Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default REQ: field expedient tube bead

I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard copper
~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing to the copper
tubes. I would like to create beads in the copper tube. Copper tube
can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an alternative?

TIA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default field expedient tube bead

"Dev Null" wrote in message
I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard copper
~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing to the copper
tubes. I would like to create beads in the copper tube. Copper tube
can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an alternative?

TIA

Solder on thingys with a bead.

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dev Null sezz:
I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard copper
~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing to the copper
tubes. I would like to create beads in the copper tube. Copper tube
can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an alternative?

If you are putting a bead on it to use as a roadblock for a clamp or
similar - why not just flare the end of the tubing?
--
Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug" wrote in
:

Dev Null sezz:
I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard
copper ~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing
to the copper tubes. I would like to create beads in the
copper tube. Copper tube can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an
alternative?

If you are putting a bead on it to use as a roadblock for a
clamp or similar - why not just flare the end of the tubing?
--
Doug

I think this will make it difficult to install the plastic tubing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Boyd" wrote in
:

"Dev Null" wrote in message
I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard
copper
~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing to the
copper tubes. I would like to create beads in the copper
tube. Copper tube can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an
alternative?

TIA

Solder on thingys with a bead.

Carl Boyd

This is probably the best solution.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dev Null wrote:
"Carl Boyd" wrote in
:

"Dev Null" wrote in message
. ..

I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard
copper
~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing to the
copper tubes. I would like to create beads in the copper
tube. Copper tube can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an
alternative?

TIA

Solder on thingys with a bead.

Carl Boyd

This is probably the best solution.

Thanks

Get a compression collar from the local hardware store that will fit the
O.D. of the tubing and sweat solder it on.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Dev Null :
"Doug" wrote in
:

Dev Null sezz:
I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard
copper ~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing
to the copper tubes. I would like to create beads in the
copper tube. Copper tube can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an
alternative?

If you are putting a bead on it to use as a roadblock for a
clamp or similar - why not just flare the end of the tubing?

[ ... ]

I think this will make it difficult to install the plastic tubing.

Hmm ... what about a double-wall flare set taken only part way.
IIRC, you start out with a cylinder, clamp it in the bar and compress a
die to the end resulting in a shape like this (view with a fixed pitch
font like Courier to avoid distortion of the drawing, though I *think*
that this one should be pretty immune):

_______/\

-------\/

and the second stage (which you skip) folds that in like this:

________//

--------\\

Try it on some spare 1/2" copper tube to make sure that what it produces
is what you need before doing it where it matters.

You might even be able to reduce the size of the bulge by
clamping it a bit shorter than it is supposed to be.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

what Don said - I've done that, works great

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to Dev Null :
"Doug" wrote in
:

Dev Null sezz:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:59:55 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:
Dev Null wrote:
"Carl Boyd" wrote:
"Dev Null" wrote...

I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard
copper ~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing
to the copper tubes. I would like to create beads in the
copper tube. Copper tube can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an
alternative?

Solder on thingys with a bead.

This is probably the best solution.

Get a compression collar from the local hardware store that will
fit the O.D. of the tubing and sweat solder it on.

That is the easiest, and it's got the added advantage of being
easily field reversible. Should you need to change it later just heat
the compression sleeve and slide it off, then heat again and wipe off
the excess solder film.

You don't say what the use of this widget is, but don't use lead
bearing solder in case this is a food contact item - lead free
plumbers solder. And if this operates at medium temperatures you use
silver solder or silver braze. (Check materials compatibility with
the operating fluid before deciding between solder or braze. If the
fluid will leach tin into solution...)

A mechanical alternative (no torch, no heat) is to get a
double-flare kit and do a very shallow flare on the end of the tubing.
But this can only be 'fixed' by cutting the flare off the tubing
stub, and you need room to clamp the flare tool to the tubing stub &
room to attach and operate the flaring cone.

Oh, and most plastic tubing slides over retention beads like that a
whole lot easier if you warm it up first. Welding gloves, a little
pot of boiling water and a few seconds dunk should do it.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 4, 11:24 pm, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
According to Dev Null :

"Doug" wrote in
:

Dev Null sezz:
[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

Double-ditto. Do it all the time.

In a pinch I also have a trick that will produce a usable metric
bubble flare from the standard double-flare tool.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:57:31 GMT, Dev Null wrote:

I have a widget that has some tubes coming out. Tubes are hard copper
~1/2-inch O.D. actual. I want to attach plastic tubing to the copper
tubes. I would like to create beads in the copper tube. Copper tube
can not be removed from widget.

Can anyone suggest a method to create a bead or an alternative?

TIA

there is a little tool to do just this. it is basically three balls
like a ball bearing component in a cross drilling through a hollow
tube.
a conical part is pulled into the tube to force the balls out of the
holes in the tube.
you basically nut it up tight then rotate the entire tool. as you pull
the cone up tighter the balls press out and raise the metal more.

the other alternative is to solder a ring of copper wire in place.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 4, 7:21 pm, Dev Null wrote:
"Doug" wrote :
...why not just flare the end of the tubing?
Doug

I think this will make it difficult to install the plastic tubing.

Not if you flare a little, check the fit, etc. until the tubing barely
fits when heated.

If you anneal the copper you can flare it a little by wiggling a
tapered center punch in it or spinning a 6-flute countersink backwards
while pushing on the tube, although this can leave chips.

jw