DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   looking to by an ultrasonic cleaner (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/213547-looking-ultrasonic-cleaner.html)

[email protected] September 7th 07 01:29 AM

looking to by an ultrasonic cleaner

Would like some opinions on an ultrasonic cleaner... a bench top
model. Something with a baskets size around 12 x 12 x 10 or so, no
more than $1800.

Have a few in mind, this one (mostly because of price) is leading the
pack:

http://www.jewelsmall.com/exulcaclsysh.html

Anyone have experience with that particular brand?

BUT... I have never used one, so I don't know what to expect regarding
how clean the parts are going to come out.

Can I put in a carburetor that has seen years of crud baked onto it
into the unit, come back in an hour or two to a spotless part? That
same carburetor, after a 24 hour bath in carb cleaning bucket still
needs some time in the varsol parts washer with a brush to try to get
all the grim out of all the nooks and crannys... and it still is not
100%.

thanks to ALL who have positive and helpful comments!
ron

[email protected] September 7th 07 01:30 AM

looking to by an ultrasonic cleaner

sorry, in topic, I meant BUY not by.

Randy Replogle September 7th 07 01:51 AM

wrote:
[...]

Branson is a well known name.
Randy

Ignoramus7495 September 7th 07 03:11 AM

looking to by an ultrasonic cleaner

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 00:51:42 GMT, Randy Replogle wrote:
Branson is a well known name.

I am very happy with my Branson cleaner. I cleaned some very dirty
dies with it, among other things, it works well.

Pete C. September 7th 07 04:28 AM

wrote:

[...]

The Branson units are pretty top of the line, and have prices to match.
The Harbor Freight #95563 is a rather nice 2.5l tank unit with heat and
when it's on sale / with coupon for about $60 it's hard to beat. It
passes the "blow holes in aluminum foil" test well so it has a
reasonable amount of power.

LowEnergyParticle September 7th 07 04:52 AM

On Sep 6, 10:28 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
The Harbor Freight #95563 is a rather nice 2.5l tank unit with heat and
when it's on sale / with coupon for about $60 it's hard to beat. It
passes the "blow holes in aluminum foil" test well so it has a
reasonable amount of power.

Pete C.

What's the "blow holes in aluminum foil" test? I've got two old L&R
ultrasonics that don't seem to clean well anymore; it would be nice to
have a quick generic test to put to them.

Thanks!
Dave

Pete C. September 7th 07 02:36 PM

LowEnergyParticle wrote:

On Sep 6, 10:28 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
The Harbor Freight #95563 is a rather nice 2.5l tank unit with heat and
when it's on sale / with coupon for about $60 it's hard to beat. It
passes the "blow holes in aluminum foil" test well so it has a
reasonable amount of power.

Pete C.

What's the "blow holes in aluminum foil" test? I've got two old L&R
ultrasonics that don't seem to clean well anymore; it would be nice to
have a quick generic test to put to them.

Thanks!
Dave

Fill cleaner with water, hold a piece of aluminum foil in the water and
turn the cleaner on for a second. Take the foil out and hold up to light
looking for holes in it. If there aren't any holes, try exposing the
foil a few seconds longer. If still no holes, you have a problem. The
cheap HF unit put plenty of holes in the foil in just 1 second, and just
about shredded it in 5 or 6 seconds.

Richard J Kinch September 7th 07 05:50 PM

LowEnergyParticle writes:

What's the "blow holes in aluminum foil" test?

Or, just dunk you hand in. You'll know if it's working.

[email protected] September 7th 07 07:26 PM

looking to by an ultrasonic cleaner

Thanks for the tip on Branson... will look into that.

How about my expectations... if the unit is of adequate power and the
chemical is right, is this a miracle cleaner?

Pete C. September 7th 07 07:58 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the tip on Branson... will look into that.

How about my expectations... if the unit is of adequate power and the
chemical is right, is this a miracle cleaner?

A normal US cleaner isn't real good for bulk cleaning of crud, a brush
is better at that. A US cleaner is rather miraculous in it's ability to
clean completely inaccessible areas of a part, like tiny internal
passages. They basically provide a very fine scrubbing agitation from
the vibration and the cavitation of tiny bubbles. I'm sure the Branson
site has a better technical description.

Richard J Kinch September 8th 07 12:37 AM

looking to by an ultrasonic cleaner

if the unit is of adequate power and the
chemical is right, is this a miracle cleaner?

The (chemical) cleaner (surfactant) is still the cleaner. The ultrasonic
energy is just a form of agitation, not miraculous, or even particularly
impressive for that matter.

LowEnergyParticle September 8th 07 03:04 AM

On Sep 7, 8:36 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Fill cleaner with water, hold a piece of aluminum foil in the water and
turn the cleaner on for a second. Take the foil out and hold up to light
looking for holes in it. If there aren't any holes, try exposing the
foil a few seconds longer. If still no holes, you have a problem. The
cheap HF unit put plenty of holes in the foil in just 1 second, and just
about shredded it in 5 or 6 seconds.

Pete C.,

Many thanks! One of the LR units is good, and the other bad. I'm
much obliged!

Dave