Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Portland Oregon metal supplier?

Hi all -

Several years ago I found a metal supplier in Portland who was located
under the Ross Island Bridge in the Zidell area. I think I remember the
name as "Pacific Metals"

Since the gentrification of the waterfront area I've heard that they
moved, and now that I need some additional small bits of 14ga 6061 I'm
trying to re-locate them to no avail..

Does anyone know where they went - or - does anyone know a good supplier
(preferably in the Portland area) of small (like remnant) pieces of
1/16" aluminum for less than an arm and leg or first-born?

Thanks in advance -

Carla
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

Several years ago I found a metal supplier in Portland who was located
under the Ross Island Bridge in the Zidell area. I think I remember the
name as "Pacific Metals"

Since the gentrification of the waterfront area I've heard that they
moved, and now that I need some additional small bits of 14ga 6061 I'm
trying to re-locate them to no avail..

Does anyone know where they went - or - does anyone know a good supplier
(preferably in the Portland area) of small (like remnant) pieces of
1/16" aluminum for less than an arm and leg or first-born?

Thanks in advance -

Carla

I'll plead complete ignorance on one aspect of your question.

I have no idea if aluminum sheet is even sold in "Gauge" sizes. All
the aluminum I have ever dealt with was marked in thousandths of an
inch. Maybe the stuff sold as flashing at the borg home stores... ?

Try phoning the guys. If they are still in business, they have a
phone. Probably listed under "metal" or "recycling" in the yellow pages.

Other options. Other metal dealers. Aircraft maintenance. Got a light
plane Airport near you? Every guy that I know that has had anything to
do with airplanes has a cardboard box full off assorted remnants. The
certified aircraft guys usually keep some scraps around that have lost
their markings. Usefull enough for doing misc. projects with, but not
really supposed to end up on airplanes. Often, available for the asking,
though, the guys I know would be pretty pleased to have an offer of some
coffees, or donuts in the mix. They are usually even happier, when they
actually get them! :-)

Ask around to see if there is an EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assn)
Chapter near you. These are aircraft homebuilders. Same deal.

If you have to resort to retail, take a look at Aircraft Spruce and
Specialty. Good folks.

Take a quick look through an aircraft homebuilders magazine at the
news stant. Buy one even. Lots of ad's from outfits catering to the
small user.

Not a direct answer, sorry. Hope it gives you a few ideas, though.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 9, 11:02 pm, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

Several years ago I found a metal supplier in Portland who was located
under the Ross Island Bridge in the Zidell area. I think I remember the
name as "Pacific Metals"

Since the gentrification of the waterfront area I've heard that they
moved, and now that I need some additional small bits of 14ga 6061 I'm
trying to re-locate them to no avail..

Does anyone know where they went - or - does anyone know a good supplier
(preferably in the Portland area) of small (like remnant) pieces of
1/16" aluminum for less than an arm and leg or first-born?

Thanks in advance -

Carla

Carla, it's been longer than you think! Zidel, Schnitzer and Alaska
Junk, (all Schnitzer family owned, I think) all closed and the
polluted land covered by Schnitzer's illegal dredging and filling of
the area. Then he gave it to the city of Portland. I was working for
American Data Services, in the same area, in the late 1970's and used
to visit there regularly. They closed sometime in the late 70's, I
think. My Dad used to buy steel and machine parts for his sawmill from
Zidel's.

I live in Redmond, OR and have and electronics assembly service there.
Next door is Smith Rock River Boats. They make flat bottom aluminum
boats and have bins of scrap aluminum sheet kept inside their plant! I
have no idea of the alloy,but looks to be the thickness you are
looking for. Are there any boat manufacturing places in your area?

Lanceair, the kit airplane company used to have their manufacturing
operation in our building, also. They used VERY little metal in their
airplane. I picked up a couple of pieces of aluminum plate when they
moved and cleaned out, but is was used in some of the fiber glass
molds, not in the airplane. So I don't think the home built airplane
people would be a good source of material.

You might, however, look into the FBO operations at either the
Troutdale or Hillsboro airports, possible others, for people who
repair airplanes. In July, I think, I went to an auction at a FBO in
Madras that closed several years ago. They had a big supply of
aluminum sheets of quite a few different thicknesses. I didn't bid on
them and don't know what they went for. I think most of the aluminum
went to airplane people that were into repairs and restoration.

I bought quite a bunch of 1/4 6061 aluminum plate several years ago
from Pacific Metals. They cut it to size for tooling plates for my
assembly equipment. Right now, I am reusing the old plates where I can
because of the costs of new aluminum. They may be able to supply
something for you that will work.

Good luck in your search. Hope something I mentioned will help.

Best regards,

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sure. In the Clackamas area is Clackamas Steel. They're a surplus yard.
Mainly steel, but they have stainless and aluminum also. The aluminum is in
a shed toward the back. They encourage customers to browse their yard. I
don't have the address, but they are on Evelyn St. in Clackamas. Check the
phone book. Sadly, I moved to Central Oregon last year. Clackamas Steel is
one of the few places I miss.
42

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
Hi all -

Several years ago I found a metal supplier in Portland who was located
under the Ross Island Bridge in the Zidell area. I think I remember the
name as "Pacific Metals"

Since the gentrification of the waterfront area I've heard that they
moved, and now that I need some additional small bits of 14ga 6061 I'm
trying to re-locate them to no avail..

Does anyone know where they went - or - does anyone know a good supplier
(preferably in the Portland area) of small (like remnant) pieces of 1/16"
aluminum for less than an arm and leg or first-born?

Thanks in advance -

Carla

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 10, 6:11 pm, "42etus" wrote:
Sure. In the Clackamas area is Clackamas Steel. They're a surplus yard.
Mainly steel, but they have stainless and aluminum also. The aluminum is in
a shed toward the back. They encourage customers to browse their yard. I
don't have the address, but they are on Evelyn St. in Clackamas. Check the
phone book. Sadly, I moved to Central Oregon last year. Clackamas Steel is
one of the few places I miss.
42

Where in Central Oregon? I moved from Redmond to Crooked River Ranch
last Spring. My business is still in Redmond.

Paul, KD7HB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We're in La Pine. I love living here, but do miss some of the amenities of
the larger city, a decent metal supplier being one. Do you know of any in
the area? I've been to Schnitzer's in Bend and was somewhat underwhelmed.
42, also a Paul

wrote in message
ps.com...