DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what is the best,fastest.most economical way to strip metal closet doors? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/213212-what-best-fastest-most-economical-way-strip-metal-closet-doors.html)

[email protected] September 4th 07 05:03 AM

what is the best,fastest.most economical way to strip metal closet doors?

I am currently remodeling my condo and have decided to make one room
into a office. My theme is a industrial-metal-gray walls- etc.
I am thinking of stripping the paint of my closet doors to get the
metal finish that looks great with the decor.
Now I am having somewhat of a problem. I have bought a paint stripper
and have applied it and waited and have taken off some layers of paint
down to the metal that I want.
BUT..........it is taking me way to long to get this finish.
Does anyone have any ideas in how to get this project finished faster
and more effective without scratching or messing up the metal finish?

Thanks for your time!

[email protected] September 4th 07 02:49 PM

what is the best,fastest.most economical way to strip metal closet doors?

A propane torch will heat us most paint so that it can be easily
scraped off.

But I'm not sure how you avoid the scrape marks.

DOC

[email protected] September 7th 07 05:13 AM

wrote:
I am currently remodeling my condo and have decided to make one room
into a office. My theme is a industrial-metal-gray walls- etc.
I am thinking of stripping the paint of my closet doors to get the
metal finish that looks great with the decor.
Now I am having somewhat of a problem. I have bought a paint stripper
and have applied it and waited and have taken off some layers of paint
down to the metal that I want.
BUT..........it is taking me way to long to get this finish.
Does anyone have any ideas in how to get this project finished faster
and more effective without scratching or messing up the metal finish?

Thanks for your time!

just wanted to say thanks for the advice! I went ahead and torched
them suckers and lucky for me, I had taken the doors to my mother in
laws house. The doors took on some serious heat- they torched in 5
feet of fire and burnt down her back porch. Took two fire trucks and 7
fireman to to put out the fire.

** STRIPPER IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE**

LMAO......... CANT STAND THE WOMEN!

* September 8th 07 04:20 PM

what is the best,fastest.most economical way to strip metal closet doors?

wrote in article
. com...

wrote:
[...]

That is a GOOD example of why giving advice can be dangerous.

Not everybody has the common sense to correctly apply the advice given.

Why in the world were you applying a torch to stripper-soaked paint on
someone's back porch?!?!?!

Did you not read the label on the can of stripper? (I already know the
answer to that, so don't bother.)

Middle of the back yard - away from trees, or middle of the driveway - away
from cars would have been MUCH more appropriate location......

......unfortunately, the advice givers cannot cover ALL
contingencies.......and must assume that the advice seeker has the common
sense to apply the offered advice in a safe manner.

[email protected] September 8th 07 04:46 PM

what is the best,fastest.most economical way to strip metal closet doors?

On Sep 8, 11:20 am, "*" wrote:
wrote in article
. com...

wrote:
[...]

common sense? I had explain on my post that I had done some stripping
on the paint already.
the one that does not know how to give a good advise would be you
sir.
and just a little FYI, I had kept with the stripper process, then when
most of the paint was off, the little corners and hard to reach areas,
I took a sander/buffer and finally sprayed some anti rust on the doors
and they came out great.

That advise for torching the metal doors was the most obscure thing I
have heard!

you really don't know who you might be giving advise to, and you never
know who might be the one GIVING the advise and their common sense!

* September 8th 07 09:45 PM

what is the best,fastest.most economical way to strip metal closet doors?

wrote in article
om...

common sense? I had explain on my post that I had done some stripping
on the paint already.
the one that does not know how to give a good advise would be you
sir.
and just a little FYI, I had kept with the stripper process, then when
most of the paint was off, the little corners and hard to reach areas,
I took a sander/buffer and finally sprayed some anti rust on the doors
and they came out great.

Really can't say the same about your MIL's porch, can ya'?

* September 9th 07 09:07 PM

what is the best,fastest.most economical way to strip metal closet doors?

wrote in article
om...

common sense? I had explain on my post that I had done some stripping
on the paint already.
the one that does not know how to give a good advise would be you
sir.
and just a little FYI, I had kept with the stripper process, then when
most of the paint was off, the little corners and hard to reach areas,
I took a sander/buffer and finally sprayed some anti rust on the doors
and they came out great.

That advise for torching the metal doors was the most obscure thing I
have heard!

you really don't know who you might be giving advise to, and you never
know who might be the one GIVING the advise and their common sense!

Yup! It's NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!