Old September 5th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need tips on single point threading

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:06:04 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've been able to disengage the half nuts when the tool reaches a
1/16" cutoff tool groove by attaching a dial indicator to the ways
with the plunger touching the carriage, and watching the needle
approach one of the adjustable marker tabs.

jw

I told my coworker about that one and how I wanted to try it. He pulled a
little aluminum casting with some magnets glued in that his buddy made for
him with a dial indicator mounted. Sweet. I didn't have much time to check
it out but I did make a few air passes at 14 tpi 45 rpm with the indicator
and could pull out / unlock in 0.005" travel worst case.

Now where did I put my neodymium magnets, I want to make one of those for my
self.....

That sounds simple enough Wes, rather than re-inventing the
wheel how about some pictures of it when you get a minute.

It sounds like it would be useful to have around for various
tasks.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old September 5th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've been able to disengage the half nuts when the tool reaches a
1/16" cutoff tool groove by attaching a dial indicator to the ways
with the plunger touching the carriage, and watching the needle
approach one of the adjustable marker tabs.

jw

I told my coworker about that one and how I wanted to try it. He pulled a
little aluminum casting with some magnets glued in that his buddy made for
him with a dial indicator mounted. Sweet. I didn't have much time to check
it out but I did make a few air passes at 14 tpi 45 rpm with the indicator
and could pull out / unlock in 0.005" travel worst case.

Now where did I put my neodymium magnets, I want to make one of those for my
self.....

Wes

=======
or click on
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2531
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=891-5401
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Indicator_Back
http://www.hhip.com/products/product...tID=401-0005-5
http://www.phase2plus.com/details.as...cators&i d=95

for some more ideas see
http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA-8.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/13-Jet-Lathe-Dia...QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/apr02/apr02.html
scroll down about 2/3 and also see cross slide travel indicator.
This is good when you "snap retract" the tool out of the cut and
need to go back to the propper depth for another pass.

You do know about setting the compound for 28/29 degrees and
using this to set the depth so you cut only on the leading edge
of the tool?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Old September 5th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1642

jw

Old September 7th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

That sounds simple enough Wes, rather than re-inventing the
wheel how about some pictures of it when you get a minute.

It sounds like it would be useful to have around for various
tasks.

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...icator_vga.jpg

Lost part of it so
http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...se_closeup.jpg

Those partial threads are because I took my first pass and realized the last
user of the lathe hand screwed the compound full forward and jamned it to
take out play in the screw. When I cranked it back and reset over first
pass that made the point where the indicator would hit 12 o'clock some
distance back.

I had no problem stopping and pulling out 0.005 inch travel.

I have a base of my own roughed out, need to pick up some magnets and epoxy
tomorrow.

Wes

Old September 7th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:59:08 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

That sounds simple enough Wes, rather than re-inventing the
wheel how about some pictures of it when you get a minute.

It sounds like it would be useful to have around for various
tasks.

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...icator_vga.jpg

Lost part of it so
http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...se_closeup.jpg

Those partial threads are because I took my first pass and realized the last
user of the lathe hand screwed the compound full forward and jamned it to
take out play in the screw. When I cranked it back and reset over first
pass that made the point where the indicator would hit 12 o'clock some
distance back.

I had no problem stopping and pulling out 0.005 inch travel.

I have a base of my own roughed out, need to pick up some magnets and epoxy
tomorrow.

Thanks Wes.

I'll probably end up making something for myself and it is
always nice to see what others have thought up first. I
usually end up with something slightly different, a
combination of the easiest/best ideas and some of my own
input.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old September 7th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

I have a base of my own roughed out, need to pick up some magnets and epoxy
tomorrow.

Thanks Wes.

I'll probably end up making something for myself and it is
always nice to see what others have thought up first. I
usually end up with something slightly different, a
combination of the easiest/best ideas and some of my own
input.

That is what makes it yours.

I remembered I had some round ceramic magnets that I stuck to the side of my
snowblower years ago so I wouldn't loose them. I've stared at them for
close to a decade wondering when am I going to yank the package off and use
them. I must have got them cheap

My co-workers base had hard drive magnents in it that made it way hard to
bump the indicator. One ceramic magnet holds it against the indicator
spring, three seemed just about right.

The only aluminum I had was a piece of previously used 2" round stock so I
turned it into some flat stock. Aluminum on a bridgeport with carbide is
like cutting whipped cream.

I used a two flute end mill to make pockets for the magnets.

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...agnet_side.jpg

Pardon the crappy cell phone picture but it is what I had to work with atm.
Since my indicator has a lug on back and no barrel to clamp on the top I had
to do it this way.

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...se_profile.jpg

That is an Enco indicator. So old it was made in Japan back when we
outsourced there.

My taps and epoxy are at work so I'll finish this up during lunch or in the
morning after I get back from a machine tool auction.

I need to google up info on a Kemp Smith Horizontal and a John Steptoe
shaper.

Wes
Old September 11th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Wes,,

If threading fully to a shoulder is absolutely necessary, then
sometimes it is possible to add the shoulder later by some means.
Depending on the "meat" forming the shoulder, it is possible to do a
trepanning cut that allows the thread to actually go BEYOND the
shoulder face.

I'm considering adding a ring against the shoulder to get full length
engagement of threads. I'm still practicing my ID / OD threading skills
since I do not want to damage the article I'm trying to fix.

Wes
Old September 11th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've been able to disengage the half nuts when the tool reaches a
1/16" cutoff tool groove by attaching a dial indicator to the ways
with the plunger touching the carriage, and watching the needle
approach one of the adjustable marker tabs.

jw

This indicator idea has been working great. Thanks a bunch.

Today I did some ID threading on some scrap using the indicator to work
things out. I was cutting 20tpi for an ID thread to mate with a 5C collet.
I was hitting my pullout in about a one or two thou. I was thinking of
going up a step on speed but why push it.

Since I had practiced a bunch doing OD threading, I was developing muscle
memory of pulling out CCW as I disengaged the half nuts.

So my first thought of mounting the bar insert up facing me was discarded
for insert down, backside of part. I don't want to have to do a CW pullout
since my muscles just got trained to go CCW and I really hate reversing
reflexes if I can.

I really don't need to see the insert to ID thread, now CCW is the way to
pull out when I hit 12 o'clock on indicator and when I decided I wanted to
look at insert it was easy since the bar was on an Aloris post.

The other nice thing is that the compound did not need to be changed from
the angle it was at of OD threading.

Wes