Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 9/16 X 18 tpi bolt?

Would a 9/16 X 18 tpi X 3" long steel bolt or cap screw be
considered a generic item? Generic enough that I could walk into a
Lowes or Home Dept or Ace hardware, and expect it to be in stock?

If not, what type store would have this? I only need 2 or 3 of 'em.

Lee

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Would a 9/16 X 18 tpi X 3" long steel bolt or cap screw be
considered a generic item? Generic enough that I could walk into a
Lowes or Home Dept or Ace hardware, and expect it to be in stock?

If not, what type store would have this? I only need 2 or 3 of 'em.

Lee

No, not any more.

Check your phonebook to see if a Fastenal dealer is in your area and as Iggy
mentioned, McMaster Carr. UPS on that is most likey 5 bucks and you can
burn that driving around. Just went through that routine looking for 5-40
machine screws. Ended up ordering from McMaster.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

9/16 - 12 is the standard national coarse SAE thread.
9/16 - 18 is the standard national fine SAE thread.

They should both be readily available at any good auto parts or
hardware store.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
ups.com...

Would a 9/16 X 18 tpi X 3" long steel bolt or cap screw be
considered a generic item? Generic enough that I could walk
into a
Lowes or Home Dept or Ace hardware, and expect it to be in
stock?

If not, what type store would have this? I only need 2 or 3 of
'em.

Lee

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mentioned, McMaster Carr. UPS on that is most likey 5 bucks and you can
burn that driving around. Just went through that routine looking for 5-40
machine screws. Ended up ordering from McMaster.

I've quit bothering with the hardware store. Need five things, they have
four. Mcmaster has it all. Order by 5:30 and its all here by 10 the next
morning. AND, I GET A NEW CATALOG every year.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I GET A NEW CATALOG every year

Now that is a GLOAT!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 06:48:03 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

mentioned, McMaster Carr. UPS on that is most likey 5 bucks and you can
burn that driving around. Just went through that routine looking for 5-40
machine screws. Ended up ordering from McMaster.

I've quit bothering with the hardware store. Need five things, they have
four. Mcmaster has it all. Order by 5:30 and its all here by 10 the next
morning. AND, I GET A NEW CATALOG every year.

How the hell do some people rate? I had to beg and plead for
someone's "old" copy of #108. Don't need a new one every year, but
every three or four would be nice.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

Would a 9/16 X 18 tpi X 3" long steel bolt or cap screw be
considered a generic item? Generic enough that I could walk into a
Lowes or Home Dept or Ace hardware, and expect it to be in stock?

If not, what type store would have this? I only need 2 or 3 of 'em.

Lee

Although it is a standard SAE or UNF size and thread, it is not a real
high-volume diameter and is not carried by many consumer type hardware
outlets. Many carry nothing larger than 1/2" and both 7/16" and 9/16" are
often missing from their lines.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got some shorter 9/16-18s from Fastenal.
You may have to buy 25 of them. Too bad you need 3" or I'd send
you a couple of the left-overs I have. They were only about 1 1/2" long
and I only needed 2.
Have you tried MSC?
Our farm supply stores carry 5/8 and 3/4 coarse thread bolts, but
9/16, no.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------------

Don Young wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

Would a 9/16 X 18 tpi X 3" long steel bolt or cap screw be
considered a generic item? Generic enough that I could walk into a
Lowes or Home Dept or Ace hardware, and expect it to be in stock?

If not, what type store would have this? I only need 2 or 3 of 'em.

Lee

Although it is a standard SAE or UNF size and thread, it is not a real
high-volume diameter and is not carried by many consumer type hardware
outlets. Many carry nothing larger than 1/2" and both 7/16" and 9/16" are
often missing from their lines.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:48:03 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
mentioned, McMaster Carr. UPS on that is most likey 5 bucks and you
can burn that driving around. Just went through that routine looking
for 5-40 machine screws. Ended up ordering from McMaster.

I've quit bothering with the hardware store. Need five things, they have
four. Mcmaster has it all. Order by 5:30 and its all here by 10 the next
morning. AND, I GET A NEW CATALOG every year.

Heck, I don't _need_ a catalog - I've got the whole store at my fingertips:
http://www.mcmaster.com.

Speaking of bolts,
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3064

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Odd Bolt ? qrk Electronic Schematics 3 March 14th 07 05:44 AM
Bolt, 10-24 Don Dando Woodworking 4 August 10th 06 04:52 PM
How do I tell what bolt I need? TC UK diy 12 April 21st 06 11:47 PM
bolt question habbi Metalworking 5 May 28th 05 10:34 PM
Why heat bolt and not around bolt? Don Metalworking 21 March 12th 04 11:07 PM