Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Barbeque Plans

Rather than totally reinvent the wheel, has anyone seen any online
plans or photos for a decent barbeque? I'm thinking along the lines
of a compressed air tank split on it's long axis, and actually more of
a grill rather than a smoker/cooker. I need something with about two
to three times the area of a large round Weber.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Too much like work! Getcher self a Meco; they cost a fraction of
what a Weber will set you back and they work better, too.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A steaming pile of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obscure information...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 5:28 pm, oldjag wrote:
Rather than totally reinvent the wheel, has anyone seen any online
plans or photos for a decent barbeque? I'm thinking along the lines
of a compressed air tank split on it's long axis, and actually more of
a grill rather than a smoker/cooker. I need something with about two
to three times the area of a large round Weber.

Hi,
If you really want a BIG GRILL on a budget, just split a 45 gallon
drum in half with a grinder, buy a bit of weld mesh with small enough
apertures so the food you want to cook doesn't fall through, tack a
few tubes on to make a stand and VOILA! That's one big cooking
facility!
Hope this helps,
Anthony.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I thought that people make them from oil drums. I personally would not
do it. Our VFW outpost has a very nice cooker made from a large pipe,
like 24". Some even make them towable, what fun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 2:06 pm, Ignoramus8581
wrote:
I thought that people make them from oil drums. I personally would not
do it. Our VFW outpost has a very nice cooker made from a large pipe,
like 24". Some even make them towable, what fun.

Grills made from oil drums last about a year in my neck of the woods
before they rot out on the bottom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 1:35 pm, steamer wrote:
--Too much like work! Getcher self a Meco; they cost a fraction of
what a Weber will set you back and they work better, too.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A steaming pile of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obscure information...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Well I have Three charcoal Webbers now, all were free - (lots of
people toss them after they go to a gas grill). I want one larger
charcoal grill to take their place. The MECO's are not large enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 12:28 pm, oldjag wrote:
Rather than totally reinvent the wheel, has anyone seen any online
plans or photos for a decent barbeque? I'm thinking along the lines
of a compressed air tank split on it's long axis, and actually more of
a grill rather than a smoker/cooker. I need something with about two
to three times the area of a large round Weber.

I think Lincoln electric has plans in their website under projects

i think its based on a 45 gallon drum if i remember right

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"oldjag" wrote in message
s.com...
Rather than totally reinvent the wheel, has anyone seen any online
plans or photos for a decent barbeque? I'm thinking along the lines
of a compressed air tank split on it's long axis, and actually more of
a grill rather than a smoker/cooker. I need something with about two
to three times the area of a large round Weber.

My neighbor when I was growing up would get some castoff steel bathtubs
(the factory stopped setting bad ones out, so that particular source left)
and make very nice barbeques out of two of them. The flat face would get
moved to a work surface, and the drain and overflow holes became cleanout
and exhaust. Assorted shelves would be added, and you could add a smoker
section to it if you wanted.
The ceramic coating of the tubs lasted longer than the rest of the
bathtub frame, so durability was never an issue.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

oldjag wrote:
Rather than totally reinvent the wheel, has anyone seen any online
plans or photos for a decent barbeque? I'm thinking along the lines
of a compressed air tank split on it's long axis, and actually more of
a grill rather than a smoker/cooker. I need something with about two
to three times the area of a large round Weber.

http://www.thesmokerking.com/customsmoker.html (smoker, easily modified
to make a regular grill)

http://tinyurl.com/2cz3et (smoker, easily modified to make a regular grill)

http://www.livesafe.co.uk/Bricky_BBQ.jpg

BBQ from overclocked PC:
http://www.komar.org/bbq/mm/bbq-pc.jpg

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Abrasha wrote:
oldjag wrote:
Rather than totally reinvent the wheel, has anyone seen any online
plans or photos for a decent barbeque? I'm thinking along the lines
of a compressed air tank split on it's long axis, and actually more of
a grill rather than a smoker/cooker. I need something with about two
to three times the area of a large round Weber.

http://www.thesmokerking.com/customsmoker.html (smoker, easily modified
to make a regular grill)

http://tinyurl.com/2cz3et (smoker, easily modified to make a regular grill)

http://www.livesafe.co.uk/Bricky_BBQ.jpg

BBQ from overclocked PC:
http://www.komar.org/bbq/mm/bbq-pc.jpg

That second one should be
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...47689995inmUvP

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

oups.com...
wrote:
I thought that people make them from oil drums. I personally would not
do it. Our VFW outpost has a very nice cooker made from a large pipe,
like 24". Some even make them towable, what fun.

Grills made from oil drums last about a year in my neck of the woods
before they rot out on the bottom

That depends how you use them.
Some people put a couple inches of sand in the bottom, which helps stop the
bottom rotting out.
Others just use a bit fine mesh to hold the charcoal up, and let some air
through.
And I've even seen somebody with a bit pipe in the bottom with holes drilled
along it's length with compressed air being blown through it.

Main thing is you clean them out afterwards, and not let them stand full of
water.
But at the end of the day, they're cheap, so it's not the end of the world
if you've got to make a new one every couple of years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:21:42 -0700, oldjag wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:35 pm, steamer wrote:
--Too much like work! Getcher self a Meco; they cost a fraction of
what a Weber will set you back and they work better, too.

Well I have Three charcoal Webbers now, all were free - (lots of
people toss them after they go to a gas grill). I want one larger
charcoal grill to take their place. The MECO's are not large enough.

Oil drum?

Have Fun!
Rich

barbeque burner...help ! R and L Catherwood Home Repair 1 August 7th 05 05:47 PM
Barbeque. Arthur UK diy 10 June 27th 05 05:14 PM
Barbeque grills Benny UK diy 7 April 21st 05 05:07 PM
gas burner for barbeque dj UK diy 4 March 22nd 05 04:14 PM
Barbeque advice Jo UK diy 38 July 31st 04 10:01 AM