Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair / restore silverplated items on the cheap...

I have an older silverplated dresser set (tray, covered bowl) that I
picked up cheap ($10) at a junk shop. At some point in its life it was
aggressively cleaned with something abrasive that wore off most of the
silverplating and left myriad small scratches. It's still rather
pretty and I'd like to fix it up a bit, so:

1. What can I use to sand down the scratches? They are quite visible
but not deep enough to feel; the base is brass or some such. I've
heard steel wool is not recommended for silver, but since it's not in
the greatest shape to begin with...

2. Has anyone had any experience with any of the various brands of
replating-dip type liquid stuff out there? I'd like to give the set
more of a silver appearance (strictly for cosmetic effect), but I
certainly don't want to spend good money having it electroplated...

Thanks,

JRB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JRBrown wrote:
I have an older silverplated dresser set (tray, covered bowl) that I
picked up cheap ($10) at a junk shop. At some point in its life it was
aggressively cleaned with something abrasive that wore off most of the
silverplating and left myriad small scratches. It's still rather
pretty and I'd like to fix it up a bit, so:

1. What can I use to sand down the scratches? They are quite visible
but not deep enough to feel; the base is brass or some such. I've
heard steel wool is not recommended for silver, but since it's not in
the greatest shape to begin with...

Sand with 400 and 600 grit emory until you
can't see the big scratch for all the small
scratches then buff. Buffing is the only
thing that will bring the shine back.

2. Has anyone had any experience with any of the various brands of
replating-dip type liquid stuff out there? I'd like to give the set
more of a silver appearance (strictly for cosmetic effect), but I
certainly don't want to spend good money having it electroplated...

Thanks,

JRB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Electroplating is the way to get more than a few molecules of
thickness - Silver Nitrate / Chloride won't do it. Not all that
difficult once you get past the intensive cleaning and prep...
You can buy Cyanide-based or non-cyanic solutions for electro
at jewelry supply places, at Caswell or ??

Don't drink the poison.... /mark

Jim Stewart wrote:
JRBrown wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:33:14 -0700, JRBrown wrote:

I have an older silverplated dresser set (tray, covered bowl) that I
picked up cheap ($10) at a junk shop. At some point in its life it was
aggressively cleaned with something abrasive that wore off most of the
silverplating and left myriad small scratches. It's still rather
pretty and I'd like to fix it up a bit, so:

1. What can I use to sand down the scratches? They are quite visible
but not deep enough to feel; the base is brass or some such. I've
heard steel wool is not recommended for silver, but since it's not in
the greatest shape to begin with...

2. Has anyone had any experience with any of the various brands of
replating-dip type liquid stuff out there? I'd like to give the set
more of a silver appearance (strictly for cosmetic effect), but I
certainly don't want to spend good money having it electroplated...

Apparently, electroplating doesn't have to be a nightma
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm

There's more at http://www.google.com/search?q=electroplating-kit

Good Luck!
Rich