Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default status of new workshop

Here is my present workshop status, in case anyone is interested. I
posted when I started and I'm only a week from putting up the
building, should be erecting the building on the 15th and 16th.;
Concrete will be put on the ground at 0'dark thirty in the morning
(04:30). I will update the web page again as soon as I can.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 04:54:01 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

Here is my present workshop status, in case anyone is interested. I
posted when I started and I'm only a week from putting up the
building, should be erecting the building on the 15th and 16th.;
Concrete will be put on the ground at 0'dark thirty in the morning
(04:30). I will update the web page again as soon as I can.

You'll be pouring this week and erecting on October 15-16? Congrats.

I finally cut a downpayment check on a new Toyota Tundra yesterday. It
won't be built until December. I guess that's my metal xmas present to
myself.

--
The only place you will be accepted is the place you make for yourself.
-- Holly Lisle, Fire In The Mist, 1992
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 11, 6:16 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 04:54:01 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

Here is my present workshop status, in case anyone is interested. I
posted when I started and I'm only a week from putting up the
building, should be erecting the building on the 15th and 16th.;
Concrete will be put on the ground at 0'dark thirty in the morning
(04:30). I will update the web page again as soon as I can.

You'll be pouring this week and erecting on October 15-16? Congrats.

I finally cut a downpayment check on a new Toyota Tundra yesterday. It
won't be built until December. I guess that's my metal xmas present to
myself.

--
The only place you will be accepted is the place you make for yourself.
-- Holly Lisle, Fire In The Mist, 1992

Concrete is on the ground and being finished right now! I will erect
the building this weekend, Sept. 15th.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is my present workshop status, in case anyone is interested. I
posted when I started and I'm only a week from putting up the
building, should be erecting the building on the 15th and 16th.;
Concrete will be put on the ground at 0'dark thirty in the morning
(04:30). I will update the web page again as soon as I can.

Mike

I'd make some comment, but my envy has me immobilized right now.

I wish you luck on all stages of construction. Stay close to it, and even
if you don't know what the guys are doing, they will do a better job if they
know the owner is standing there. It's always good to put both hands on
your hips every once in a while and gaze at the work, hold a nine iron
vertically between two fingertips as if checking an imaginary line, and that
thumb and forefinger massage of the chin will make a clueless newbie look
like a construction super to most average workmen. Leave them alone to do
their work, and if you do have a problem, go to the supervisor ONLY.

Now, what do I do about this envy?

Looks like mine is still months out unless those darn Lotto people can pick
the right numbers.

Six numbers.

How hard can it be?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:55:28 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

On Sep 11, 6:16 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 04:54:01 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

Here is my present workshop status, in case anyone is interested. I
posted when I started and I'm only a week from putting up the
building, should be erecting the building on the 15th and 16th.;
Concrete will be put on the ground at 0'dark thirty in the morning
(04:30). I will update the web page again as soon as I can.

You'll be pouring this week and erecting on October 15-16? Congrats.

Concrete is on the ground and being finished right now! I will erect
the building this weekend, Sept. 15th.

Condolences. Didn't the concrete contractor tell you that if it
doesn't cure for a month, it'll crumble and you'll be without a shop?

--
The only place you will be accepted is the place you make for yourself.
-- Holly Lisle, Fire In The Mist, 1992
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:47:54 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"xmradio" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message

I finally cut a downpayment check on a new Toyota
Tundra yesterday. It
won't be built until December. I guess that's my
metal xmas present to
myself.

show off.....

g I figured that the rust and primer on my 17 y/o truck were
scaring off the wealthier clients, so I'm going into hock to save 'em.

--
The only place you will be accepted is the place you make for yourself.
-- Holly Lisle, Fire In The Mist, 1992
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:55:28 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

Concrete is on the ground and being finished right now! I will erect
the building this weekend, Sept. 15th.

Condolences. Didn't the concrete contractor tell you that if it
doesn't cure for a month, it'll crumble and you'll be without a shop?

Even for high-early strength mix (which I somewhat doubt it is) you want
at least 7 days of good curing. Green (fresh) concrete is fragile as all
get-out, and gets stronger with age and wet. 28 days at 70 F with
sufficient water at all times is the "standard design strength". 4 days
is silly. If it rains, leave it alone, if it doesn't rain, put a
sprinkler on it, and leave the damn thing to itself for a few weeks,
minimum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Concrete is on the ground and being finished right now! I will erect
the building this weekend, Sept. 15th.

I would not touch the concrete for a month. But that's just me.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:24:42 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:55:28 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

Concrete is on the ground and being finished right now! I will erect
the building this weekend, Sept. 15th.

Condolences. Didn't the concrete contractor tell you that if it
doesn't cure for a month, it'll crumble and you'll be without a shop?

Even for high-early strength mix (which I somewhat doubt it is) you want
at least 7 days of good curing. Green (fresh) concrete is fragile as all
get-out, and gets stronger with age and wet. 28 days at 70 F with
sufficient water at all times is the "standard design strength". 4 days
is silly. If it rains, leave it alone, if it doesn't rain, put a
sprinkler on it, and leave the damn thing to itself for a few weeks,
minimum.

and be sure to have them add the fibers to the mix

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 11, 8:56 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:24:42 GMT, Ecnerwal

wrote:
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:55:28 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

Concrete is on the ground and being finished right now! I will erect
the building this weekend, Sept. 15th.

Condolences. Didn't the concrete contractor tell you that if it
doesn't cure for a month, it'll crumble and you'll be without a shop?

Even for high-early strength mix (which I somewhat doubt it is) you want
at least 7 days of good curing. Green (fresh) concrete is fragile as all
get-out, and gets stronger with age and wet. 28 days at 70 F with
sufficient water at all times is the "standard design strength". 4 days
is silly. If it rains, leave it alone, if it doesn't rain, put a
sprinkler on it, and leave the damn thing to itself for a few weeks,
minimum.

and be sure to have them add the fibers to the mix

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

I will never pour concrete without fiber! That is a given; The
concrete is 3500 psi w/fiber. I didn't see the link show up so if
anybody is interested here it is again.

http://home.comcast.net/~mcrump1/index.htm

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 05:05:23 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

On Sep 11, 8:56 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:24:42 GMT, Ecnerwal

wrote:
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Mike, the index page, the links on the bottom of that page aren't
hot and your counter code is showing.

I hope the pumper guy cleans up his mess. A bigass lump of concrete
like that would be hard to work around. He shouldn't have let it
harden on him in the pipe, huh? Well, either that or the concrete
truck guy added a bag of fibers and didn't mix them in well, resulting
in a lump. The pumper could see that during his disassembly. I heard
lots of horror stories from a pumper friend a couple decades ago.

G'luck!

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 04:54:01 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, mike
quickly quoth:

Concrete is on the ground and being finished right now! I will erect
the building this weekend, Sept. 15th.

So, Mike, did your building fall down or did you wait until the
concrete hardened suitably? Give us a status update and more pics, eh?