of an aluminum piece out about half a thousandth.
It is heavily annodized, and has a matte, frosted finish. I think the
reason it is undersized is that the annodization built up more than
expected.

I have an expanding brass cylinder lap that fits fine, but I'm wondering
what sort of abrasive I should try. Given that annodizing itself is very
hard, I don't know if normal compounds will touch it. I'm also not sure
how fine I should start with. This is a one-off, so I don't want to have
to go out & buy several grades of diamond paste. I have a "sample" kit
of Clover lapping compounds, which includes silicon carbide, and possibly
aluminum oxide.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Doug White

A paste of brown tripoli, and oil.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Old September 14th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 13, 7:38 pm, Gwhite wrote:

Any idea what grit I should be trying? I can't find the Clover kit
for sale anymore, and I don't remember what grits it has available in
Si Carbide. I'll dig it out when I get home today and see.

Thanks!

Doug White

You should be able to find valve grinding compound at an auto parts
store. They usually just have coarse and fine grades for grinding
valves. I would try the fine first.

Dan