Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default fa; kinda but not really an auction shill - interesting old unused die stop

I guess I'm not a manufacturing guy, but in a pile of mystery stuff I
ordered off ebay, came two envelopes with these die stops in them - I'd
never even heard of a die stop, and here are two new and unused ones, with
instructions and everything - it's kinda interesting - I suppose something
like this isn't used anymore, but I've never acutally been next to an
operating progressive press (ok, what is a progressive press?)

anyway, for intellectual interest, here is the link to the auction - I think
the photo is almost good enough to give the idea and show the installation
diagrams - looks like an easy enough thing to make if you have a use for
them

I haven't see something using an exchange name in a telephone number for a
long time - these must be pretty old

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:
like this isn't used anymore, but I've never acutally been next to an
operating progressive press (ok, what is a progressive press?)

This has several stations on one platen where the part advances
from station to station with each press cycle. Each station
does something different to the part. Many times the part is
made from a strip of metal, and the part is left attached to the
strip until the very end, when it is cut free. So, the strip
just pays through the punch, step by step. These punches can
make holes, bend the part, draw it, even crimp several parts
together. If you've ever taken apart an appliance switch, wall
switch or outlet, the metal parts inside are usually made like this.

Jon