Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New toy gloat!

I had a job that justified buying a sandblasting cabinet! Now, before the
damn thing is assembled and set up, we have thought of lots of ways it will
be useful. I've had a gun and a bucket of playground sand and we used it
outside the back door but with the convenience and cleanliness of the
cabinet, more stuff will get blasted. I bought a supply of "Scat Magic"
which is rolled automotive glass. It's been so painful to keep my
fingerprints off using a wire wheel, this will be better!

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cleanliness? We'll see. Even a slight compromise in the seals of the
cabinet will allow fine dust to get everyhere around it. Not to mention
taking bits out, and just opening the door. Don't have it anywhere near
where these problems will affect sensitive suuff, including SWMBO.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Tom Gardner wrote:

I had a job that justified buying a sandblasting cabinet! Now, before the
damn thing is assembled and set up, we have thought of lots of ways it will
be useful. I've had a gun and a bucket of playground sand and we used it
outside the back door but with the convenience and cleanliness of the
cabinet, more stuff will get blasted. I bought a supply of "Scat Magic"
which is rolled automotive glass. It's been so painful to keep my
fingerprints off using a wire wheel, this will be better!

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I built a blasting cabinet 20 years ago and put a small squirrel cage
blower on it. The blower was vented outdoors. It was just enough to create a
negative pressure when in use. Abrasive fell to the bottom to re-use and the
dust went out doors. No mess or dust in the shop. Best of all it cost me
about $25 USD.
42

Tom Gardner wrote:

I had a job that justified buying a sandblasting cabinet! Now, before
the damn thing is assembled and set up, we have thought of lots of ways
it will be useful. I've had a gun and a bucket of playground sand and we
used it outside the back door but with the convenience and cleanliness of
the cabinet, more stuff will get blasted. I bought a supply of "Scat
Magic" which is rolled automotive glass. It's been so painful to keep my
fingerprints off using a wire wheel, this will be better!

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

Dependence is Vulnerability:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"42etus" wrote in message
.. .
I built a blasting cabinet 20 years ago and put a small squirrel cage
blower on it. The blower was vented outdoors. It was just enough to create
a negative pressure when in use. Abrasive fell to the bottom to re-use and
the dust went out doors. No mess or dust in the shop. Best of all it cost
me about $25 USD.
42

I've been using a similar system for years. The damned vacuum cleaner units
that come with cabinets leave a lot to be desired------often leaking fine
dust into the shop, and a less than comfortable noise level.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
snip----

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

I agree. Wire wheels don't work. Abrasive blasting does! ;-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

I have a feeling your baddest arsed wire wheel is not as agressive as
abrasive blasting.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

I have a feeling your baddest arsed wire wheel is not as agressive as
abrasive blasting.

Wes

I'v seen a wire brush cut a 1/2" plate!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"42etus" wrote in message
.. .
I built a blasting cabinet 20 years ago and put a small squirrel cage
blower on it. The blower was vented outdoors. It was just enough to create
a negative pressure when in use. Abrasive fell to the bottom to re-use and
the dust went out doors. No mess or dust in the shop. Best of all it cost
me about $25 USD.
42

I've been using a similar system for years. The damned vacuum cleaner
units that come with cabinets leave a lot to be desired------often leaking
fine dust into the shop, and a less than comfortable noise level.

Harold

I'll hook it into our central blower system and have a blast gate in line so
I can choke it or it will suck it empty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

. net...

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
snip----

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

I agree. Wire wheels don't work. Abrasive blasting does! ;-)

Harold

Bite me!

Geeez, looooeeeezzze--------who ****ed on your cornflakes, Tom? :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:51:24 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

I have a feeling your baddest arsed wire wheel is not as agressive as
abrasive blasting.

Wes

Actually...pretty close.

Ive used Black Max to remove rust, and Ive used Tommy's knotted wire
wheels, and at times...the wire wheels are the winners

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

HCl in a tank, with some water to make it higher volume and when steel
is nice and gray - the rust floats off if brushed (with rubber gloves)
and then slide whatever into a large tank of Baking soda with soda sitting
on the bottom - to replace what is used up.

Steel comes out nice gray/steel color. Without baking soda the steel
will rust.

