DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   drill bits (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/213890-drill-bits.html)

thirst4knwldg September 10th 07 03:50 AM

drill bits

i in the middle of a project for my company ,but having small problem
with drilling through 1/4 inch steel. my question is what is the best
type of drill bit to use for boring thru the side of a forklift?

spaco September 10th 07 04:07 PM

drill bits

I have drilled holes in such metals by heating them to red/orange with a
torch and then backing the torch off so slowly so the red spot cools
down to non-glowing over a period of 20 or 30 seconds. This will
anneal that small spot enough to drill with hi-speed bits. Obviously,
you don't want to do this if there are electrical or fuel lines in the
immediate area. This will work for carbon steels for sure and maybe for
some oil hardening alloys.
I like Martin's idea of heating the spot with a spinning shaft. I
have welded long shanks to drill bits in the lathe with this method.
The issue for you will be in holding the (red) heat long enough so the
material does anneal some.

Pete Stanaitis