Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drilling a deep hole

Someone had posted a link to a page that showed how to grind your own 'd'
bit (?)for drilling deep holes. I seem to have lost my link to that page,
and can't seem to ask the right question to get what I want. playing around
with a few ideas on a possible black powder rifle, any help appreciated.
Thanks

mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 2, 3:45 am, "Michael S" wrote:
Someone had posted a link to a page that showed how to grind your own 'd'
bit (?)for drilling deep holes. I seem to have lost my link to that page,
and can't seem to ask the right question to get what I want. playing around
with a few ideas on a possible black powder rifle, any help appreciated.
Thanks

mike

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks5/deep/index.html

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

thanks for the link, but not the one I was after. it's a single picture
with the bit horizontal cutting end to the left.

uhmm. can alomst see it bu can't quite describe it...

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 2, 3:45 am, "Michael S" wrote:
Someone had posted a link to a page that showed how to grind your own 'd'
bit (?)for drilling deep holes. I seem to have lost my link to that page,
and can't seem to ask the right question to get what I want. playing
around
with a few ideas on a possible black powder rifle, any help appreciated.
Thanks

mike

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks5/deep/index.html

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of these?

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5701/...ipes/tools.htm

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/d-bit.html

"Michael S" wrote in message
thanks for the link, but not the one I was after. it's a single picture
with the bit horizontal cutting end to the left.

uhmm. can alomst see it bu can't quite describe it...

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 2, 3:45 am, "Michael S" wrote:
Someone had posted a link to a page that showed how to grind your own
'd'
bit (?)for drilling deep holes. I seem to have lost my link to that
page,
and can't seem to ask the right question to get what I want. playing
around
with a few ideas on a possible black powder rifle, any help appreciated.
Thanks

mike

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks5/deep/index.html

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not the exact page I was thinking of but exactly what I was after.
Thankyou very much....

mike

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote in message
One of these?

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5701/...ipes/tools.htm

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/d-bit.html

"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael S wrote:

Someone had posted a link to a page that showed how to grind your own 'd'
bit (?)for drilling deep holes. I seem to have lost my link to that page,
and can't seem to ask the right question to get what I want. playing around
with a few ideas on a possible black powder rifle, any help appreciated.
Thanks

mike

What you want to look for is a 'gun drill'.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

yep have been looking at them to. all dependes whats in the budget

mike

What you want to look for is a 'gun drill'.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael S wrote:

yep have been looking at them to. all dependes whats in the budget

mike

What you want to look for is a 'gun drill'.

John

try looking on ebay.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 16:46:29 GMT, "Michael S"
wrote:

thanks for the link, but not the one I was after. it's a single picture
with the bit horizontal cutting end to the left.

uhmm. can alomst see it bu can't quite describe it...

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 2, 3:45 am, "Michael S" wrote:
Someone had posted a link to a page that showed how to grind your own 'd'
bit (?)for drilling deep holes. I seem to have lost my link to that page,
and can't seem to ask the right question to get what I want. playing
around
with a few ideas on a possible black powder rifle, any help appreciated.
Thanks

mike

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks5/deep/index.html

I hate to be so pessimistic but if you are thinking of actually making
a rifle barrel then it is a really long process.

You would need to located an oil tube which is a tube with a vee
rolled into one side. Then make a single edge drill bit and solder
that into the oil tube. Drill a pilot hole and then use the full
length oil tube mounted drill which is stationary. You will need an
oil pump to force cutting oil down the tube, which flows back out
through the carrying the cuttings with it.

Once you get the hole drilled you will need to make a single edge
reamer to ream the hole to size.

Once you get that finished you will need to rifle and then finish lap
the bore.

In short a LOT of work.

If you are just interested in building a black powder rifle you can
purchase rifled barrels with a twist suitable for either round ball or
bullets from most of the larger barrel makers. Douglas, for example
stocks 36 inch twist 44 and 50 cal barrels.

Have a look at
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...fle_barrel.htm
for more details.

..
Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have pre-drilled piece of drill rod. w/ a .250" bore, all it needs is a
nice clean hole in it. As the one that is there is badly lobed. It's more
about playing around w/ what I have. The P&T mills are shut down in our
area, so between fire season and no place to ship wood, I need something to
hide in the shop with
what I would really like is a pedersoli frontier carbine in .32, but
$600 is a lot to spend on zero income....

mike

In short a LOT of work.

If you are just interested in building a black powder rifle you can
purchase rifled barrels with a twist suitable for either round ball or
bullets from most of the larger barrel makers. Douglas, for example
stocks 36 inch twist 44 and 50 cal barrels.

Have a look at
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...fle_barrel.htm
for more details.

.
Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 16:24:19 GMT, "Michael S"
wrote:

[...]

You really aren't talking about "drilling" a hole then, you are
talking about reaming, or enlarging, an existing hole.

Assuming that your drill rod is not hardened then you can do that with
a series of single edge reamers or by making a deep hole drill and
boring it to nearly finished bore diameter and then reaming. But, you
still have the problem of how to get the cuttings out. The problem
that all deep holes have. That is the real problem.

You might try making a single lip drill from drill rod and use a round
oil tube and hope that the cuttings wash out the further end of the
hole.

Generally barrel drilling is done at high rotational speeds and very
fine feeds to give the finest chips possible so that they do wash out
easily and the drill/reamer is fairly long for its diameter with very
little clearance - to keep the hole as straight as possible.

However, if you expect this thing to shoot at all accurately you still
have the problem of rifling the barrel after you get the hole to size.
You can make a smooth bore but it won't be accurate at all. I once
made a double barrel derringer with smooth bores and "across a card
table" it shot good groups but try it at 25 yards and you were lucky
to hit the paper.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)