This takes off Black Scale from hot rolled and rust.

Martin - been doing it all week.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

I have a feeling your baddest arsed wire wheel is not as agressive as
abrasive blasting.

Wes

Actually...pretty close.

Ive used Black Max to remove rust, and Ive used Tommy's knotted wire
wheels, and at times...the wire wheels are the winners

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

I have a feeling your baddest arsed wire wheel is not as agressive as
abrasive blasting.

Wes

I'v seen a wire brush cut a 1/2" plate!

I've seen abrasive jet systems in action....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:45:37 +1000, Mastic not@thisaddress wrote:
What is HCI?

1. Please don't top-post, it makes quoting with coherent context
difficult.

2. HCl. Chemical composition of hydrochloric acid. But - it's quite
nasty and if your training doesn't include recognizing it by name, it'd
probably be best to leave using it to people with years or decades of
built-in safety experience with the stuff. It's _very_ nasty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:
2. HCl. ... It's _very_ nasty. ...

There's much worse. The home version of HCl is "muriatic" acid. The
fumes are very irritating if inhaled, but otherwise not so bad. I use
it all the time for derusting, get it on my hands, etc. I don't leave
it on my hands, but it's not particularly painful.

Biggest precaution is against its fumes - they *will* rust everything.
I only use it outside.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:37:51 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:
2. HCl. ... It's _very_ nasty. ...

There's much worse. The home version of HCl is "muriatic" acid. The
fumes are very irritating if inhaled, but otherwise not so bad. I use
it all the time for derusting, get it on my hands, etc. I don't leave
it on my hands, but it's not particularly painful.

Oh, agreed, HF would be worse what with that whole "dissolving your
bones while you're trying to use them" thing but still.

Biggest precaution is against its fumes - they *will* rust everything.
I only use it outside.

Right but if the guy didn't recognze the chemical by it's name, he's
probably better off leaving the use of it to someone trained.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bottom posting is for the mentally handicapped.I "What is HCI?"
really does not need any quoting at all.

Just poking a little at those that insist that their way is the only
way.

Dan

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Emerson

On Sep 8, 1:54 pm, Dave Hinz wrote:

1. Please don't top-post, it makes quoting with coherent context
difficult.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
HCl in a tank, with some water to make it higher volume and when steel
is nice and gray - the rust floats off if brushed (with rubber gloves)
and then slide whatever into a large tank of Baking soda with soda sitting
on the bottom - to replace what is used up.

Steel comes out nice gray/steel color. Without baking soda the steel
will rust.

This takes off Black Scale from hot rolled and rust.

Martin - been doing it all week.

A word of caution. If you pickle heat treated objects, they should receive
a roast afterwards to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I never heard of that - but I believe it.

I think when I didn't have the baking soda and washed it off with
the hose... The 'clean' plates rusted lightly. When treated with
a super saturated (it was in piles on the bottom of the tray) of baking
soda it didn't rust. I think the hydrogen in the surface absorbs moisture
and more exactly- creates it from oxygen. Thus the rust.
And the process starts over - in reverse. I suppose.
Martin

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
HCl in a tank, with some water to make it higher volume and when steel
is nice and gray - the rust floats off if brushed (with rubber gloves)
and then slide whatever into a large tank of Baking soda with soda sitting
on the bottom - to replace what is used up.

Steel comes out nice gray/steel color. Without baking soda the steel
will rust.

This takes off Black Scale from hot rolled and rust.

Martin - been doing it all week.

A word of caution. If you pickle heat treated objects, they should receive
a roast afterwards to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I top post because I want to read what is new. If I need the history, I can
scroll down and read it.

"Mastic" not@thisaddress wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:45:37 +1000, Mastic not@thisaddress wrote:
What is HCI?

1. Please don't top-post, it makes quoting with coherent context
difficult.

2. HCl. Chemical composition of hydrochloric acid. But - it's quite
nasty and if your training doesn't include recognizing it by name, it'd
probably be best to leave using it to people with years or decades of
built-in safety experience with the stuff. It's _very_ nasty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

Would you believe I also dislike top posting and at one time I would
ask people to bottom post for exactly the same reason, we read *down*
the page, however I have given up under the weight of almost universal
top posting and started top posting myself.

David