Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Color change of titanium racks after anodizing

We are using Vulcanium titanium racks for chromic acid anodizing and
phosphoric acid anodizing of aluminum alloys.

When we receive new racks, we observed the original color of titanium
racks would change to blue or purple after the first run Somehow the
color would disappear after second or third run.

Why did this happen? Shold I try a new supplier. In eBay, I found a
supplier for titanium racks
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ack&category0=

Their cost is a fraction of that of Vulcanium.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 8, 2:16 pm, wrote:
We are using Vulcanium titanium racks for chromic acid anodizing and
phosphoric acid anodizing of aluminum alloys.

When we receive new racks, we observed the original color of titanium
racks would change to blue or purple after the first run Somehow the
color would disappear after second or third run.

Why did this happen? Shold I try a new supplier. In eBay, I found a
supplier for titanium rackshttp://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle...

Their cost is a fraction of that of Vulcanium.

Seems like you are anodizing the titanium. The color change is the
result of the anodizing on the rack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 8, 2:16 pm, wrote:
We are using Vulcanium titanium racks for chromic acid anodizing and
phosphoric acid anodizing of aluminum alloys.

When we receive new racks, we observed the original color of titanium
racks would change to blue or purple after the first run Somehow the
color would disappear after second or third run.

Why did this happen? Shold I try a new supplier. In eBay, I found a
supplier for titanium rackshttp://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle...

Their cost is a fraction of that of Vulcanium.

Does the color show up in or outside of the solution? Titanium has not
been observed to change color unless it is immersed in the right
electrolyte. The blue color is a thin film of Ti oxide, just like
Aluminum oxide.

Changing the rack supplier won't help in your case. I visited this
eBay listing too and even checked out their website www.anodizingracksonline.com.
Very low cost racks, not sure about the quality. Guess I should give
them a try.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am I missing something in the headers in the three posts in this thread
prior to my own? Looks funny to me..

John

Anodizing Question: Titanium or Aluminum Racks Torrey Hills Metalworking 14 May 21st 18 02:44 AM
How to increase the current carrying capacity of Titanium Anodizing Racks [email protected] Metalworking 5 August 24th 07 07:57 PM
How Change I Change the Color of Metal Roof Flashing? Mike Home Repair 7 December 19th 05 01:30 AM
color change Jim Woodworking 5 August 1st 05 12:45 AM
variac for anodizing titanium help DoN. Nichols Metalworking 9 December 22nd 04 06:18 AM