Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ultrasonic cleaning luquids

What liquids wuld you recommend for US cleaning?

I used hot water with TSP, but would like to know if there is anything
better. The application is usually removing oily crud from iron items.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus18849 fired this volley in
:

What liquids wuld you recommend for US cleaning?

I used hot water with TSP, but would like to know if there is anything
better. The application is usually removing oily crud from iron items.

For oily or greasy items, a strongly basic solution of almost anything
would work. All you're doing is saponifying the grease into soap.

Lye would work, so long as it's dilute enough not to strongly etch the
work.

Some solvents are OK, too, but watch for low flashpoints in ultrasonic
gear.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus18849 fired this volley in
:

What liquids wuld you recommend for US cleaning?

I used hot water with TSP, but would like to know if there is anything
better. The application is usually removing oily crud from iron items.

For oily or greasy items, a strongly basic solution of almost anything
would work. All you're doing is saponifying the grease into soap.

Lye would work, so long as it's dilute enough not to strongly etch the
work.

Some solvents are OK, too, but watch for low flashpoints in ultrasonic
gear.

LLoyd

The regular "purple" degreaser works well. Simple Green is one of the
recommended cleaners for cleaning SCUBA regulators with an US cleaner.
Most any non flammable cleaner that won't attack the SS tank or the part
will work fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The regular "purple" degreaser works well. Simple Green is one of the
recommended cleaners for cleaning SCUBA regulators with an US cleaner.
Most any non flammable cleaner that won't attack the SS tank or the part
will work fine.

I've had luck removing stains with ammonia and dish soap. Also great to
clean my glasses and the SO's jewelry

"The Kid" put carb parts out of a '65 'stang that had been in a junk yard
for years in a little can of carb cleaner and held it in the tank, floating
and guided by a couple strings. parts looked like new.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What about when the object is aluminum and you don't want to use a
strong basic? (I found a preme-o Devilbiss spray gun at the dump that I
need to clean.)

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

What about when the object is aluminum and you don't want to use a
strong basic? (I found a preme-o Devilbiss spray gun at the dump that I
need to clean.)

Bob

Try one of the citrus based cleaners.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
What about when the object is aluminum and you don't want to use a strong
basic? (I found a preme-o Devilbiss spray gun at the dump that I need to
clean.)

Bob

Watch material firms sell an ammoniated (Stoddard)solvent based cleaner. It
has some sort of blue soap in it as well. Warning, it's pricey! In the 1970s
it was $30.00 CDN per gallon.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would start with total disassembly and a long soak in lacquer
thinner (overnight in a closed container?). Try a little rubbing
with a 3M type scrub pad. Should clean right up unless the
residue is from a catalyzed finish or some such.

Paint strippers would be the next step, but they might eat seals
and o rings.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .