Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What grease for a ball bearing watchmakers lathe headstock...?

Hi.

(x-posted from alt.horology as not response from the good folks
there....)

I have a headstock from a 8mm WW pattern watchmakers lathe (don't know
the make -
that's another story....) which has a pair of preloaded ball-bearings
at
each end - these were in a rather poor state when I bought it, and
I've striped it down, and bought replacement bearings of the
appropriate type to refit (not cheap, good bearings...! )

I'm not too sure what type of grease should be used though - the
headstock has no oil caps, and was packed with (rather filthy....)
grease when I got it, so I'm assuming that grease is the way to go.

Should I be on the look-out for anything special in the type of grease
I use ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Youra.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:04:19 -0000, Youra wrote:

I'm not too sure what type of grease should be used though - the
headstock has no oil caps, and was packed with (rather filthy....)
grease when I got it, so I'm assuming that grease is the way to go.

Should I be on the look-out for anything special in the type of grease
I use ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Youra.

I would use any modern lithium based grease if the bearings aren't already
pre-greased. You aren't looking at high temperatures or water contamination
and the typical modern lithium greases are much better than those available
when the lathe was made. Don't over pack the bearings.. one third of the empty
space is normal IIRC. It's your call as to when to re-examine the bearings
with a view to cleaning and re-greasing, but I would think that 500 hours of
running would be reasonable :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM