DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HF Inline Sander Mods (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/213934-hf-inline-sander-mods.html)

JR North September 10th 07 06:15 PM

HF Inline Sander Mods

Snagged this on sale for $22.00 to continue the bodywork on my Datsun
Roadster. The first one lasted 10 minutes, when the sled(bottom
pad/paper carrier) became detached from the drive plate. Turned out,
it's just thin aluminum, attached with one wimpy 6mm screw/locknut at
each end. The Gomer who assembled the unit did not tighten the screws
well, allowing them to rock slightly through the holes in the aluminum
sled. They quickly hogged them out, to where the screw heads just pulled
through the sled, and it became detached.
I returned it under warranty and got another. I modified the sled mount
by using 2 1/4-20 X1" bolts, lock washers, lock nuts, and 1/4" flat
fender washers under the heads.
Force the washers at an angle into the holes in the rubber pad, to where
they contact the aluminum plate. Rock them around until they cut under
the glued pad, and center over the screw holes. Insert the bolts through
the pad, and attach the drive plate with the lock nuts and thin Chinese
lock washers under them. Force a 7/16" thin wall socket into the pad
holes to hold the bolt heads, and tighten the crap out of the lock nuts.
I've got 2 hours into the new one; no sign of loosening or failure.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"